Dynadot

Expired / Dropped / Deleted Domains - The Difference?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Clover

Find your luckTop Member
Impact
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone would like to clear some confusion for me.

What exactly is the difference in Expired, Dropped, and Deleted domains?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Bravo Mod Team, didnt u clarify this earlier? What coincidence!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
@Bravo Mod Team, didnt u clarify this earlier? What coincidence!

Samer
I see no thread from that user regarding this topic or anything similar.

Maybe if you added a link to that info then it would have been helpful, since it's so easy to find I don't see why you didn't, instead of being sarcastic.

Thanks for the help Samer lol :xf.laugh::ROFL:

•••
Hello,

Here’s a similar question and answer:

What exactly is the difference in Expired, Dropped, and Deleted domains?
For this question:
  • Dropping: The domain name has passed its expiration/renewal date and may be: available for purchase in an expired auction, in the redemption period, or in the pending deletion status. Also see “expiring” below.
  • Dropped: The domain name was once registered and then available for registration again. It may not still be available if someone else has already registered it. See the notes below for more details.
  • Expired: The same as “dropping” (i.e., the domain name has passed its expiration date) with the added possibility that the domain name may have already “dropped” (i.e., it may be available for registration).
  • Expiring: The domain name’s expiration/renewal date either (1) is approaching or (2) has passed.
    • #2 is typically when “expiring” and “dropping” are considered the same, but they can be (less frequently) considered synonymous in #1, too.
  • Deleted: This is often the same as “dropped”: The domain name has already been deleted (e.g., due to it having expired a while ago) and was/is available for registration again. See the notes below for more details.
Notes:
  • “Deleted” may indicate that someone manually chose to delete the domain name (e.g., before its expiration date), whereas “dropped” typically indicates someone let it expire/drop (e.g., chose not to renew it or forgot to renew it).
  • Many people and companies may use this terminology differently or incorrectly, so the context of their use can help you understand what they mean.
  • Domain names typically do not become available immediately when they expire (i.e., pass their renewal date): Learn more

We hope that helps.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back