Domain Empire

question Expired domain. How many days before $80?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So had a bunch of domains expire. There was an issue with the card.:shy::banghead::jawdrop::nailbiting:(n)

So they tell me yea yea it's "recoverable" .....sureeeeeee! @$80 a pop!

They said I only had 18 days "window of opportunity" to renew normally.

I misunderstood thinking I had 45 days.

Why did I think this??! Is 45 days the time for something else?

I think my other domains also expired over at another registration ( same card issue).

That registrar I think if I remember correctly said I had 45 days.

Did this other registrar change their grace period?

I do recall with with this "problem" registrar that they give you 45 days to delete domains you autorenewed for full refund.

Could that have confused me?

The domains are with a GoDaddy reseller.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I'm assuming these time frames are the same with all registrars.

I have a scheduled phone call with the rep later today.

He said he will work out a deal for the domains that expired past the 18 days.

With a "significant" discount.:ROFL::banghead:(y)>:(

Now I wonder how much "discount" from $80 can there be?(n):nailbiting:

I bet it will be $50? I'd be happy with $20 but probably going to be $30-$40.

Any advice ?

Did different registrar's have different redemption periods?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm just looking at this now ,just scanned thru , don't forget to unlock domain b4 you push auth code , also with godaddy you have to send the auth code 2 times in a row, they make you jump through hoops,,Namesilo is great ,,also after you push through go to godaddy and accept the domains and they will be in your account right away . I can push a domain out of godaddy and into namesilo in less than 20 min soup to nuts

I must add if the name is under the old owner admin ,your ----ed unless the guy is a domainer and willing to help you out,or else your gonna pay 80 smackers

Last edited:
•••
thanks for the info Stub.
I was kinda told by suport it could be hard past day 45.
not sure if its GD specific.. that makes it hard...
cause I've already brought back to life a domain from day 60 past expiry.. at domain.com..... $100 fee.

where they clearly told me its comon practice there and perfectly fine to get it back with the fee, up to the delete window which I think is 70-75.. then it goes back to public reg.

•••
do u guys know if I can pay redemptoin fee at gd and get back domain expired 60 days ago? if so, til when is the max? day 70?

whois still shows my name there. cheers.

Is the domain still in your expired domain list in your control panel?

I think most Registrars lose money on any domain renewed in the Registry Redemption Period. It's probably a manual process to get it renewed at the Registry. Hence they keep this feature quiet rather than singing it from the rooftops.

Last edited:
•••
Is the domain still in your expired domain list in your control panel?

nope........ not there........

I don't look into expired domains section.. but I think they more or less leave that place around day 45 or so..

I'm talking about .com of course.

•••
@alcy - yes you can, by ICANN rules, you are in the mandatory 30 day RGP Redemption Grace Period. Do you actually want to pursue it, or are you just asking so you know for future reference?

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

My best research shows is it is still only $80, and they really have to pay the registry a fee so likely there won't be any flexibility on the fee
https://ca.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa
Section 3B
If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

It's not quite manual, but some hoops are involved, see page 16-19 of the PDF transcript here:
http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

@Avtar629 - do you mind this related detour? If so we can start a new thread.

appreciate the info
so according to this, assuming domain not bought on expired or closeout etc, and beloging to no one past that 45 day period, I should be able to get something done to get it back. and this should essentially not vary from registry to registry. I'll look closer into it.

as matter of fact since I posted my question on this about GD, another potential need to do same may have arised from uniregistry.. this time for a .co domain expired 55 days ago.. howeverm when I go to my uniregistry archived domains section, it shows that domain as "taken"... but whois still shows my info. I guess these timelines and are rules are quite different for .co... I think they get releasd back to public much quicker or something.. but then.. why still my info.. if its showing taken? hmmmmm.. weird. that one expired june11.

•••
@alcy - yes you can, by ICANN rules, you are in the mandatory 30 day RGP Redemption Grace Period. Do you actually want to pursue it, or are you just asking so you know for future reference?

