IT.COM

Feedback, Comments & Suggestions : D.C. Forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all designers and contest holders.

For those that don't know, RJ has elevated my mere mortal status by allowing me to look after the Design Contest Forum (DC Forum) within NamePros. I will endeavor to sort any issues out that people have and generally be the "new Sherriff" in town ;) I don't bite, so please come forward and ask, suggest and give feedback on whatever you feel needs to be addressed. All being well, as a community, we can pull together and make this the best DC Forum on the net.

So, let's get down to business :)

From my experiences so far over the last 3 years, I would say there are potentially 3 concerns people have at present.

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1).

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

There are no doubt additional concerns people have, so please, post them within this thread, and I'll modify it as we go along. I'm not expecting all the answers to drop out of thin air and be resolved by the end of the weekend, however, I do think over the next week / 10days, we can get safeties in place to secure everyone involved in DC's. So, let's address the first potential situation:-

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

There have been several suggestions on this situation. It's not an easy one to control and in many cases it is down to common sense and judgment as to whether the thread starter is likely to do this. In the VAST majority of cases, it doesn't as communities like NP will self regulate itself and thus, if someone tries it on, the other members will warn the community. However, it CAN still happen so we at NP are taking suggestions.

The most likely one being considered at present is a form of "Deposit" made by the contest holder. The recommendation is that when a competition is held, %10-20 is held by either a NP staff member or an agreed "Treasurer" of the forums. This obviously ties the contest holder into the thread / contest financially and thus, should eliminate them running off. Then, when the eventual winner is declared at the agreed time, that 10% is passed over to the competition winner as well as the difference paid by the contest holder.

If, in the unlikely instance the contest holder vanishes, either NamePros staff and/or the viewers of the thread can make a vote as to who has the best design and declare a "winner". That person would then receive the deposit as a form of compensation.

Obviously, the person that held the contest and vanished would be banned from the DC Forum and never be entitled to post a contest thread here again. It may be harsh, but a 1 strike ruling tends to get the message out to the community very quickly and efficiently.

Another option that was put forward is to include the above, but also allow people to post in certain "levels" depending on their feedback, trader rating and post count. So, for example:

This would be more of an addition to the deposit aspect; however, it could also become a stand alone requirement if the community feels this is better than a deposit.

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1)

Again, very much linked with the first situation. The only thing to really add to this is that now I'm here as a forum leader, I WILL expect contest holders to stick to the times given in their original post. I will include some guidelines in another thread as to what should be included in ALL design contests. I do appreciate that there are some designs where you really don’t know what your after (especially for logos!) where it's a free reign. That’s fine, however it is imperative that you give feedback to the designers so they can start afresh, modify or leave the contest.

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

In my eyes, and I'm sure most of the designers out there agree, there is nothing more frustrating and down right annoying than a design you have submitted being "used" within someone else’s design and then submitted to the same contest. In all honesty, I have only seen it happen a couple of times in as many years. In the latest instance, it was all settled amicably and monies were shared. However, it should never happen.

So to those out there that may try to do this, please do NOT. Threads and competitions will be monitored fairly well from now on. If it happens, I feel that they have a single warning and the entry is removed immediately. They are not allowed to continue in that thread / contest. If it happens again, they are banned from the DC Forum. There is clearly a large degree of common sense that needs to be used here. I do not want to see people complaining due to someone else using a Circle or a Square. Or they also used a black/white image of a cow that's standard clip art. We're all grown adults here, let's use common sense and all should be well.

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

Again, with 99% of comps, this is rarely a problem. As the contest holder, please respect the fact that all of the designers here put in a lot of their own time and effort in making these designs. They are not paid a commission or a deposit, there is no money for them if they do not win. The least you can do is give some feedback. Even if it's one or two lines just saying "wrong colors, to dark, not getting the message across" it can help the designer improve themselves and the design.

I know some people are very busy, and thus don’t have a lot of time. You managed to make the time to post a thread and hold a competition. Feedback is part of the competition as much as explaining what you are after or making the final payment to the winner. Please remember what I've said above. These guys and gals have spent THEIR time entering a contest as you have ASKED them to.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These are NOT RULES at present. These are Discussion points before we cast them in stone.

