Domain Empire

opinion Every fool can sell a domain name (I sold artshop.io)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

siyavuya

Established Member
Impact
If you ask me how I did it? The answer is I have no idea.
Most people here pointed out that artshop.io is a rubbish domain and I found myself in tears crying.
I didn't want anything to do with it. I wanted it gone.

But, guess what
It gave me my first sell. Now I absolutely love it because it proves to me that it can be done.
I can actually buy and sell domain names.

If I can do it I believe that each and every person can too.

To all the people who shared words of encouragement I really appreciate it.

I know it's going to be a long journey but I know that it's going to be worth it.
The hardest sell to make is always the first one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats on the sale. However, in fairness, it is still not a good domain.

Your thread "Is it me or My domain?" received a lot of good responses by forum members.

I appreciate the responses and directness of forum members. I would rather someone tell me what I don't want to hear that is true, than just tell me something I want to hear. You don't learn much that way.

Consistently making sales is based on likelihood of sales. You can't build a business on outliers so you need to stack the odds in your own favor with good domains.

Brad

•••
Congrats! a $5 loss is better than a $25 loss :)
Thank you. I'm really not looking at it as a loss because there are lessons in it. I learnt to transfer a domain :xf.grin:

•••
•••
^^^^^

Seriously guys?!?!? Can't you cut a young person that is just starting out in the world - and the world of business - a break???

Not everyone was born with all the business wisdom and savvy that some on this forum were. </sarcasm>

Last edited:
•••
You guys are being harsh. I think we need to hear not just the success stories but the fails too. They have educative value.
Domainers prefer to focus on the sales and magnify them, but they are reluctant to talk about their failures and their loss-making domains. That is, the more representative side of their activity...

The lesson in this thread is that domaining, like any other business, is also about cutting losses. Losses are inevitable, what is important is that they be offset by sales.

•••
Gain or Loss should be calculated per whole portfolio.
Just 1 domain doesn't represent anything.

•••
Congratulations. You shouldn't be crying over a domain though :bored:

•••
Last edited:
•••
Congratulations @siyavuya on your first sale. I agree that the first sale is important. Mine was for a trivial amount and in a name I did not really expect to sell but it was still a great feeling to have actually successfully sold a domain. I slso admire your enthusiasm going forward. Congratulations once more and best wishes for success in domaining.
Bob

•••
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day ...

As long as you upgrade the quality of your names with the money, keep it up! Congrats. Hopefully you made a profit

It costs more than $20 to register a .io and I've not seen any deals.

Well congrats on a sale anyway but if it's a loss then treat it as a lesson I guess.

•••
Crying? You have to toughen up if you are to succeed at this. Even with a non rubbish name sales take time and effort. Do not be impatient or let our honest opinions upset you. You need to not take constructive criticism personally. Glad you have made a sale.

•••
Congrats on your first sale. This fool (me) can't sell anything lol. 10 months in and not a single offer on 250 domains. But it's not a lack of effort as I have them on Sedo, afternic, undeveloped, also promoting here at namepros, twitter and Facebook. Over 200 outbound too. It's hard work and demoralising but I'm sure that first sale will come at some point.

•••
I didn't make a profit on it. I made a $5 loss on it. There are some things I could have done like to put a reserve on it but I just wanted to get my first sell. A lot of people were telling me to just drop it and that influenced not putting the reserve. I really had lost my love for the domain after the comments I had received here. By the way I'm from South Africa and this is my first time to earn US$ and that's exciting to me.

•••
I think there is another thing you have to keep in mind. While online appraisal tools are nearly worthless, so are appraisals from humans. I don't mean to be rude to domainers, but many have a myopic view in their appraisals and only look at a domain through a lens of a domainer. A good appraisal is one that takes into account the psychology of an end-user and also realizing that MOST end-users are not very savvy when it comes to a good domain from a marketing standpoint.

•••
BTW: I hope you are not getting into domaining because it is easy money. It's not.

