IT.COM

status-monitor Feature Suggestion: Create a reply in new thread button (on each comment)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
I understand this may be a bit confusing. I think NamePros should create a "reply in new thread" option with replying to each post to prevent off topic conversations from being started.

I've found that an off topic comment might only be a percentage off topic, and that percentage causes a post to be removed. Often times there are comments I want to respond to, but fear, of that time being wasted if the comment ends up being deleted.

For example, I want to reply to the last sentence of the below comment, but since the thread is about Frank Schilling, my comment on how RipoffReport.com operates may be considered off topic to a thread titled, Frank Schilling Experience...

upload_2017-10-10_19-0-27.png

Rather than taking the time to find the proper create new thread category to respond, I think it would be great if NP (@Paul Buonopane) could figure out a way to create this new feature. Because without this feature, I most likely won't reply because it might be off topic, or if I do respond, and possibly find the comment deleted for off topic, I may be upset that I wasted the time, and/or in trouble with mods.

Click reply in new thread > list categories for the member to select > then NP (automatically) moves the quoted reply to beginning of a new thread, primed for publishing, the new (possibly off topic) thread.

Suggestions welcomed on this raw idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing, I wonder if other members would use it.

If you would use this feature, please Like the first post (The post above mine).

•••
  1. Click + Quote instead of Reply
  2. Navigate to forum of choice
  3. Click Create Thread
  4. Scroll to bottom
  5. Click Insert Quotes... button

•••
  1. Click + Quote instead of Reply
  2. Navigate to forum of choice
  3. Click Create Thread
  4. Scroll to bottom
  5. Click Insert Quotes... button

Thanks. I usually click reply, the copy and paste the comment(s) into a new thread. But, while this helps by eliminating an extra step (most useful on a mobile phone) it still doesn't fully address convenience VS off topic conversation.

The current method (content removal and warnings issued) is a great deterrent, but as mentioned above, sometimes it's hard to know if a reply is going to be off topic when they are replying to a comment that was 50% on topic and 50% off topic. If that 50% off topic isn't cut, and replied to in a new thread, the reply may be considered off topic.

Some understand, with the current set up, it's best to refrain from commenting on things that are off topic to the original post, and to create a new thread for that part of the discussion. And as you pointed out, it's a 5 step process to do so. I'm simply suggesting (if the technology allows, and when (if) time is available) that a feature is created on each post to encourage new thread creating for off topic discussion. Off topic conversation can be heated / spur of the moment, and 5 steps may be 2 steps too much which results in a loss for the rest of the community if quality content is removed for being off topic.

Pros: More threads, possibly less off topic conversations thus less content removal.
Cons: Possibly more duplicate threads that would need to be closed / merged / consolidated.

(Just trying to combat off topic conversations, and give members the tools/features to help the learning curve. This may not be the best option. Maybe there are better options...?)

•••
While the system you proposed is less complex and slightly more intuitive, I'm not sure it's intuitive and in-your-face enough to mitigate off-topic posts. Can you think of any way we might be able to draw attention to it when someone is likely to make an off-topic post, or something along those lines?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back