Ok, well, that's enough of a first post from me. Please post away in here with your comments, feedback, suggestions and criticisms. That's the point of this thread. As a community, we will find the perfect balance and move the DC Forum to new levels of thrilling contests and superb design work.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Additional Ideas by Members - Open to discussion

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think they key thing to remember is if this forum is going to work, try to keep it simple. Some of the ideas are good, but maybe a little unrealistic.

Matt said:
I would also like to add, that as the Forum Leader, if need be, I will edit your thread. This is purely to keep things inline with the above rules. I will ALWAYS keep your original content in your post.
Yay! go Matt.

•••
My 2 cents:

- Prepayment by CH in full to staff:

Will keep the CH focused, will make sure even if he's holding the same contest somewhere else someone *will* get paid *in full* here and gives designers more confidence to participate.

- 10% commission of contest prize to staff:

10% of the winning amount should go to staff as a commission for covering their handling of prepayment etc - either have the CH add the 10% to the prize amount so designers will receive prize in full (= CH pays the 10% fee) or withdraw it from the winning designers payment (= designer will pay the 10 % fee)

- No PM's allowed between CH and contest participants:

CH's should not be allowed to contact contest participants before a winner has been declared other than posting in the thread for all to see; this way any "fishy" agreements can be avoided, and any special instructions can be seen by others as well so that feedback helps *all* designers, not just the PM recipient

- A winner *has* to be declared in the contest thread:

Will help to avoid postings like "Thanks guys, a winner has been found and contacted" and no one knows who actually the winner is

- A standard brief that has to be filled out by the CH:

Instead of giving total freedom to the CH in terms of how to write a briefing i think the better idea would be to have a standard form that would be mandatory to fill out by the CH *before* being able to post a contest.This form would include questions/topics like "Company name ?", " Color sheme ?", "Company's core business ?" etc.

This way there would be made sure a certain standard is met in terms of neccessary information to get the contest started; it also would help those CH's that are unsure what to write in their brief.

- File standards for designers:

There should be a mandatory standard in terms of file delivery and formats.

This means 3 rules:

1) A rule that says if it's a logo contest the logo *has* to be delivered at least in one true vector format like .ai or .eps plus any other format the CH requires (would have to be requested in the standard brief by the CH).

2) A rule that makes it mandatory for designers to post a b/w version of their logo entry along with their original concept and that has to be included in the final file delivery as well.

3) Third rule would be to post and deliver their logo in a spot color version or at least a cmyk-non gradient version as well.

Reason is, i have seen already too many contest entries here where i can assure you the CH won't be happy with their logo because either he one day will realize the format he got the logo in is not resizable without loss (.psd for instance) so it won't be usable for billboard size printing or he will have to realize all the nice gradients in the design will cost him a fortune to print or all the nice (bitmap) drop shadows and blurs wont print on a t-shirt.

Or that the nice colorful logo looks like a muddy piece of dirt when put on a fax sheet because he had no clue that fax machines print colors as either black or white and *not* in greyscale.

And no, it's not the CH's duty to specify the formats and use of a logo really - afterall the CH is not the expert but the designers should be.So it's only fair and professional to have a standard for formats and files in place so the CH can be sure his logo will work in *ANY* situation, even and most important in situations he might not have thought of at the time of posting the contest.

That's basically my suggestions but there might be one or two other ones that i have not thought of, if so i will post them later.

:)

Last edited:
•••
beatz said:
My 2 cents:

This means 3 rules:

1) A rule that says if it's a logo contest the logo *has* to be delivered at least in one true vector format like .ai or .eps plus any other format the CH requires (would have to be requested in the standard brief by the CH).

2) A rule that makes it mandatory for designers to post a b/w version of their logo entry along with their original concept and that has to be included in the final file delivery as well.

3) Third rule would be to post and deliver their logo in a spot color version or at least a cmyk-non gradient version as well.

Reason is, i have seen already too many contest entries here where i can assure you the CH won't be happy with their logo because either he one day will realize the format he got the logo in is not resizable without loss (.psd for instance) so it won't be usable for billboard size printing or he will have to realize all the nice gradients in the design will cost him a fortune to print or all the nice (bitmap) drop shadows and blurs wont print on a t-shirt.

Or that the nice colorful logo looks like a muddy piece of dirt when put on a fax sheet because he had no clue that fax machines print colors as either black or white and *not* in greyscale.

