NameSilo

question Expired domain. How many days before $80?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So had a bunch of domains expire. There was an issue with the card.:shy::banghead::jawdrop::nailbiting:(n)

So they tell me yea yea it's "recoverable" .....sureeeeeee! @$80 a pop!

They said I only had 18 days "window of opportunity" to renew normally.

I misunderstood thinking I had 45 days.

Why did I think this??! Is 45 days the time for something else?

I think my other domains also expired over at another registration ( same card issue).

That registrar I think if I remember correctly said I had 45 days.

Did this other registrar change their grace period?

I do recall with with this "problem" registrar that they give you 45 days to delete domains you autorenewed for full refund.

Could that have confused me?

The domains are with a GoDaddy reseller.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I'm assuming these time frames are the same with all registrars.

I have a scheduled phone call with the rep later today.

He said he will work out a deal for the domains that expired past the 18 days.

With a "significant" discount.:ROFL::banghead:(y)>:(

Now I wonder how much "discount" from $80 can there be?(n):nailbiting:

I bet it will be $50? I'd be happy with $20 but probably going to be $30-$40.

Any advice ?

Did different registrar's have different redemption periods?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Avtar629 - you don't have to tell GD anything

There is a one issue - did you have privacy on any of the domains before they expired?

You can do a BULK Auth Code request and get every auth code at once rather than futz with them one by one

https://www.godaddy.com/help/get-authorization-code-via-download-19030

Hey! what's up Usernamex! Thanks for the tip. That "phone" call today?

SKIPPED.

I don't LIKE the fact that guy was playing me for a FOOL.

Stuff like this I'm sure the average Person much less a domainer would have fallen for the "kindness".

It's like begging someone to not crap on your face and then they don't out of the kindness of their hearts. but then they "I gotta piss on you instead." and you just sit there and take it because you don't know any better!

I bet that rep would have gotten a bonus for getting me to accept paying $40-$50 on a domain that could have been $80.

Love how they neglect to mention that I can simply transfer out. easy peesy.

Can't really blame them though. I'd probably do the same.

Dog Eat Dog out there. For Reals.

Thanks Namepros!

•••
Check one name in whois and look what is written admin email! Is it your mail or Godaddys?

•••
•••
I have found this on CheapDomain.com. You have 42 days: Call them again and explain they should apply this rules asap and give you the auth codes!
Transferring Expired Domain Names
Print this Article
Last Updated: October 21, 2016 2:42 PM

If your domain name has expired, you can still transfer it to another registrar during the renewal grace period.

If your expired domain has Private Registration enabled, you will not be able to transfer it. Privacy cannot be removed from an expired domain.

You must complete the transfer during its grace period before the domain name falls into "redemption," which is when the domain name begins its transfer back to the registry for someone else to register it. The length of the grace period differs by domain name extension. Most general top-level domain name extensions (gTLDs) like .com and .net have a 42-day grace period between expiration and redemption. Country-code extensions (ccTLDs) like .ca and .jp might have very different grace periods or no grace period at all.

Domains Registered Elsewhere
You should be able to transfer expired domain names to us as well, but you will need to contact your existing registrar to verify. If you can transfer the domain to us, see:

Domains Registered with CheapDomain.com
For domain names within the grace period, you can transfer them to other registrars.

To Transfer Expired Domain Names
  1. Unlock the domain name.
  2. Get the domain name's authorization code, if required.
  3. Initiate and authorize the transfer with your new registrar. Once the transfer is authorized, we notify you of the pending transfer.
  4. Accept or deny the transfer.
Once the transfer is authorized, it automatically completes within 5 days.

•••
Unlock them first and then try to get the codes. If you will not get them call again - they should help you!

•••
Lol @Avtar629 you didnt unlock and expected to get authorization code, WTF. :xf.grin:

•••
PM me a list of the domains - maybe something interesting for me!?

•••
in some time , i need request 2 or 3 time for receive auth code from godaddy , i think that the system not like it .

In your case , your unique solution is transfer out the domains .

I transfer many domains out in this 40 days after expired data , now dynadot have copy godaddy and apply a $10 fee after +/- 20 days .

Need transfer out at other registrar for not pay any redemption fee at your registrar. ( I think , this fee , many endusers with 1-2 domains can pay it when not remember to renew the domains in the first days after expired data )

Dynadot charge you an extra $10 after 30 days. And you can still renew/transfer the domain up to 40 days (when it's taken out of your account).

•••
yea. someone emailed me already saying that I had incorrect transfer codes. I'm all set Stub!

It doesn't sound like your all set if you have incorrect Auth Codes :( Who emailed you?

•••
Agreed but like I said this was one of those "things" where I don't know really what it was. my card was cleared for charges to be covered. but this time it didn't.
and admittedly I don't check emails so often in summer. lol

so yea.

it's my fault for not checking. but it wasn't "indecision" just a CC glitch. not on my end but there's as they charged successfully all the domains that expired AFTER this first expired batch. doesn't make sense why their system would "skip" over the first batch of expired domains especially when the second batch was charged and paid for successfully.

all I'm saying. it's ok now though. ALL set Transfer is on the way.

there were about 10 domains where I missed a letter or number or symbol in the auth codes. (missed highlighting it)

but all set now. CheapDomain has emailed me about the transfer. nothing left to do.

