Dynadot

Fake offers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

member-1062451

Impact
I got an offer 2 days ago on a domain name and made a counter offer then the buyer accepted offer . Then he didn't pay anything . I know this is a fake offer because it's a geo domain but the buyer was from a different country and accepted an end-user price. My question is why would he do that even though the domain will never be transferred to him unless he pays the amount , I don't understand the purpose of him doing that

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You don’t have to understand it. Some people just have nothing better to do with their time. If a real buyer and thats a big if, he could have gone with a different name or changed his mind. You will never know unless he comes back.

Put a BIN on anything you can to lessen this kind of thing.

•••
Just move on.
I have 4 offers on Afternic for the same name but they can't never follow up with the buyers.

•••
I've had it happen as well.. Received a $100,000 offer on a hand reg domain, lol. I knew it was fake from the get-go when I saw that, but I accepted it anyways. It sat in Afternic with the "Waiting For Payment" for a while (couple weeks or a month maybe) then it basically just disappeared.

Why people do it I don't know, but I've set BINs on most of my domains now so I don't have to worry about it any longer.

Last edited:
•••
This has happened to me many times, as I’m sure is the case of domain investors who have been doing this for a while. Here’s the most interesting fake offer I have had:

Someone offered $490,000 for my domain MostBT.com at DAN. Since I suspected (or knew) from the start it was a fake offer, just for the sake of having fun with it, I countered with the rounded figure of $500,000. The “buyer” accepted my counteroffer, but of course, never paid.

Not too long after that, I received a $25,000 offer for the same name, from a different person, which I accepted. Again, no payment.

Both offers were made from the country of Bangladesh. Therefore, I considered the possibility that the potential buyers thought the amount was in their currency and not in $US. But I may be mistaken in considering that possibility.

Last edited:
•••
That’s why i’m a fan of the “BIN” on DAN.
It completely prevents this.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back