Watch

kaffekoppen

Established Member
Impact
Lets say both where undeveloped:

NiceCar.com vs Nice.car

1. Who wins, and by how much?
2. Will it always stay the same?
3.Who wins the seo-battle for those two keywords? Will they be able to stand toe-to-toe.

(I know the .com will win today. But the question is for how long, and by how much)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You all have good points. This is a complex question. Only time will tell i guess!

What about for example CheapCar.com vs Car.cheap (The reverse order)?

•••
You all have good points. This is a complex question. Only time will tell i guess!

What about for example CheapCar.com vs Car.cheap (The reverse order)?
Lol. Reverse order domains almost always suck, doesn't matter the extension.

As for the OP question...I would definitely rather have the .COM

•••
Nicecar.com is the winner. .com is even more important if you are planing t sell the site. Most buyers only buy .com

•••
•••
NameCheap.com, NameBright.com suck?
No, namebright is a great registrar.

Back to the topic... I would absolutely want BOTH the keyword+gTLD and the .COM if I were choosing to create a site. If buiding a website, it would be developed on the .COM. If I was forced to make a choice to develop on one or the other, of course, I would build my site on the .COM.

Last edited:
•••
Great question, not the first time asked here !

I have noticed the more experienced domainers will choose NiceCar.com for lots of valid reasons including renewal fees, potential to resell and the fact that it's more likely to receive type-in traffic sometimes at the expense of Nice.car losing the same traffic.

Personally I would try NiceCar.com for all the same reasons, only time will tell if Nice.car comes out top but it will be an expensive ride to find out !

•••
If you are a teenage car enthusiast who just wants a domain for a blog either will do - but how much is a teenager going to pay for a domain name? Seriously, if we are talking about branding a high-profile car website - they both suck. Sportscars.com or LuxuryCars.com are great. Cars.net or Sportscars.TV are still pretty cool. Who buys a "nice car" or shows off to their colleagues their "nice car?"

FYI I sold CarroYa.com several years ago. You can see what they did with it.

•••
nice.car is obviously shorter and more efficient. nicecar.com is "normal".

the 3 letters "com" after the dot don't really add anything to the value, other than it is what is familiar to most people. Things never stay the same forever though.

•••
Definitely NiceCar.com. From my experience, most people (like non tech-savvy people) don't really know any other tlds besides .com or .org. Most people will assume that any website for a business is a .com, so you don't want to miss out on traffic. So from a business perspective, definitely the former.

•••
On a side note, NiceCar.com was subject to one of the most absurd UDRP decisions ever.
The panelist Sandra J. Franklin is notorious for terrible decisions.

http://www.udrpsearch.com/naf/1485765

She even made the typo "TRNASFERRED" in the decision. A typo she made in 8 other copy and paste decisions.

Brad

•••
In my opinion

For seo - the keyword value should be similar for both in future, just like it is now for say example.com / example.net / example.biz , google does not much distinguish between the extensions , it is the general public which does and places more value on .com's

.com definitely has an edge now...

In the future when someone says visit our website on nice car which defaults to meaning nice.car , then understand that nice.car has now become the equivalent of nicecar.com

Perhaps when this time comes, the .com on nicecar.com would be stressed upon to distinguish it from nice.car

•••
NiceCar.com is better IMO.
  1. gTLDS are great for hacks and established keywords/phrases..but "nice car" is not established. Established means the name is widely accepted to be used in a certain way. Example of established keywords would be: Car.Shop, Race.Car, book.store, book.shop, New.Car, Used.cars etc...Nice car, is used alot but it is too general ..like to express your taste in something, but liking a car could be expressed in many other ways.
  2. NiceCar.com will be best for you. It's more seo friendly.. If nice car is searched alot then you could be on the first page of google.
  3. I don't think every name and gtld are created equal. I think some gtld hacks will be just as excellent for branding as it's equivalent .com. I own dapper.club, it's a fashion related name. I think it can is easily be as brandable as dapperclub.com. But may at this moment cost quite less. But If I had the resource to market it; I have no doubt it could shine equally. I invest in .com's mostly but I think some gtlds(hacks only) will have strong demand.
  4. I would say most gtld hacks are less than 1/10 the worth of the .com right now. But some hacks are just extremely brandable and can be valued higher than 1/10th.
  5. Will it change? I think .com will always be the safe and most solid choice. But this world is rapidly changing; anything is possible especially if you have vision. I find myself building a site on a gtld that no one respects.. it's a risk but I believe it's highly catchy and brandable and you can't put that in a box even when all the odds are against it. I never thought I would ever do that, but I like taking risk. i will be using it to subtly educate the general population(non domainers) about new gtlds.. If it catches on then that will tell me alot. I think people just don't know about gtlds. All it takes is something to go viral or the right person to use it. Suddenly it becomes cool to use gtlds.. People love the individualistic feel.
Though (.com) reigns handily right now and I wouldn't invest heavily in anything else..I think we should think twice before saying it will always stay the same. Imagine every celebrity starting to get personalized web addresses, imagine the youth joining on and startups more and more etc..?