And no, it's not the CH's duty to specify the formats and use of a logo really - afterall the CH is not the expert but the designers should be.So it's only fair and professional to have a standard for formats and files in place so the CH can be sure his logo will work in *ANY* situation, even and most important in situations he might not have thought of at the time of posting the contest.

That's basically my suggestions but there might be one or two other ones that i have not thought of, if so i will post them later.

I had no idea to even watch for some of those issues...
thank you very much for sharing this information...
NP$ sent and Rep. added...

thanks...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

launching - Oct. 5th - ReggingDRUNK.com

•••
YIKES! another long poster....Right...here it goes...

*deeeeep breath*

beatz said:
My 2 cents:

- Prepayment by CH in full to staff:

Will keep the CH focused, will make sure even if he's holding the same contest somewhere else someone *will* get paid *in full* here and gives designers more confidence to participate.

- 10% commission of contest prize to staff:

10% of the winning amount should go to staff as a commission for covering their handling of prepayment etc - either have the CH add the 10% to the prize amount so designers will receive prize in full (= CH pays the 10% fee) or withdraw it from the winning designers payment (= designer will pay the 10 % fee)

- No PM's allowed between CH and contest participants:

CH's should not be allowed to contact contest participants before a winner has been declared other than posting in the thread for all to see; this way any "fishy" agreements can be avoided, and any special instructions can be seen by others as well so that feedback helps *all* designers, not just the PM recipient

- A winner *has* to be declared in the contest thread:

Will help to avoid postings like "Thanks guys, a winner has been found and contacted" and no one knows who actually the winner is

- A standard brief that has to be filled out by the CH:

Instead of giving total freedom to the CH in terms of how to write a briefing i think the better idea would be to have a standard form that would be mandatory to fill out by the CH *before* being able to post a contest.This form would include questions/topics like "Company name ?", " Color sheme ?", "Company's core business ?" etc.

This way there would be made sure a certain standard is met in terms of neccessary information to get the contest started; it also would help those CH's that are unsure what to write in their brief.

Ok, first and foremost, this is important. I'm not sure you have actually fully read the terms that have been put in place so far for Designers and CH's. I would suggest all who are following this thread do so.

1) This is already being discussed and there are some concerns. On the whole, it is likely to go ahead.

2) This is something we are also looking at in relation to point #1.

3) This is a very hard one to enforce. I agree to a point, however, the object of the DC Forums is that the contest holder a) picks a winner from the thread and b) the CH get's what they wanted. In many ways, these are the core concerns. If they are achieved all is good. I do understand what you are saying and it is something I would encourage debate about. I see no reason why it should goto PM within a Live Contest.

4) Already being enforced (From Friday last week!)

5) Already incorporated. Please read the CH Thread in my signature.

- File standards for designers:

This means 3 rules:

1) I disagree completely with this. If the logo is required for a website, there is technically no reason it MUST be in a vector format. By doing this, you restrict the entries to the competition and effectively make it a closed marketplace for "vector" designers. This would never be enforced and in my eyes will always be down to the CH to specify this. If they ONLY want vector entries, then they can post this within the "requirements" part of the original post.

2) Absolutely no reason for this either. I have never, and am unlikely to ever want a black and white version. (bear with me..more to come about this).

3) Again, no real reason for this either. Read further for the explinations as to why.

I feel these 3 points have been put in purely from a "design to print" perspective. I have worked within printers before where we have designed for hard copy, online material and coffe cups/t-shirts etc. There is certainly a vast different between "print" and "Web" design levels.

If the contestant is holding a contest for a logo / design that IS to be used in this capacity, I would find it very hard to believe that they are going to get 1,000 t-shirts printed (or coffee mugs, or whatever) and have not spoken to the printers about what they require the design to be in. If they DO NOT know this information, then they clearly haven't investigated what they are doing properly and thus the Designer should not and can not be held liable for this.

I agree, that this should be bought to the attention of contest holders however, and thus, I would suggest that I include a certain section within the CH Thread Sticky about it.