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

My best research shows is it is still only $80, and they really have to pay the registry a fee so likely there won't be any flexibility on the fee
https://ca.godaddy.com/agreements/ShowDoc.aspx?pageid=reg_sa
Section 3B
If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay GoDaddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name. The redemption fee is currently $80.00 USD and is subject to change under the terms of this Agreement. If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the Registry's Redemption Grace Period the Registry will release your name and it will become available for registration on a first-come-first-served basis.

It's not quite manual, but some hoops are involved, see page 16-19 of the PDF transcript here:
http://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/

@Avtar629 - do you mind this related detour? If so we can start a new thread.

Naah cmon @usernamex! I'm not that uptight. Keep it going. All is welcome! Lol

•••
By the way? Lol the GoDaddy rep still emailing me. Telling me he is "in the office " to handle my problem.

Does he not know yet that I've started the transfer process?lol

Here I am laughing . Better quit it. Might jinx it. Lol

Still can't believe he offered to go back to the office in the middle of the night to "help" me.

Figured he got a "live one" on the line scared sh*tless about losing my domains.

I think in situations like this maybe they get commission ?

That really was odd.

Last edited:
•••
@Avtar629 - it's been answered, you are adding to your own confusion by calling and asking different GD reps over and over

This applies to GoDaddy ONLY - other registrars have their own timelines

Day 1 until Day 18 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost WITHOUT any extra fee from GoDaddy
Day 19 until Day 42 after expiration - You can renew at regular renewal cost PLUS the GoDaddy Redemption Fee of $80
Day 43 - if the domain has been purchased in GD Auctions, you will lose your domain
Day 43 - if the domain has NOT been purchased in GD Auctions, you *MIGHT* still be able to recover your domain up to Day 44 until GD returns the domain to the Registry. Once the WhoIs status shows Status: redemptionPeriod it is too late.

During Day 1 - Day 44ish you CAN transfer your domains away from GoDaddy to another registrar for regular transfer cost, as long as you did NOT have Privacy enabled before the domain expired. Transfer requires you UNLOCK the domain and request Auth Code, which are better and easier done using the BULK requests

Day 45 - Day 75 - the domain is held by the Registry and will show Status: redemptionPeriod in WhoIs for 30 days. At this point the ONLY way to recover your domain is through GoDaddy and you will pay the Redemption Fee of $80.

Day 76 - Day 80 - Once the WhoIs domain status changes to Status: pendingDelete, you can no longer recover your domain name and retain the original registration date. It may be possible to catch your domain name and re-register it again as a new registration when it drops.

Day 81 - The domain is dropped and can be freely registered by anyone

The timeline for GoDaddy is in their Help section
https://ca.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

Here is a picture of the Help section timeline

np-gd-expiration-timeline.png

Really great analysis, just the remark that between 18th and 40th day can transfer the domain away with the regular fee

•••
buy what's the Vig? or renewal fee? it always boil down to price.

also. update.

I'm finding myself in "the same situation" now with Name.com registered domains.

anyone know when the "cut off point" is before tha $80 redemption fee is for Name.com registered domains?

Any help is much appreciated thanks.
The last time I spoke with Name.com support, they told me that they can do anything they want with domains after the 25th day past expiration.

•••
Are the names in expiry, or in redemption. If they are in expiry, you may be able to transfer them without any penalty.

•••
If you want to try a transfer to me at Name Silo, I'll push the name into an account for you if it does transfer.

•••
I recently came to now about others who transfer their domains on 40th day after expiring from godaddy ( in redemption period) without any penalty and after knowing from them i was able to do same.

•••
no confuse here - get auth code and transfer away!

•••
are you SURE?
I mean I can transfer them over to my Name.com account right now if this is true.

or

I could "soft" threat them that this is what I want to do.

perhaps that will "let this go" I mean I am a good customer with them.

FUNNY how this REP neglected to "MENTION" this "OPTION"

The Bastards!

Can some more people CONFIRM this option? before I proceed?

