Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

discuss (Ex) NiceCar.com vs Nice.car

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

kaffekoppen

Established Member
Impact
45
Lets say both where undeveloped:

NiceCar.com vs Nice.car

1. Who wins, and by how much?
2. Will it always stay the same?
3.Who wins the seo-battle for those two keywords? Will they be able to stand toe-to-toe.

(I know the .com will win today. But the question is for how long, and by how much)
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Has someone already brought the popcorn? :-D
 
0
•••
It looks like Apple chose a .car domain instead of ****car.com
Show attachment 40441

Apple.car was registered in 2015; AppleCar.com was already taken in 2004. How could Apple dream of Apple Car when they didn't even have iPhone then.
 
0
•••
Lets say both where undeveloped:

NiceCar.com vs Nice.car

1. Who wins, and by how much?
2. Will it always stay the same?
3.Who wins the seo-battle for those two keywords? Will they be able to stand toe-to-toe.

(I know the .com will win today. But the question is for how long, and by how much)

IMO,
NiceCar.com wins today. But Nice.Car will win in 2026.
 
0
•••
At the moment
I think it wouldn't make sense in the future too. Why?
1. Past data shows extension has nothing to do with SEO. Did .net, .org, .co etc. ever get priority? It's after all content that defies everything else in SEO.

2. It won't be fair. There will be thousands and more of extensions soon. How can google prioritize one extension over all others, just because of the extension name, although both have same quality content?

The day 'extension' takes over 'content' in SEO, the meaning of value will be corrupted.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
nicecar.com is better 1000 times. resale opportunity, brand authority, market value, renewal cost and i can continue...
 
2
•••
As far as this context is concerned. This debate should be strictly valued, based on the present trend in the market. Therefore on that note I vote for NiceCar.com.

Nice.car is also good for branding but less valuable and very expensive to manage in terms of annual renewals. Though it may be of good value in the nearest future, but any business established on Nice.car now will definitly send more traffic to NiceCar.com which is very trendy now.Ha! They are uncomparable to either.

No one could have the opportunity of having NiceCar.com and go for Nice.car. Nice.car is alternative and coming into market as a second chance for NiceCar.com
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Nice.Car is great!
 
0
•••
I'd say Nicecar.com wins because when you pronounce nice car you don't have to put a period between them unlike Nice.car Its just not good to hear ( just my opinion )
 
0
•••
As far as this context is concerned. This debate should be strictly valued, based on the present trend in the market. Therefore on that note I vote for NiceCar.com.

Nice.car is also good for branding but less valuable and very expensive to manage in terms of annual renewals. Though it may be of good value in the nearest future, but any business established on Nice.car now will definitly send more traffic to NiceCar.com which is very trendy now.Ha! They are uncomparable to either.

No one could have the opportunity of having NiceCar.com and go for Nice.car. Nice.car is alternative and coming into market as a second chance for NiceCar.com
Can you brand the word "nice"? and I will say the ".car" can not be brand.
 
0
•••
In math "." can be translated to as an imaginary/multiplication sign.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Nicecar.com= nicecarcom
Nice.car= NiceCar
 
0
•••
I like NiceCar.com... Just my 2 cents
 
1
•••
.com IS KING AND IS STILL THE PREFERRED EXTENSION

Just like many believed UPPER CASE was and always was going to be the preferred case? ;)
 
0
•••
1. Who wins, and by how much?
2. Will it always stay the same?
3.Who wins the seo-battle for those two keywords? Will they be able to stand toe-to-toe.
(I know the .com will win today. But the question is for how long, and by how much)

1- Today it really depends on the specific domains you're looking at. The one super important factor most people here have forgotten is cost/price. Today in Oct 2016 .com is still the preferred .. but if acquiring the .com is going to cost you $40,000 versus a standard gTLD registration at $10-$40 then the gTLD option might be the better one. Conversely, if buying the .com is only going to set you back up to a couple hundred dollars (or especially just a $10 hand-registration) while the gTDL you're looking at is a premium, then .com is a the brainer choice. If the medium term price points (including renewals) are about the same then .com is still the way to go.

That being said .. I think in the majority of cases today in 2016, the more expensive option for something decent will actually be in the acquisition of a good .com, so I wouldn't automatically say go with .com .. it really depends on the specifics.

2- No (and yes). As much as old school domainers with 20,000 .com's don't want it to be true, there will be a point where gTDL's do reach a certain critical mass in the public eye. 3 years ago I was one of the very few saying driverless cars were 7-8 years away, and everyone said I was crazy .. yet here we are now .. with driverless cars just a few years out. I think the rise of gTLD's will be the exact same thing .. with good .com taken, people will turn to much better gTDL's .. it won't be everyone, but it doesn't need to be. Just the other week I saw a medium sized business flash a 3 L .co at the end of their TV ad. As this happens more and more we will see a snowball effect pushing towards better gTLD awareness. When that happens new businesses will turn to better shorter gTLD's instead of the only available .com's.

