Domain Empire

Feedback, Comments & Suggestions : D.C. Forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all designers and contest holders.

For those that don't know, RJ has elevated my mere mortal status by allowing me to look after the Design Contest Forum (DC Forum) within NamePros. I will endeavor to sort any issues out that people have and generally be the "new Sherriff" in town ;) I don't bite, so please come forward and ask, suggest and give feedback on whatever you feel needs to be addressed. All being well, as a community, we can pull together and make this the best DC Forum on the net.

So, let's get down to business :)

From my experiences so far over the last 3 years, I would say there are potentially 3 concerns people have at present.

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1).

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

There are no doubt additional concerns people have, so please, post them within this thread, and I'll modify it as we go along. I'm not expecting all the answers to drop out of thin air and be resolved by the end of the weekend, however, I do think over the next week / 10days, we can get safeties in place to secure everyone involved in DC's. So, let's address the first potential situation:-

1) Contest Holders posting the thread, offering a prize and are never heard from again (possibly even taking one of the designs as well!).

There have been several suggestions on this situation. It's not an easy one to control and in many cases it is down to common sense and judgment as to whether the thread starter is likely to do this. In the VAST majority of cases, it doesn't as communities like NP will self regulate itself and thus, if someone tries it on, the other members will warn the community. However, it CAN still happen so we at NP are taking suggestions.

The most likely one being considered at present is a form of "Deposit" made by the contest holder. The recommendation is that when a competition is held, %10-20 is held by either a NP staff member or an agreed "Treasurer" of the forums. This obviously ties the contest holder into the thread / contest financially and thus, should eliminate them running off. Then, when the eventual winner is declared at the agreed time, that 10% is passed over to the competition winner as well as the difference paid by the contest holder.

If, in the unlikely instance the contest holder vanishes, either NamePros staff and/or the viewers of the thread can make a vote as to who has the best design and declare a "winner". That person would then receive the deposit as a form of compensation.

Obviously, the person that held the contest and vanished would be banned from the DC Forum and never be entitled to post a contest thread here again. It may be harsh, but a 1 strike ruling tends to get the message out to the community very quickly and efficiently.

Another option that was put forward is to include the above, but also allow people to post in certain "levels" depending on their feedback, trader rating and post count. So, for example:

This would be more of an addition to the deposit aspect; however, it could also become a stand alone requirement if the community feels this is better than a deposit.

2) Contest Holders posting a thread, and the deadline not being held and the competition effectively dying out (similar to #1)

Again, very much linked with the first situation. The only thing to really add to this is that now I'm here as a forum leader, I WILL expect contest holders to stick to the times given in their original post. I will include some guidelines in another thread as to what should be included in ALL design contests. I do appreciate that there are some designs where you really don’t know what your after (especially for logos!) where it's a free reign. That’s fine, however it is imperative that you give feedback to the designers so they can start afresh, modify or leave the contest.

3) Designs that are submitted, being used in someone else’s design (Rare, but has happened).

In my eyes, and I'm sure most of the designers out there agree, there is nothing more frustrating and down right annoying than a design you have submitted being "used" within someone else’s design and then submitted to the same contest. In all honesty, I have only seen it happen a couple of times in as many years. In the latest instance, it was all settled amicably and monies were shared. However, it should never happen.

So to those out there that may try to do this, please do NOT. Threads and competitions will be monitored fairly well from now on. If it happens, I feel that they have a single warning and the entry is removed immediately. They are not allowed to continue in that thread / contest. If it happens again, they are banned from the DC Forum. There is clearly a large degree of common sense that needs to be used here. I do not want to see people complaining due to someone else using a Circle or a Square. Or they also used a black/white image of a cow that's standard clip art. We're all grown adults here, let's use common sense and all should be well.

4) Lack of Feedback on Designs entered.

Again, with 99% of comps, this is rarely a problem. As the contest holder, please respect the fact that all of the designers here put in a lot of their own time and effort in making these designs. They are not paid a commission or a deposit, there is no money for them if they do not win. The least you can do is give some feedback. Even if it's one or two lines just saying "wrong colors, to dark, not getting the message across" it can help the designer improve themselves and the design.

I know some people are very busy, and thus don’t have a lot of time. You managed to make the time to post a thread and hold a competition. Feedback is part of the competition as much as explaining what you are after or making the final payment to the winner. Please remember what I've said above. These guys and gals have spent THEIR time entering a contest as you have ASKED them to.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These are NOT RULES at present. These are Discussion points before we cast them in stone.

Ok, well, that's enough of a first post from me. Please post away in here with your comments, feedback, suggestions and criticisms. That's the point of this thread. As a community, we will find the perfect balance and move the DC Forum to new levels of thrilling contests and superb design work.

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Additional Ideas by Members - Open to discussion

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for getting this started, Matt!