20 mins left

Dont try to threat they may discount some dollars but redemption fees will be there and they may suggest you wrongly that you cant transfer. so its time waste, imo get the authorization code and start with the transfer.

•••
you guys all keep mention Namesilo.

Is there something specific about Namesilo?

is Namesilo the only registrar I can do this "trick" with? what about Name.com?

I mean I do have a Namesilo account. gotta find my account info. easy enough.

I'd like to see a show of hands how many have done this. to give me some confidence. thanks.

I am mentioning Namesilo because my experience has been great there, i havent used Name.com just one domain there, but am sure with Name.com or any other decent registrar it should work, you shall be able to do same with name.com. what is the confusion here for you?

•••
lol slick! You mean actually GIVE you my domain? lol nice try!

(I would have done the same! lol)

but thanks!
You don't get it. We will try with one and you will get the domain and save big dollars!

•••
wtf?? do you know I couldn't sleep last night?? lol because of this bull?

I can't believe this! I mean I SHOULD know this already.

And this rep acting like he was doing me some BIG FAVOR by giving me a great deal.

so if I tell them I want to transfer this domain. I'm sure he will say I can't.

what do I say then? is there some ICANN link I can show him that this is possible? any documentation anywhere?

IMO first you should start and complete the transfer, the above matter can be settled afterwards when you would be able to show them clearly with live example.

•••
Now Godaddy changing admin email after 15 days. So we could not transfer out like olden days on 40 th day.

But i have done the same just 2 days before. and in last two weeks i transferred 4 domains out of GD on or near 40th day.

•••
IMO first you should start and complete the transfer, the above matter can be settled afterwards when you would be able to show them clearly with live example.

got it. will do. I'll hold off on speaking with them.

NO WONDER!!!!

FYI.

this REP emailed me AFTER he already left his office! and then TOLD ME that if I wanted and was worried he would GO BACK TO THE OFFICE to do this negotiation for the $80 price.

I thought that was "SWEET" and "KIND" like that's a bit extreme niceness. he would go back to the office after hours of leaving the office? travel back on his GAS money to deal with me in the middle of the night?

lol NO WONDER! I bet he would get a bonus for getting me to pay the $80 or discounted price.

If this works. I owe you guys BIG TIME.

I am surprised non of the seasoned Pros of NP hasn't chimed in here to confirm. guess they're busy.

•••
@Avtar629 please check your domain whois and status before transferring.

•••
will do. so what's the "cut off" time period I can do this? 40 days? 42 days? from the date of expiration of the domain?

42 and to avoid any unexpected risk at maximum i do it between 35-40 days, but recently i was able to complete one transfer from 40th-41st day.

Last edited:
•••
thanks. by why? the OLDEST problem domain expired July 10th.

so what's up? is that bad or good?

Its great, should be easy and smooth transfer, just go for it man and see for yourself.

•••
Didn't read the whole thread so others may have answered but gdddy can and has eliminated the fees for me in the past...I threatened to transfer a couple hundred names away is what clinched the deal.

The second time it happened they cut the fees by about 2/3...better than nothing.

The last time it happened they would not deal...that is when epik became my new best friend! I still have a few dozen with gddy, but will shave that down to one just to keep account open. (these events were over a 15 year period).

A gddy reseller may not have the full flexibility gddy direct may have...at any rate you should find another registrar and move away from them...for example, when names are x days after expire date epik will only make you renew them for a two year period instead of one without any added fees.

Last edited:
•••
Ok Update.

I totally missed the tab for Email Authorization up above the expired domain list.

WOW! ok ...Select All. and SEND. Done.

Now. Name.com? or NameSilo.com?

Learn something new everyday here on NamePros!

Always been a good boy about paying up on time. just this one time a little SNAFU.(Situation Normal All Fouled UP!)

So I guess I'm transferring domains over to Name.com

but I might check out Namesilo. at $8.32?

a save about 67 cents. not bad.

Any other reputable spots do cheap bulk transfers?

THANKS in advance GUYS!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back