At that point I think it will STILL be the same value judgement I mentioned above for your first question, but the decision based on price point where you'd go for .com before gTLD will be shifted much further towards the better (left of dot) gTDL (not completely though .. just closer than it is now .. .com will be strong for many many many years .. which ironically is why it could be too expensive an option).

3- Theoretically everything left of the dot is supposed to be the same, so hippo.com, hippo.org, hippo.co and hippo.pet are all supposed to be the same in terms of SEO. Some say age might be a factor so getting and aged hippo.com MIGHT beat out on a new hippo.pet. So unless you have access to Goggle's search algorithms, there is no real way to know for sure or how much a difference it makes.

IMPORTANT: .com is NOT king ... CONTENT IS KING! Never forget that. At the end of the day your actual domain is an ever diminishing factor in organic search. Although it is a big factor if outside marketing/branding is important to the business. Remember the so called "radio test" .. whatever the domain, your goal is that if someone hears the domain on a radio ad, they should remember it the next day (if you're looking for more than just search engine traffic).

What I'm not sure of however if left to right spanning the dot is the same. Meaning that nicecar.com and nicecar.car are "supposed" to be the same, but it is conceivable that nice.car is just equal to nice.com (although I doubt it). I'm also pretty sure that in Goggle's fight to keep searches relevant, it's only a matter of time before they do start using right of dot relevance as a factor (if they haven't already).

WARNING: While I do think gTDL's will become more and more relevant sooner than most might think .. I do NOT thikn all gTLD's are created equal. For your specific example, there is a problem in that I think there's actually going to be at least 4 gTLD's for the auto industry: .car .cars .auto and .autos .. mind you one could argue the same problem with nicecar.com nicecars.com niceauto.com and niceautos.com .. but for some reason I think split TLD's will be more confusing (don't ask me why .. it's more a gut feeling). And there are other factors in what I feel is a very wide range of value of the various gTLD's that would likely take a book to explain.

So to sum up .. unfortunately at the end of the day I don't think anyone can truly tell you which is better for for you ... as it totally depends on your budget and the scope of your intended business. It also depends on Google's secret and constantly evolving search algorithms .. which nobody really knows about for sure (or at least nobody who is actually going to tell you .. lol).

But as I've said before .. all this is just this relatively new domainer's 0.00003 bitcoins worth .. so take it with a grain of .SALT! ;)
 
Last edited:
3
•••
Google Search results:

nice car = 323.000.000

"nice car" = 9.220.000

nicecar = 9.070.000

nice-car = 26.100.000

nice.car = 26.500.000

nicecar.com = 9.620.000

nicecar.net = 9.610.000

nicecar.vip = 42.000.000

nicecar.pizza = 41.900.000

nicecar.xyz = 9.480.000

nicecar.pro = 42.000.000

nicecar.shop = 9.550.000

nicecar.online = 9.610.000

nicecar.cloud = 41.900.000

nicecar.gratis = 42.000.000



I don't know what to think about ... it seems we must elaborate a bit O_o upon Google Search system!!
 
0
•••
Google Search results:

nice car = 323.000.000

"nice car" = 9.220.000

nicecar = 9.070.000

nice-car = 26.100.000

nice.car = 26.500.000

nicecar.com = 9.620.000

nicecar.net = 9.610.000

nicecar.vip = 42.000.000

nicecar.pizza = 41.900.000

nicecar.xyz = 9.480.000

nicecar.pro = 42.000.000

nicecar.shop = 9.550.000

nicecar.online = 9.610.000

nicecar.cloud = 41.900.000

nicecar.gratis = 42.000.000



I don't know what to think about ... it seems we must elaborate a bit O_o upon Google Search system!!
Google is trying to find a balance in all those new extensions :)
 
0
•••
1- Today it really depends on the specific domains you're looking at. The one super important factor most people here have forgotten is cost/price. Today in Oct 2016 .com is still the preferred .. but if acquiring the .com is going to cost you $40,000 versus a standard gTLD registration at $10-$40 then the gTLD option might be the better one. Conversely, if buying the .com is only going to set you back up to a couple hundred dollars (or especially just a $10 hand-registration) while the gTDL you're looking at is a premium, then .com is a the brainer choice. If the medium term price points (including renewals) are about the same then .com is still the way to go.

That being said .. I think in the majority of cases today in 2016, the more expensive option for something decent will actually be in the acquisition of a good .com, so I wouldn't automatically say go with .com .. it really depends on the specifics.