And no, it's not the CH's duty to specify the formats and use of a logo really - afterall the CH is not the expert

Wrong again I'm afraid. It is totally down to the CH to know what they want. Back down to knowing what you want. Ambiguity is no excuse. YOU are holding a contest. YOU are responsible to define what you are after. Look at it this way. If I said I wanted a blue car and I will give you $10,000 to a sales man, he would go and get me a blue car and I would have to give him the 10k. Could be a dodge sedan, could be a sporty ferrari, could be a skoda estate. I have not specified anything more, and he has contractually delivered. Now, if I said I wanted a blue car, 2 door, sporty, ideally a convertible with alloys and a killer stereo in it, I would get a very different type of car for my 10k. (And before someone says it, I know it's an extreme example).

The point is, the CH should know what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what they are after. Otherwise, you will get pretty much anything.

Thanks for the feedback and look forward to more suggestions :)

Rgds
Matt

Next Please...

Jaynesh said:
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Winner chosen]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Abandoned]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Closed]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Temp closed] or [REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Pending winner]
[REQ-LOGO] - Brief description [Under Investigation]

You may have noticed, this is being somewhat addopted. I think changing the "REQ-xxxx" part is better, simply as it keeps the title in line with everything and saves more space for the original description :)

As for the "Abandoned" suggestion, it's irrlevant as no one will let this happen ever again...will they *looks sternly at all CH's!*

Next Please...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Matt for your replies.

I still strongly disagree with you though.

It's very simple:

- A client doesn't have to know *anything* about printing or file formats.
- It's the designer who must ensure the files delivered will provide the maximum flexibility for a client, as said even for situations the client might not think of now but that might occur later.
- Maximum felxibility is only ensured through vector files, simple as that.

I can assure you that file delivery in a vector format, an additional b&w version and spot color version are definately the industry standard.Anything below is unprofessional.

How can you say "you" don't need a b&w version ? What do you know if a CH simply thinks his logo will work on a fax machine because noone told him differently ?

*We* as designers should make sure the client gets files delivered that meet a certain standard - i really can't understand how this can even be argued.

•••
- A client doesn't have to know *anything* about printing or file formats.

ok, i cant say i agree with this all the way. The bigest problem with this is that allmost all the designers use different programs (i.e. Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Namo Web Canvas[my personal fav.], and Photo Shop), there for, the CH might end up with a .tng(Namo) .AI(Illustrator) .psd(photoshop) or even a .cdr(Corel)

now i dobut every printer is going to have ALL the GFX design programs on there machine. Least of all Namo(that just happens to be the program i learned on :D).

I personaly learned on Namo, and then switched to Corel, but now i use both. But im more likely to provide the .tng than the .cdr, i jsut happen to know namo better than Corel. but im learning :D.

Any way, i tell everyone that wants the vector file to go to Namo.com and download the free triel. its only good for 30 days, but you can do a lot in that 30 days. or even have there printer download the trile.

That is just my 2¢ worth :D

Jon

•••
The answer to the problem with all the different GFX programs is simple:

Industry standards.That's why they're there.

When it comes to vector files, there are exactly 2 formats that are considered industry standard:

.ai and .eps

Every halfway decent vector program is able to export to these formats as well as to import them.

If your program doesn't export/import at least one of those 2 formats, look for a different program.

If it does export/import but you don't know how to do it, learn it.Tons of tutorials out there.

Again, it's the designers who should be savy about file formats and when to use which, not the client.All the client needs is to have all potentially needed files in his hands, go to the printer and have the printer pick the format he is comfortable with.

But in order for a client to be able do that, the designer must hand him out industry standard files first - again, pretty simple actually.

As said, i find it ridiculous to even argue about that; if you want a new suit, do you really tell the tailor which yarn to use or do you trust and expect the tailor to know which yarn is industry standard ? So if the suit breaks apart, and the tailor tells you that you didn't specify which yarn you wanted the suit to be sawn with, so he used a thin one - will you agree and walk away ?

Or will you tell him that as he is a professional you expected him to know himself what yarn is best to use and that it shouldn't be you to tell him ?

You see.

•••
Do you think a professional designer would be coming here to make their money?... I think not.
Contest holders come here because they know they will get a design very cheap. Look at most of the ch's, they have been coming here for ages, most of them are web designers and probably most are professional. If a web designer does not know about format and the differences then they should go and learn so they truly know what they will get in the end product.
What you are saying beatz is that a ch should not have to know a thing about what they want and what they will use it for. So if examples are being given, here's mine...
I go to the tailor, ask for a suit, I don't tell him/her what I want it for. I go to collect it. He/she made me a suit I would wear to the office. I wanted a tux.

