Fake Go Daddy "Update" -- Be Careful!

NameSilo
Watch
I received this email from a scammer:

GoDaddy Verification acceptupdates [at] godaddy.com
8:54 AM (5 hours ago)

24/7 Support: 1 480 [Tel deleted -- likely spoofed]
We have been Updated.
CjFeNylSCzcwj_pYzJqVXdu3kWbLIHtdqywcQHmBvlTtgG7PgMFXcHKi9f1TNJ3e_CoB6iwAXc83EDMXoaLfSrHZs2sXgPGWQtZftj5jl4dRpaqDinmCz5RqomHBvm9gs-UERbk=s0-d-e1-ft

Hi there,

We have set up your account for better user Interface and updated some features, To activate the features You just need to accept within the next 48 hours.

By accepting, you agree to the [link deleted -- Account Access Terms of Service] .
ACCEPT Updates [link deleted]
7VFdRF3Qv44s0kdxJpjScXMC1W9yJG01hpQ7URMV0pe1-alAc1ef52bRvtHJ4Au8R0hbiv6Z2hX52HbjoTCyLSQD8956h9pfZbiEKePF6g=s0-d-e1-ft

Thanks,
GoDaddy​

For me, the tip off was the "Hi there" -- Go Daddy usually addresses you by your first name.

Still, I think it's time that we scrutinize all emails from registrars before linking onto to possible dodgy links.

I forwarded this email to my rep, and he says it's totally FAKE!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
When in doubt, check the mail headers. They are usually very telling.

•••
Here's a fake GoDaddy email that I just received. Actually, it's the first one ever and I have a lot of domains with them:

I checked the headers. Email was sent from "lexuss 51 @ theseus DOT timeweb DOT ru" but masked as "[email protected]".

Dear Valued GoDaddy

Your GoDaddy service(s) shown below has been suspended because some of the purchases on your account remain unpaid. For a limited time, however, the services will continue to be registered to you even while disabled .

Account Holder: DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR.

The following nsWebAddress™ are in this account : domain.net

Please make payment immediately upon receipt of this notification, or the nsWebAddress™(es) listed above will be deleted from your account and we may, in accordance with our service agreement, attempt to renew and transfer the nsWebAddress™ listed above to a third party on your behalf. This notice has been sent to both the Primary Contact and Registrant assigned for these services.

To make payment and reinstate your services, please Follow the reference below :
Masked URL going to "davidsaperstein DOT com".

Thanks for your co-operation.
GoDaddy Customer Support.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright (c) 1999-2015 GoDaddy.com, LLC. All rights reserved.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back