IT.COM

Exclusive drops?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
which registrars do exclusive drops and what implications does that have wrt backordering domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't go into which registers,Perhaps someone else will.But it plays a huge impact on backordering DNs.The reason being is that better technology is used by some that others don't have,I can't go into the technology either.But it factors in very relevent from one service to the other as to which service has the technology to get the expire before the other,Therefore those without the technology are at a huge disadvantage.But yes some registers do exclusive drops and do cater to certain companies and sites.

•••
Netsol and Tucows started this trend. Godaddy just got on it. I think enom as well, but not entirely sure.

•••
armstrong said:
Netsol and Tucows started this trend. Godaddy just got on it. I think enom as well, but not entirely sure.

Yes enom is in.But they have further technology to work with other small registers to obtain thier databases.So that's what i mean about having an edge over the competetors,Pool aswell.My lipps are sealed.LOL

•••
I see the following effects of exclusive drops:
- registrar connections will become less valuable; many ICANN-accredited registrars (who probably depend in large part on revenue from these) will go bankrupt
- lower auction closing prices; its difficult to monitor several auction venues, rather than just the 3 or 4 drop gorillas we were used to, so on average there will be less end-users and/or big-budget domainers watching the drops
- large domain registration resellers getting in on the action by changing their TOS to allow repossession of expired domains
- eventually, even small domain registration resellers will try the same, and the situation will become so complex and intolerable that ICANN will get its head out of its *ss and start doing its job by disallowing exclusive drops

Just my 2c.

•••
armstrong said:
I see the following effects of exclusive drops:
- registrar connections will become less valuable; many ICANN-accredited registrars (who probably depend in large part on revenue from these) will go bankrupt
- lower auction closing prices; its difficult to monitor several auction venues, rather than just the 3 or 4 drop gorillas we were used to, so on average there will be less end-users and/or big-budget domainers watching the drops
- large domain registration resellers getting in on the action by changing their TOS to allow repossession of expired domains
- eventually, even small domain registration resellers will try the same, and the situation will become so complex and intolerable that ICANN will get its head out of its *ss and start doing its job by disallowing exclusive drops

Just my 2c.

I agree 100% armstrong ICANN needs to address this issue and as soon as possible to not leave the DN industry in a frenzy,Aswell as making these kind of services very unappealing for buyers.I hope they handle thier business for the better of the industry.

•••
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

I am quite confused with this exclusive drop thing. So does this mean that any even moderately valuable domain is never going to drop, and the registrar is simply going to repossess the domain and put it up for auction. I wonder if this is legal, why all registrars dont do this and make a lot of money.

Yes enom is in.But they have further technology to work with other small registers to obtain thier databases
Does that mean that these registrars are also exclusively dropping names, which eventually get to enom?

What about the domains that were registered before the registrars had an exclusive drop clause in their tos, or such a clause isnt needed and any domain with these registrar will drop exclusively.

•••
The good part is that valuable DNs will still drop,The bad part is,It could be a very growing trend for the small guys to sell out there database to the big guys,The technology i know about cosists of programing which at this time only a few have.This technology gives those few the ability to run the gamit as far as snaging a name so they charge a minimum of 60 bucks for it or whatever.It's a money exchanging hands thing and will backfire either way because the average DN buyer won't play into thier hands,It just way to unappealing to the average DN buyer IMO

•••
The entire practice of repossesing expiring domains is nothing new, it's just becoming more transparent. One of the best known resellers of domains did this to me a couple of years ago with 2 premium domains. I hadn't gotten email renewal notices for some reason (I had transferred them to this reseller from netsol) and went to renew the day after expiration. They were no longer in my account. Page not found for the domain. Then next thing you know, they are being directed to this reseller's 'for sale' page. I had a lot going on in my life at the time - selling a business and a very sick father (who lives with me) so I didn't have the energy/time to take on a fight over 2 domains. By the time things had settled down for me a bit, one of the two domains had already been sold to someone else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back