2- No (and yes). As much as old school domainers with 20,000 .com's don't want it to be true, there will be a point where gTDL's do reach a certain critical mass in the public eye. 3 years ago I was one of the very few saying driverless cars were 7-8 years away, and everyone said I was crazy .. yet here we are now .. with driverless cars just a few years out. I think the rise of gTLD's will be the exact same thing .. with good .com taken, people will turn to much better gTDL's .. it won't be everyone, but it doesn't need to be. Just the other week I saw a medium sized business flash a 3 L .co at the end of their TV ad. As this happens more and more we will see a snowball effect pushing towards better gTLD awareness. When that happens new businesses will turn to better shorter gTLD's instead of the only available .com's.

At that point I think it will STILL be the same value judgement I mentioned above for your first question, but the decision based on price point where you'd go for .com before gTLD will be shifted much further towards the better (left of dot) gTDL (not completely though .. just closer than it is now .. .com will be strong for many many many years .. which ironically is why it could be too expensive an option).

3- Theoretically everything left of the dot is supposed to be the same, so hippo.com, hippo.org, hippo.co and hippo.pet are all supposed to be the same in terms of SEO. Some say age might be a factor so getting and aged hippo.com MIGHT beat out on a new hippo.pet. So unless you have access to Goggle's search algorithms, there is no real way to know for sure or how much a difference it makes.

IMPORTANT: .com is NOT king ... CONTENT IS KING! Never forget that. At the end of the day your actual domain is an ever diminishing factor in organic search. Although it is a big factor if outside marketing/branding is important to the business. Remember the so called "radio test" .. whatever the domain, your goal is that if someone hears the domain on a radio ad, they should remember it the next day (if you're looking for more than just search engine traffic).

What I'm not sure of however if left to right spanning the dot is the same. Meaning that nicecar.com and nicecar.car are "supposed" to be the same, but it is conceivable that nice.car is just equal to nice.com (although I doubt it). I'm also pretty sure that in Goggle's fight to keep searches relevant, it's only a matter of time before they do start using right of dot relevance as a factor (if they haven't already).

WARNING: While I do think gTDL's will become more and more relevant sooner than most might think .. I do NOT thikn all gTLD's are created equal. For your specific example, there is a problem in that I think there's actually going to be at least 4 gTLD's for the auto industry: .car .cars .auto and .autos .. mind you one could argue the same problem with nicecar.com nicecars.com niceauto.com and niceautos.com .. but for some reason I think split TLD's will be more confusing (don't ask me why .. it's more a gut feeling). And there are other factors in what I feel is a very wide range of value of the various gTLD's that would likely take a book to explain.

So to sum up .. unfortunately at the end of the day I don't think anyone can truly tell you which is better for for you ... as it totally depends on your budget and the scope of your intended business. It also depends on Google's secret and constantly evolving search algorithms .. which nobody really knows about for sure (or at least nobody who is actually going to tell you .. lol).

But as I've said before .. all this is just this relatively new domainer's 0.00003 bitcoins worth .. so take it with a grain of .SALT! ;)
.com is king when you look at sales data. Even the past years data clearly shows that .com is still preferred for both investors and end users.

Some startups may launch on a more affordable nGtld but once they can afford it they will look to acquire the .com
 
Last edited:
0
•••
.com is king when you look at sales data. Even the past years data clearly shows that .com is still preferred for both investors and end users.

Nope ;) .. You're citing the part of my post where I replied to his 3rd question (regarding SEO not sales value) ... where .com most certainly is not necessarily king .. in SEO content most certainly is king more than anything else .. .com simply also tends to be ranked higher because .com's also tend to be older with more developed and established content.


Also note .. I never said .com wasn't preferred .. just saying there are several costing factors to consider in making your choice .. often times the resell price of a good .com simply puts it out of reach compared to a better (left of dot) gTLD. It's really a case by case judgement (where even i stated above .. that for now more likely leans towards .com more often than not .. but not always unilaterally).
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Thank you guys for your wisdom. Especially agety.com and rivey001, for putting in the time and effort to write such a comprehensive summary!

I'm really split when it comes to this question. On one hand, i feel like the .com will drown in the sea of good names (now with the new tlds). And on the other hand, these "keyword.keyword-names" just gives the impression of being nonspecific imo.

I guess i would pick nice.car in the end. .com right now, but i have a feeling it will become outdated with .com in the future.
 
0
•••
What about the 3 keyword ones?

For example: findcheapflights.com vs findcheap.flights?

Does the same rules apply, or is it way worse when we mix in more keywords?
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

More data. Your data. See what is new
Major update
We have made a number of features available to provide sellers more data for their domains and inquiries, and greater access to the data...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back