So, a ch should say what the design will be used for. Then he/she will not end up with something that will not print on a t-shirt or just be some 'muddy' piece of crap.
If I see a ch requires vector format only, then I will know not to enter a design made with photoshop.

All this talk about industry and professionalism... you are at the wrong place for that.
If I was a pro I would be making thousands of dollars, pounds etc working for a company or myself. I would not be selling designs here for as little $10.
Contest holders know this too. They know they are getting a bargain when they come here and they know the designs will be of a very high standard.

If NP was a company and employed the designers then you would have a an argument, the ch would have to pay a lot more money too plus VAT. Infact, there would be no contests.

•••
A path in photoshop with some standard text is just as vector as a .eps created with illustrator. Don't let file format confuse you, PSDs can contain vector data as well. Ever heard of the pen tool?

PDFs can contain vector data too. Hell, so can .doc (remember clipart?).

•••
DylanButler said:
A path in photoshop with some standard text is just as vector as a .eps created with illustrator.

See that's why i am saying we need some standards.

A path in photoshop is so NOT just as vector as an Illustrator created .eps

I will not go into technical details here, but it's a common misconception (especially amongst webdesigners) about PS being able to export to true vector.

It can NOT.

And about .doc - are you kidding, the clipart that is embedded in .doc documents most times is .wmf which is a vector format indeed but of course .doc itself has nothing to do with vector at all.

In contrary, .pdf *can* be fully editable as it is Illustrators true native format (not .ai despite what most people think) so yes, .pdf can be an acceptable file format but only if it will be edited in Illustrator, while .eps and .ai can be edited in a whole bunch of programs.

Whatever - i agree in a $100 contest CH's maybe can not really expect professional and industry standard results, then again even $10 are wasted when the client can not use the file in the end.

And really i think it's not a question of money but rather of work ethics.

To each their own....;)

Last edited:
•••
I agree all the way with beatz here :)

•••
Maybe this has already been set up, so forgive me for being redundant, how about a brief description of file formats from which the CH can choose when starting a contest? That way, even if they don't know what means what or what they require, it's right there in front of them.

•••
xpressions said:
Maybe this has already been set up, so forgive me for being redundant, how about a brief description of file formats from which the CH can choose when starting a contest? That way, even if they don't know what means what or what they require, it's right there in front of them.

I've not seen anything like that on NP yet...

and I think it would be an excellent tool for CH's....

thanks for thinking of it and taking the time to share your thoughts...

smile...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

•••
Great work Matt in cleaning up and organizing the design threads.

Well done!

•••
Firstly, I'm not going to respond to each and every post since my last response, as this is EXACTLY what I want to see. Different CH's and Designers debating various rules / regs / standards for the forums.

So, with that in mind (and the fact the acution is on and it's friday AND I havent done my rounds in the forums yet!) I'll make it brief.

I agree to an extent with what beatz is saying, however, I also feel there is a HUGE point that is benig forgoten. As far as I can see, in all the points raised, we are talking about vector images and the use of them on T-shirts, mugs, etc.

As I said previously, I understand and do agree with the comments / arguements made. IF the CH wants to use the design for that, then yes, it should be vector, scalable, and be of a certain "dots per inch" (if memory serves) so it is scalable and the print repro comes out well. It should also, as beatz has pointed out, be in a color coded format where the colour numbers are potentially defined, as again, this can drasticly increase the prices.

In this instance, I also agree that a basic "rule of thumb" shuold be produced. Something along the lines of a 1 / 0 tree should work.

Question One : Is this design for all media (mugs, t-shirts,etc) or for Web Only?
Answer : All Media - See Point 1
Answer : Web Only - See Point 2

Then in each of these points we define the layout / colors / format that entries should be provided.

Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated on the above point...

Next please...

Right, onto the comments about "professionalism". This bothered me ALOT!