HAPPY! lol

thanks for your input Rev!

Happy to read things have worked out. Best of luck with your names.

Cheers!

•••
do u guys know if I can pay redemptoin fee at gd and get back domain expired 60 days ago? if so, til when is the max? day 70?

whois still shows my name there. cheers.

Last edited:
•••
42-45 days are max for you to renew. 60 days no chance. after 75 days its deleted.

tnx
well its already been discussed by others that there is a redemption period from day ~42-72.. at least for .com. but good for near all extensions.. and most/all registrars.. its like an icann rule..

I was also able to verify it directly iwth godady and uniregistry today.

so this should apply to most domains and most registrars.. if not all.

from the info I collected.

thanks!

•••
Go to expired domains (assumed cp is like godaddy's)
check the names you want
press unlock
check those again
and press send auth codes

•••
Call Godaddy customer service, ask them to waive the redemption fee, they will waive it for you only one time and you will pay only the renewal fee.

•••
Call Godaddy customer service, ask them to waive the redemption fee, they will waive it for you only one time and you will pay only the renewal fee.

let me tell you. those Godaddy people? I swear they are either Bi-polar or just clueless as to what is possible and not possible in their own company. that "advice" of yours ? I'm sure worked for you? but it's like 50-50 with them depending on who you get on the phone. I mean don't get me wrong I'll try but I'm not confident it will work. Thanks though. all they do is doom and gloom and all "wrath of God" type fear mongering. really ridiculous! lol

•••
oh FORGOT to mention?! I was talking to the rep on chat, she wanted to know why I'm transferring? I said found cheaper price for transfer for $6.22.

she put me on hold for a bit and said I would be emailed via the ticket system and see if they can accommodate me on the price since I had so many with them.

We SHALL SEE!

anyone know what the transfer to Dotster and sister sites costs?

Time is money, remember. Best to choose a registrar you won't need to transfer away from again next year. Otherwise, you're back on the phone again negotiating a $2 savings ... instead of, well, anything better.

•••
says expired - recoverable

I don't know bro. I swear it wasn't 18 days last time it was longer. or am I just totally mistaken. (could be possible too busy these days.)

here's thing though.

I had domains since July 10 it expired the card didn't go thru.

but then I had domains that Expired later like July 26? and those renewed but somehow this batch didn't?

do I have grounds to argue it's their systems fault?

could I maybe wessel out of paying the $80 or whatever "significantly" discounted fee this rep was implying?

funny how they never come out and just say EXACTLY how much they will charge me instead of the $80

like keeping me in suspense just worries me.

anyone with experience Registrars negotiating down the $80 redemption price?

any tips?

•••
Standart lifecycle for gtld:
gtld-lifecycle.jpg

The Auto-renew grace period lasts 45 days. During these 45 days the registrar must to delete the domain, after that it gets refund from the registry for auto-renew. But WHEN specifically the domain will be deleted - it depends on the specific registrar. Each registrar MUST (according to the ICANN rules) place on the website info about it deletion policy. Most registrars give 30-44 days for renewal at standard price. But Godaddy gives only 18 days.

Godaddy deletion policy - https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

but see. I'm dealing with CheapDomain aka WildWestDomains. They are Resellers. but thing is. the emails I'm getting has the Godaddy logo.

would it be better maybe ask for an actual cheapdomain rep?

•••
Standart lifecycle for gtld:
gtld-lifecycle.jpg

The Auto-renew grace period lasts 45 days. During these 45 days the registrar must to delete the domain, after that it gets refund from the registry for auto-renew. But WHEN specifically the domain will be deleted - it depends on the specific registrar. Each registrar MUST (according to the ICANN rules) place on the website info about it deletion policy. Most registrars give 30-44 days for renewal at standard price. But Godaddy gives only 18 days.

Godaddy deletion policy - https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

Jesus! just checkin out that link.

I'm screwed! forget it. This significant discount bs is just that.

I'm not expecting anything spectacular at this point.

preparing myself for the worst at this point. phone call in 1 hour.

I'll keep yall updated.

•••
Which registrar specified in whois in "Registrar: " section? Or give us your domain.

•••
I just googled this

http://www.cheapdomain.com/renew_domain.htm

and the whois shows

Wild West Domains, LLC

see the link above doesn't CLEARLY state. at least for CheapDomain the whole deal as to exactly how many days I've got.

just says it's "up to the registrar"

that's pretty vague. but I just skimmed thru it. so might have missed something.

but seriously I do recall having an expired domain and I went into my dashboard and what surprised me was that this one domain had expired close to that 45 day grace period. so I figured lucky me but also that that was "Standard"?

any way to weasel or argue this?

30 mins left.

•••
Transfer to other registrar like namesilo

•••
•••
If you want you can send me the list of the domains. If you can get auth codes we will save them!:xf.cool:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back