You summarized everything pretty well. I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on each of these issues from contest starters and designers alike.

Don't be shy!

RJ

•••
Ill get right into it.

Suggestions:
- Frequent contest holders and those with good trader ratings etc, could have highlighted posts.
- If the deadline is not met by the contest holder, they will recieve less of their deposit back (each day = more money). But they can still extend the contest, as long as it is before the deadline.

And I posted this in the other thread...

1. The title of each contest should include what it is, but use a consistant template... eg:
- [Logo] - [Template]

2. The forums posts should stay put, not moving based on last post, but on date they were posted. It will just add a bit of order in my opinion.

3. The contest holder must pay NPs or money to start a competition. A small fee. This will be no problem to a contest holder who actualy intends on paying for designs!

I have more, but they are three I can think off the top of my head.

Im willing to discuss all of them with anyone who has questions."

Thanks,
James.

•••
Thanks for the immediate feedback James.

Your first point about "established contest holders" I think is a VERY good idea. Maybe include a certain "logo" under their trader rating showing that they are regular contest holders, reliable, etc. This could ultimately remove them from the requirement of having to pay a deposit as they are established and trusted within the community.

Your second suggestion:
I think then taking a % based on if it's delayed etc would cause complications. It's going to be a bit of an administrative nightmare to a degree in the first place. So, in light of this, I'd like to try to keep things as simple as possible.

1) I agree with this. This will be part of the intended "requirements for post" I mentioned.

2) This would cause problems in my opinion. If there are a lot of competitions being posted (which has happened on many occasions) over a small period of time, some will end up being forgoton / moved off screen, etc. Personally, I think it's good to see the threads that are causing activity and are encouraging people to enter. This highlights what makes a good competition aswell. Hopefully, those that started a contest and got no responses can see that there is activity in the forum, just that maybe what they wanted was not realistic for the money/prize being offered.

3) This is linked into the first idea to stop people from vanishing. Sticking with a deposit with zero refund where the money is given to the contest winner is probably the way forward.

Thanks for the feedback tho, keep it comming.

•••
Yeah Deposit is better then a fee. I see where you are coming from with the 2nd idea.. I suppose if all the tittles are named properly there will be no confusion.

•••
Ive seen a bit of this lately. People offering their opinions on designs (and sometimes telling the designer how to change it) when they are not the contest holder. They could be leading the designer in a totally wrong direction. I think they should keep their comments to themselves. I think things like completements on designs should be reserved for PM's and the contest forums should not be used as a social forum, there are other forums for that.

Sorry for the rant :)

•••
I understand what your saying James.

It's a tricky one. It is always appreciated from a design aspect for the feedback, but again, if it is by the someone other than the contest holder, indeed it could lead you in the wrong direction. I have seen it a couple of times recently, however to be honest, the comment was leading the designer in the RIGHT direction....

We'll leave this open for discussion :)

•••
Matt said:
I have seen it a couple of times recently, however to be honest, the comment was leading the designer in the RIGHT direction....
If I were holding a contest I wouldnt want anyones opinion on how to change it, because the designs are for me.

Just another thought. What do you think about min prize amounts?

I personaly believe there should be one, say $20.

•••
My personal opinion is no, there shouldnt be. I think all contest holders should understand by now, or once they have read some of the sticky's and read some of the contests what is a semi-reasonable amount to offer. If you lowball the designers, then clearly you are unlikely to get any responses.

Like domain names, a design is technically worth as much as someone will pay for it :)

•••
But when people do start $10 logo competitions and get good work, other people start thinking, well I can get the same logo for $10 as when I offer $20... And slowly, over time, you wont be getting higher paid designs, that will attract more designers, and from that, more contest holders.

•••
this is just me, but i dont think that the CH's should be paying in NP$. That is just to much work for me to go cash them in. and really i dont know what the current exchange rate is for them, so i really dont know how much 2500 NP$ is?

Just a though....

And thx Matt

•••
Exchange rate is presently circa .2, thus = $50.00 :)

As for the comments on the "payment in NP$" I totally agree. The only alternative is, for example, if they were to post : Payment: $50 or $2500 NP$

Then the buyer could make a choice, but there should ALWAYS be a cash option imo.

Rgds
Matt

•••
serously, paying in NP$ is a cheasy way of makeing the contest look like it is wotth more.

Matt, if i may be blunt, The problems in the DC forums are very bad right now. people walking out, not paying, using the same design in multiple contest, no feed back.... and the list goes on and on.....

I applud you for takeing over the role of fourm leader, but what are you going to do about all this? i understand takeing ideas before implementing anything, but, really... what do you have in mind right now. What are YOU thinking is the best way to pervent this?

