Domain Empire

.me Exact Keyword in .ME vs Longer .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey,

I'm thinking of starting up a forum, and maybe a site to go with it. I myself don't mind the .ME extension, as I think it is short and distinct. But I also know the value of a .com.

Anyway, which would be better.
KEYWORD.ME or KEYWORDandotherword(s).com?

The keyword is already taken in others, .net/org/info/tv/cc/co.

Been searching, and trying to figure out which would be better. I would appreciate your comments/opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

EDIT: Was thinking more about it, and wanted to add some comments. I would think that with either KEYWORD.ME or KEYWORDandotherword(s).com I wouldn't really get many if any type-in traffic. It would depend from search results, links from other sites, people telling others of the site. I know a problem with forums can be members registering, maybe posting a couple times, then never coming back. And I wonder what would be more memorable for them. If a week later they wanted to go back, would they more likely remember KEYWORD.ME or KEYWORDandotherword(s).com?

For example I was thinking like, if I had a forum for people that rode horses. Which would be better horses.me/horse.me or horsefansite.com? Which would someone more likely remember the name of after being there a bit?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would personally go for the .ME, but I'm somewhat of a fan of ccTLDs. As for the horse forum, personally it may be harder for them to remember the .ME extension. Not everyone is aware of ccTLDs and their existence. Sure, .ME sounds familiar to us but to a bunch of equestrians, maybe not. I know you are using that as an example, but I would have to say that if it targeted users who were not very ccTLD savvy then that part of the argument would lead to going after the .com.

However, at the same time people can remember .ME a little better. It's not a really hard to remember ccTLD and people wouldn't forget it toooo much.

Personally though, I would choose the .ME. That's just .ME though :). I'm sure other people could comment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back