The real challenge to .com is Individualism... The real challenger is the social world.

But it's naive at the moment to say a gtld can challenge. It's more of a possibility that it can happen but not proven until it actually happens. Branding can sometimes super-cede an extension. But This is not for the faint of heart. So stick to .com right now.

•••
gTLDS are great for hacks and established keywords/phrases..but "nice car" is not established. Established means the name is widely accepted to be used in a certain way. Example of established keywords would be: Car.Shop, Race.Car, book.store, book.shop, New.Car, Used.cars etc...Nice car, is used alot but it is too general ..like to express your taste in something, but liking a car could be expressed in many other ways.
I thought OP was just using "nice car" as an example for keyword.keyword vs keywordkeyword.com? When you're looking at words like "racecar" or "bookshop", those are actually 1 word keywords. "New car" and "used car" fall in the same line as "nice car", IMO, and just as expressive and powerful.

•••
.com IS KING AND IS STILL THE PREFERRED EXTENSION

•••
Wouldnt be better example like best.car and bestcar.com? We in EU have the term nice for nice, but in US it has negative meaning now. If somebody says "she is nice" that more sounds like she is somehow "handicapped" wants to be loved, so sort of handicapped troll. Dont know actually, but it could be that meaning holds true just for major cities in between the US.

•••
Has someone already brought the popcorn? :-D

•••
It looks like Apple chose a .car domain instead of ****car.com
Show attachment 40441

Apple.car was registered in 2015; AppleCar.com was already taken in 2004. How could Apple dream of Apple Car when they didn't even have iPhone then.

•••
Lets say both where undeveloped:

NiceCar.com vs Nice.car

1. Who wins, and by how much?
2. Will it always stay the same?
3.Who wins the seo-battle for those two keywords? Will they be able to stand toe-to-toe.

(I know the .com will win today. But the question is for how long, and by how much)

IMO,
NiceCar.com wins today. But Nice.Car will win in 2026.

•••
At the moment
I think it wouldn't make sense in the future too. Why?
1. Past data shows extension has nothing to do with SEO. Did .net, .org, .co etc. ever get priority? It's after all content that defies everything else in SEO.

2. It won't be fair. There will be thousands and more of extensions soon. How can google prioritize one extension over all others, just because of the extension name, although both have same quality content?

The day 'extension' takes over 'content' in SEO, the meaning of value will be corrupted.

Last edited:
•••
nicecar.com is better 1000 times. resale opportunity, brand authority, market value, renewal cost and i can continue...

•••
As far as this context is concerned. This debate should be strictly valued, based on the present trend in the market. Therefore on that note I vote for NiceCar.com.

Nice.car is also good for branding but less valuable and very expensive to manage in terms of annual renewals. Though it may be of good value in the nearest future, but any business established on Nice.car now will definitly send more traffic to NiceCar.com which is very trendy now.Ha! They are uncomparable to either.

No one could have the opportunity of having NiceCar.com and go for Nice.car. Nice.car is alternative and coming into market as a second chance for NiceCar.com

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'd say Nicecar.com wins because when you pronounce nice car you don't have to put a period between them unlike Nice.car Its just not good to hear ( just my opinion )

•••
As far as this context is concerned. This debate should be strictly valued, based on the present trend in the market. Therefore on that note I vote for NiceCar.com.

Nice.car is also good for branding but less valuable and very expensive to manage in terms of annual renewals. Though it may be of good value in the nearest future, but any business established on Nice.car now will definitly send more traffic to NiceCar.com which is very trendy now.Ha! They are uncomparable to either.

No one could have the opportunity of having NiceCar.com and go for Nice.car. Nice.car is alternative and coming into market as a second chance for NiceCar.com
Can you brand the word "nice"? and I will say the ".car" can not be brand.

•••
In math "." can be translated to as an imaginary/multiplication sign.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back