I understand verymuch that you cant make it disapare, but you (WE) can make it slowe down to a crawl....... As you can tell by my number of posts, i havnt been a member for all that long. But i have still entered enough contest's to know this stuff happens. i would be stupid to think it didnt.

Thank you SY4

Jon

•••
I agree.. Cash should always be an option, as in, the contest holder cashes in the NP's.

•••
developing from Devery's suggestion...

Regular users should still be allowed to hold contests but there also should be a Contest holders usergroup, users that are part of this group could have a little image saying something like 'Verified contest holder'. in their profile There should also be requirements for the contest holders group such as:

A minimum of five positive trader rating.
A minimum of five successful competitions.
A member of namepros for atleast 30days.

il think of more when they come into my head :)

Maybe

Any users that are in the 'Contest holder' group can maybe get their thread highlighted for free, after it has been approved by the staff.

There could maybe also be a 'Verified contest participator' usergroup as well. :)

A successful entry in atleast five competitions.

Last edited:
•••
Very good ideas. I have had some thoughts to add but every one of them has been covered by other posters.

Good luck, Matt, and I am sure this board will only improve with you as its moderator.

•••
I like many of the ideas coming up as possible solutions.

Matt, its something you covered in your original post, but I would like to reiterate...

Contest Holders - Please, post comments, criticism, suggestions etc. On content submissions. Lately I have seen contents where submissions either go an entire contest without any sort of feedback or they simply get an "I dont like it". Please, be as clear as possible when it comes to your feedback.

•••
Matt, if i may be blunt, The problems in the DC forums are very bad right now. people walking out, not paying, using the same design in multiple contest, no feed back.... and the list goes on and on.....

Jon,

Please complete the list. I need to know ALL the concerns of the designers AND thread holders. As you can see from RJ's post about me becoming the new mod, this is being actively looked at from about 13 hrs ago!

I applud you for takeing over the role of fourm leader, but what are you going to do about all this? i understand takeing ideas before implementing anything, but, really... what do you have in mind right now. What are YOU thinking is the best way to pervent this?

Please bear in mind, a knee jerk reaction is something that can kill a forum quciker than spending a couple of days evaluating the damage. I work day in day out with blue chip companies supplying them with Project Managers that go in to sort out problems created by knee jerk reactions. It costs these companies potentially millions in problems. Ok, the effect isn't like that in monetry value in NP, however, when it gets bigger and more prominant than it already is, putting in the RIGHT controls over a week is a small price to pay for the long term benefits!

I understand verymuch that you cant make it disapare, but you (WE) can make it slowe down to a crawl....... As you can tell by my number of posts, i havnt been a member for all that long. But i have still entered enough contest's to know this stuff happens. i would be stupid to think it didnt.

Technically wrong. It can be made to "disapear". However, it wont happen over night. The problems that are arising everyone is aware of, hence my "promotion" or "baptism in fire" ;)

The first port of call, is to let people know there is an active mod, who WILL change the post of a contest holder if need be. I'm not in this as a fad. I've been around for a while and in the NP forums for over 3 years. I'm not going to totally rule by a stick, but I am going to be very firm. Yes, this is likely to cause a minor dip in the contests, depending how contest holders take it, but i the long run, people will understand it's for both the benefit of the contest holder AND the designers.

For the contest holders, they get fast responses, matching their requirements.
For the designers, they get feedback, responses and ultimately payment.

Hope this answers some of your concerns. I know I haven't provided a "list" of rules, implications, cast in stone regulations. I'm not prepared and will not be forced into making a fast judgement on this kind of problem. I've looked after communities of 200k+ users, and it's a complete bitch at times. Set it up right initially, over a period of time, and it can be a pleasure :)

Regular users should still be allowed to hold contests but there also should be a Contest holders usergroup, users that are part of this group could have a little image saying something like 'Verified contest holder'. in their profile There should also be requirements for the contest holders group such as:

A minimum of five successful competitions.

Jay, as you know, this is something I am keen on. RJ and I are discussing this at present. I think including some kind of "tag" for regular, known, contest holders is a definate approach (As mentioned in my original post).

Putting it in place on a technical level may be another thing entirely, however, I am keen on this. A good example of this would be Domain Bell (Hoope she doesn't mind me using her as an example). She is always clear, concise and gives solid feedback. She also reliably pays the winners of ALL her contests.

As for the "maybe" part, I agree to a point. Ultimately, it does come down to the technical backend that RJ and Staff can provide. It is certainly food for thought and I would like to hear others feedback on Jays comments please :)

Contest Holders - Please, post comments, criticism, suggestions etc. On content submissions. Lately I have seen contents where submissions either go an entire contest without any sort of feedback or they simply get an "I dont like it". Please, be as clear as possible when it comes to your feedback.

