IT.COM

status-done Excessive Bumping Of Threads - Spam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Bumping of threads. I understand Sales threads but discussion threads?

35 bumps now with nothing but the word "bump"
https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...t-1-and-not-renew.1067806/page-3#post-6665885

Not a sales thread, but a discussion thread. The other day I hit new posts and saw a bunch of threads bumped with nothing but the word "bump". Again, not sales threads, discussion threads.

You have multiple people complaining about it.

So Namepros is ok with people junking up the forum?

This guy - https://www.namepros.com/members/daniel-owens.965502/

Just goes and bumps all his threads with the word bump, continually. If there is interest in a thread, it will naturally be bumped up.

Thread after thread

https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...type-domain-wrong-it-is-a-bad-domain.1074963/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...or-free-or-even-just-1-and-not-renew.1067806/

Last 12 posts in this thread are his with the word "bump"
https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-age-why-do-so-many-domainers-lie-about-it.1066211/page-3

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes I agree it's like spam and it's annoying. I unsubscribe to all those types of threads because I'm sick of the constant alerts.

•••
8.174 posts and probably between 7000 and 7500 of them is a very annoying BUMP

Last edited:
•••
I noticed that too a month or so ago also. Glad you said something.

•••
•••
Bump "Less then a minute no feedback"

•••
Report all Daniel Owens’ Bump posts and indicate that there are THOUSANDS of them. I had no idea there were thousands until now. That’s excessive and practically fits the definition of spam.

Last edited:
•••
•••
here here

if your domain doesn't sell after 30 days of bumps, don't keep bumping it for months.

•••
Daniel Owens is bumping purely conversational threads not sales.

Last edited:
•••
Bumping of threads. I understand Sales threads but discussion threads? 35 bumps now with nothing but the word "bump" ...So Namepros is ok with people junking up the forum?

stuff like that make a forum far less desirable to visit and certainly look exceedingly unprofessional. in fact, imo there should even be a limit on sale thread bumps too which seem excessive and can go on forever. After numerous bumps its should be obvious to seller the domain is not good. At a minimum to keep it going seller could occasionally post something new about domain or the sale.

Last edited:
•••
I haven't seen a guy do this many bumps since Scarface!

Screenshot-2018-4-12 Daniel Owens.png

Last edited:
•••
I started noticing this, and I guess and this is just my opinion, it's like come on, people discuss this. I think someone should post that then, not bump, that's lazy.

I mean say, "I think this is important why so few replies, etc...?

•••
I did post a polite query last week as to “Why bump a thread like this - just curious" but I guess Daniel Owens reported it and today my comment was deleted as off topic.

wN68hqw.jpg

Seems to me that the THOUSANDS of
Bump! s
are what are off topic and need to be cleaned up.

Xenforo has a PURGE function, and it's time to delete 99% of Daniel Owens' posts - all the BUMPS!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Was trying to reason with him via direct messages, he asked me what I want from him, I said "Stop bumping" and he responded that he is more determined than ever to bump even more. :stinkyfeet: There might also be a communication issue?

c5UQ5VLl.jpg

RENsvwDl.jpg

Last edited:
•••

Nope, nothing in the Business Account that says it's ok to spam the forum. I think you're just confused between Sales threads (where there is a liberal bumping policy) and the threads I'm talking about, discussion threads.

Report all Daniel Owens’ Bump posts and indicate that there are THOUSANDS of them. I had no idea there were thousands until now. That’s excessive and practically fits the definition of spam.

Yep - https://www.namepros.com/search/27175599/?q=bump&o=date&c[user][0]=965502

I did post a polite query last week as to “Why bump a thread like this - just curious" but I guess Daniel Owens reported it and today my comment was deleted as off topic.

I reported it myself, they did nothing. Reminds of some other threads where members point out spam/scams and their posts get deleted, not the spammers/scammers.

If there is real interest in a discussion thread, somebody will reply with a real reply. Not

bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump

That's how many bumps in just that one thread I linked to.

•••
Glad somebody else noticed it. It’s ridiculous and just looks like someone seeking attention.

•••
One way around that issue

Find a post he hates or is embarrassing and everyone keep bumping it until he decides it's too much and gives up.

We've all had a head slap moment we'd like to forget. :facepalm:

•••
Was trying to reason with him via direct messages, he asked me what I want from him, I said "Stop bumping" and he responded that he is more determined than ever to bump even more. :stinkyfeet: There might also be a communication issue?

c5UQ5VLl.jpg

RENsvwDl.jpg

Conversation continued as below

uzjGu14l.jpg

...either he's being a wise guy, and copy/pasting nonsequitors, or there is a communication issue, and still - he's copy/pasting non-sequitors.

"Do you need a task?" - this, in response to my request that he Stop Bumping!

•••
Conversation continued as below

...either he's being a wise guy, and copy/pasting nonsequitors, or there is a communication issue, and still - he's copy/pasting non-sequitors.

"Do you need a task?" - this, in response to my request that he Stop Bumping!

He likes to make up stats and post them in chat repeatedly. Things like "Did you know that 25.1% of domainers make $1 million or more per year?" I've nicknamed him Daniel Trollens.

:xf.laugh:

•••
He likes to make up stats and post them in chat repeatedly. Things like "Did you know that 25.1% of domainers make $1 million or more per year?" I've nicknamed him Daniel Trollens.

:xf.laugh:

(y)

did-you-know-before-isaac-newton-discovered-gravity-in-1687-5813854.png

•••
But seriously, someone asks you to Stop Bumping, and he asks, inanely, "Do you need a task?" and then responds with that long non-sequitor? Is he being a wise guy?

•••
No joy in Mudville.

oxNCvdGl.jpg

Perhaps just put Daniel Owens on ignore. This is what I just did.

Last edited:
•••
Notice the alert states "not a rule violation AT THIS TIME"

Everyone may get a better result if you all would propose what you would LIKE the rule to be regarding this matter and petition for the rules to be changed. Be specific - no more than X consecutive posts by same member, single word bumps not allowed, etc

Here are the current rules:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/li...sts-conversations-etc.1047417/#section-030400
Post limitations
Limits on multiple posts by the same account ("bumps")
There are sections on NamePros in which we do not allow multiple (e.g., consecutive) posts by the same member in the same thread ("bumping") within a specific period of time. This practice is known as "bumping" because it is used to move ("bump") a thread to the top of a section's list of threads, increasing its visibility, which happens in most sections when a reply is posted in a thread.

As a result, members must wait the specified-below amount of time in-between bumps. For instance, if the bump limit is 12 hours, then at least 12 hours must pass from your previous post in a particular thread before you will be able to bump that same thread again.

Sections that limit the frequency of bumps

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back