In many ways no, NamePros design contest have not been professional. There are many reasons and possibly even excuses, but the core thing to remember is that NP was built on Domain Names, and that is the core reason for being. I would argue it is possibly one of the leading (if not THE leading) sites on the net for this topic. The DC Forum was a natural progresion and bolt on to the offerings of the site as a whole. It's becoming a strong part of the community as well. People buy domains, now they want a nice site. Logical step. The DC Forums however, have NOT been regulated or formulised properly. Hence the reason I took this task on. I used to spend 3 hrs a night on CSS. For the last 2 weeks, I've played 1 hr in total as I'm here sorting stuff out and thinking about it. It's going to take time yes, but I do not appreciate people walking in putting it down. We know there are problems, Hence this thread. Lets MAKE IT RIGHT!.

As commented above, the majority of people who post contests and such do get a high level of quality for the money offered. Many of the designers I know here and have spoken to, all say irrelevant of whether it's a $20 comp or a $200 comp, sometimes the designs happens in minutes and just somes, other times it takes thought, time, and several attempts before even as the designer, your happy to post it publicly.

This to me implies that there IS a high level of skill and effort here that is put in, thus, I'm putting in the effort and time to try to make this work.

Sooo, there's my feedback on everything :)

Keep the comments and debate flowing people, as I'm working on the rules and regs again over the weekend :)

Thanks & Next Please...

•••
Although the designers here at NP produce designs at a professional level and sometimes even better than a 'professional designer', a contest holder can not expect designers here to be of a professional mind. They can not expect to get the whole professional package, because that would be far too expensive.
How many designers here know the difference between vector and non vector, how many designers know what can be printed with quality and what can't? I don't suppose many, not until now anyway.

Therefor, all contest holders should state in their request post what format they want the design to be made in or, at least say what the design will be used for. This way the contest holder is protected and also the designer is protected.

Adobe introduced Illustrator to do the one thing Photoshop can not produce... Vector!

•••
Here's a suggestion,
merge the rules threads so there arn't so many stickies.

Thanks.

•••
Maybe you could show the number of days the thread has been opened.

It will be easier for you, the designers, and the CH to know how long this comepetition has been going on for.

I saw something like this on digital point, heres an example:

http://forums.DigitalPoint/forumdisplay.php?f=19

•••
I wanted to congratulate Ami on her win for the contest badge. CONGRATS, Ami. Good one! And it looks very nice, as seen on Matt's ID.

•••
xpressions said:
I wanted to congratulate Ami on her win for the contest badge. CONGRATS, Ami. Good one! And it looks very nice, as seen on Matt's ID.

I agree.... it is pretty... I have it in mine....

<------------------take a peek

I am getting ready to do another contest this week...
for a LOGO for ReggingDRUNK.com

it's time I moved forward on that... so..... that's just what I'll do...

wink...

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

. . . . ReggingDRUNK.com - Launching SOON...

•••
Congrats to you DB, for being the first CH to wear it! It looks mighty fine, and well deserved. Should I have a concept for your contest, I will most certainly enter...sometimes the well is dry (artist block). Otherwise, good luck with it! Cheers!

•••
hehehehe...

I hear ya Xpressions ;) The well does indeed dry....SOrry DB, men go thought this ;) LMAO

As or the comment about "Merging" stickys/comments.

It WILL be done. for now, I want to see all the inputs tho.

I know I'm taking my time, and I will, sorry....but I'm gunna make this work.

I think most can agree, on general, the forums is looking better. I've been away for 3-4 days, so been a little "left alone" but that will change over the next 2 days.

Rgds
MAtt

•••
Matt: you are doing an excellent job...recall: rome was not built in a day. It's better to take your time and try to do it right.

•••
beatz said:
A path in photoshop is so NOT just as vector as an Illustrator created .eps

Sorry wrong- paths are vector data which means they are based off of equations, thus they are infinitely scalable.

Illustrator has more vector features, that's all.
Some PSDs are prime for print, others are not. Really that is where the quality and spec of work comes into play.
It really depends on what is contained in the .PSD. There is no degree to vector, either an object is scalable or not. This has already been discussed here, and if you still need more information then see the detailed answer below.

http://www.vectortea.com/vtut/basic.html

BTW See this PDF I just exported from photoshop. It seems there is an 'Include vector data' checkbox for a reason. filesize: <1M.

PS Matt forums are looking great :)

Last edited:
•••
please don't have the thread titles centered. it makes it much easier to check what kind of contest it is if it is left justify. also, can we possibly reduce the amount of stickies/announcements? it's getting pretty cluttered in here

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back