LazyD, this is something I will initially be manually pushing. As I mentioned, I will be going into peoples posts and adjusting them to reflect the new "requirements". I will also be tracking the new posts heavily. In this instance, certainly for the next week or 2, I would appreciate all peoples feedback on posts that are not providing this kind of information. I will try to track everything as best I can, but I do have a day job which pays the bills so all help is appreciated.

Ultimately, the DC Forums should really be self regulated. We are all old enough and ugly enough to do this ;) :yell:

Hope this gives you all something to think about and answers the questions ;)

Rgds
Matt

Last edited:
•••
you are right, it was a "knee jerk" responce, and it is just me being more flustrated than anything els.

you truely are a wise old NP'r :P

Thank you:
Jon

P.S. Sorry about my spelling :D I do GFX, not spelling :D

Last edited:
•••
I like the idea of some sort of group, something to make those contest holders stand out. But I dont believe it should be decided apon statistics. They can help, but ultimatly it should be a decision made by one of the mods.

EDIT: What do you all think of the idea that, say Matt, has the power to edit and change contest holders posts so that they follow the template guidelines? Could put in the rules, "Posts are subject to change to follow template guidlines". What do you think?

Designers - Watermark your entries. No excuses. They will be deleted on sight.
Thank you.

- SV, taken from the "Subforum Rules" Thread.

Whats everyones thought on that?

Last edited:
•••
Matt said:
Exchange rate is presently circa .2, thus = $50.00 :)

As for the comments on the "payment in NP$" I totally agree. The only alternative is, for example, if they were to post : Payment: $50 or $2500 NP$

Then the buyer could make a choice, but there should ALWAYS be a cash option imo.

Rgds
Matt
After some thinking, I do have a few suggestions:

1. Contest holders should pay either all cash or all NP$ for contests. I personally am getting fed up with contest holders offering a $5 or $10 prize plus $50 or so in "links". I strongly believe that if a contest holder cannot offer either all cash or all NP$ (NO, not combos of both), then they shouldn't be coming here asking for a freshly designed unique logo.

2. Implement a "one strike you're out" policy for copyright infringement. I have seen countless logos that are ripoffs of other logos which are copyrighted by other companies. For example, there was a contest for a "WIFI Enabled" logo that took place over this past summer. One of the entrants directly copied a logo from another site and passed it off as his own, only adding the "Enabled" text below the original "WI-FI" on the logo. This is by all means illegal, and should NOT be allowed nor tolerated here at all. I personally feel that anybody who excercises such acts should be banned from the forums.

3. Do not allow any posts to be posted within a contest if they are not from the contest holder or entries by designers. If you think about it, anything somebody besides the contest holder would post in a contest topic that is not a submission for the contest could be said through a PM. For example, one user above this post stated that other members offering criticism on logos was not good. I couldn't agree more. The user may influence the contest holder to think differently about a submission. Only allow contest submissions and posts from the contest holder to be posted in a contest thread.

Thanks for reading my lengthy suggestions, but if they are implemented then I am sure this board will become a better, more productive place.

•••
I really can't think of anything to add at the moment. I'm just glad to see problems being addressed. There are some really good ideas floating around and I hope some of them can be implemented without causing the NP staff a lot of extra work. Many thanks Matt for taking the time to sort this out.

•••
Too much crap to read but here's a suggestion per the required feedback:
If I am a contest holder and don't like your design nor want to offer feedback; don't take it personal. I'm not going to waste my time sugarcoating it or telling you how to make your bad design better. If you've got no chance of winning, it's usually obvious.

This is not the kiddy pool. Sure it's a place of learning yada yada, there's plenty of designers here who can offer professional feedback.

•••
DylanButler said:
If I am a contest holder and don't like your design nor want to offer feedback; don't take it personal. I'm not going to waste my time sugarcoating it or telling you how to make your bad design better. If you've got no chance of winning, it's usually obvious.

This is not the kiddy pool. Sure it's a place of learning yada yada, there's plenty of designers here who can offer professional feedback.

Were not looking for feedback from other designers, were looking for feedback from the CH. If your feed back consists of "your work sucks balls, get it out of my contest" or "never submit a design to one of my contests again" im sure we can be adults about it and not go off on a rant about it.

Like Matt said, were all adults here. we can take the good and bad alike.

Feed back from the CH is the best way to ensure YOU get the best logo or GFX posiable, By leading the designers in the right driction. Without feedback were shooting in the dark and not getting anything done. Its just a wast of our/your time.

Jon

Last edited:
•••
DylanButler said:

I have to disagree with you. A little respect/common courtesy goes a long way. Feedback doesn't have to consist of "sugar-coating" or suggestions. Even if a design sucks, it deserves a simple, "I'm sorry, but that's not what I am looking for." Hell, if the CH is that lazy, they can just copy and paste that one comment to all the ones they don't like. It only takes a moment and it says a LOT about the contest holder.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back