Dynadot

discuss Fake offers go nuts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Andrew V

Andriy VasylenkoEstablished Member
Impact
Hi Namepros.

Recently I’ve had several fake offers, on one domain in particular. The offers were pretty reasonable though. Once they declined my counteroffer, and another time I accepted, but the guy disappeared.

And today I see this in my inbox… My question is - just why?

Please share your experience with fake offers.

Thanks,
Andriy

Attachments

• BC68E9B1-8E08-4B6F-ABB4-758037F79385.jpeg
    BC68E9B1-8E08-4B6F-ABB4-758037F79385.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 165
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The one on the screenshot must be a joke, or somebody typed random symbols. Generally speaking, there are folks who try to sell something they do not own. You have a good name listed with makeoffer on DAN? They'll try to agree on price. Next step - they'll spam the whole world offering your domain as being for sale (higher price), representing themselves as an owner, or, in better case, broker. Nobody responded to their spam? You'll see the lead died. Somebody responded? You may have a sale. Somebody complained to your registrar or to DAN about domain-for-sale spam they received? You will be guilty then - it is still your domain...

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately it is a usual phenomenon in all landing pages.

Which is the solution?
Let's follow an example. Your domain costs $10,000. The buyer who wants to make a lower offer, let's say $7,000. should pre-pay $50 to be able to make his offer. Then he will have to pay the rest of his offer ($6,950). If the buyer backs off, then the $50 will NOT be refundable. Because when yo accept these fake offers your name is being removed from sale, which is catastrophic. Simple.

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes when I find one name is being targeted, I will set it to a BIN only for a month or so. That way they can only buy it and not play games with offers.

If its just a fake offer one or two times, I will just decline it and move on.

•••
Years ago ebay added an option that the buyer must pay right away or the item stays on ebay.

We should have an option like that too, the domain stays available until the payment clears.

Fake offers happen but they are not that common.

•••
Years ago ebay added an option that the buyer must pay right away or the item stays on ebay.

We should have an option like that too, the domain stays available until the payment clears.

Fake offers happen but they are not that common.
Not sure how true it is but I read that 90% of fake offers are over $105,000 which means take any xxx,xxx or even 1 million USD offer with a grain of salt. Surely, their are mid-xx,xxx fake offers too.

•••
Not sure how true it is but I read that 90% of fake offers are over $105,000 which means take any xxx,xxx or even 1 million USD offer with a grain of salt. Surely, their are mid-xx,xxx fake offers too.
However, if that's a 71 million dollar offers it's for sure fake as only 5 domains have ever sold for over that price.

•••
last fake offer was 200k came via email from someone I suspect right before that didn't like my counteroffer. I didn't reply

Last edited:
•••
I have received two fake offers on the same domain. Several months ago I got a $490,728 offer on Most/BT (in COM) I immediately thought it was a joke, but decided to play along and countered with $500,000, which the other party accepted. Of course, they never paid and DAN had to cancel the transaction.

Some time later, I received another offer for the same name in the amount of $25,000. This time I thought, “who knows… Maybe this one is a good offer”. I accepted without countering. The transaction had to be canceled once again, due to non-payment.

In addition to those fake offers, I have received other lowball offers for the name, which I have rejected.

Last edited:
•••
I received $858,547,638,554 offer before some weeks on Uni. My approach in order to fight these "offers" is to set an inquiry landing page for my names. After each inquiry, I send a reply only once and see if there is interaction. Because setting a make offer page puts you in "What if it's true?" situation and often see your names not listed due to "pending sale". That's the reason I prefer inquiry landing page. A serious potential buyer, he will submit his offer, contact with me and have a fast and secure transaction.

Last edited:
•••
I have received two fake offers on the same domain. Several months ago I got a $490,728 offer on Most/BT (in COM) I immediately thought it was a joke, but decided to play along and countered with $500,000, which the other party accepted. Of course, they never paid and DAN had to cancel the transaction.

Some time later, I received another offer for the same name in the amount of $25,000. This time I thought, “who knows… Maybe this one is a good offer”. I accepted without countering. The transaction had to be canceled once again, due to non-payment.

In addition to those fake offers, I have received other lowball offers for the name, which I have rejected.
if the fake offers came after you rejected the lowballers, it could be those rejects

•••
thats why i fix price for my domains and keep only buy now

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back