Also, you stated earlier about developing domains and building a list and selling the site + domain + list. That's OK, but realize that this isn't not easy either. In fact, it's a lot of work and there is no guarantee of success because you are at the mercy of Google. SEO is a tough gig unless you really know SEO well, and that takes a long time and it's constantly changing.

If you know 12 languages, you may want to look into selling that skill. Lots of people want their websites translated into other languages. As long as the languages you know are in-demand languages, you can make money that way.

•••
I have been doing this a long time and seen and heard a lot of stories and kept track of a lot of stories.

Ideally I believe if you own average to below average names, your time would be better off trying to find a topic you have passion for, experience with, and above average knowledge or expertise, and build a business.

But many have walked down the path of regging a name, and when someone says, "that's not a great name" they get the reply "Oh well maybe I will develop it"

What do you know about the topic, add to that you own 300 domains in 200 different niches, what do you know about those 200 topics? Do you have the ability and resources to manage all this?

I can say 99.9% of those who said they were going to be developing all their names, have never followed through. Most have never developed one.

I do agree with @SirDrago that you can make a website quick and be creative and find a way to monetize it to cover reg fees. You just need to be a very detail oriented person that is going to be dedicated to that task.

Some companies worked hard to try to help domainers with this, WhyPark now it's why doesn't that domain resolve? Noomle that site now will give you a great recap of your favorite soap opera.

If you want to sell domain names, learn how to sell domain names and learn how to buy the right domain names.

If you want to develop websites, make your first one a proof of concept, nurture it, give it the time it needs and see if you can make it happen.

Last edited:
•••
I like this a lot . Most people here don't want to help they just want to create noise and discourage to feel above the rest. Never listen to anyone and stick to whatever reasons that convinced you that your domain is good. Even if it takes 10 years to sell so what! You make your money regardless as long as you don't put all your eggs into one basket. Create your own strategies and rules. Thats how you get good at anything. I've been an active investor in Wall Street and with Digital assets and I can tell you first hand that if i had listened to everyone i would be broke. This includes those who claim to be experts. My biggest advice to you is everything you get from NamePros take it with a grain of salt. Most people here don't know what they are talking about and can come off like jerks. Only use NamePros when looking to find good deals for your next purchase. Thats what I do. I purchased BanquetHall.com a few weeks ago and many thought man that name sucks. Well I just got offered $7000 today for it and i only paid $1400 3 weeks ago. So yeah like I said don't listen to anyone. Listen to your gut and find good deals. Sales will come .

Last edited:
•••
I didn't make a profit on it. I made a $5 loss on it. There are some things I could have done like to put a reserve on it but I just wanted to get my first sell. A lot of people were telling me to just drop it and that influenced not putting the reserve. I really had lost my love for the domain after the comments I had received here. By the way I'm from South Africa and this is my first time to earn US$ and that's exciting to me.

Big or small, It doesn't matter. Its your 1st sale. I remember I earn about $5 through clicking on emails & adds in 2005-2006. it took me couple of months to get that $5. Its my 1st US$ earning. Guess what? I lost it to a scammer trying to exchange it to my home currency. I lost hope. Buter never gave up

I have developped a lot since then. I read a lot on internet. NamePros helped me a lot to be in the domain industry and $5 is nothing to me now.

So I suggest you to read a lot. NamePros is a good place to learn. try hand registerding domain with coupons or cheap registrars. Try to make small profits 1st. Then build your portfolio gradually.

Congrats on your 1st Sale and keep it up.

•••
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day ...

As long as you upgrade the quality of your names with the money, keep it up! Congrats. Hopefully you made a profit

•••
From the first domain a lot of lessons have been learnt thanks to this site. I have even upgraded to a full member so that I can take full advantage of this site. Moving forward I plan to play this domain game at the highest level only.

These are the things I'm going to make sure I can deliver on before buying any domain
1. Build a site that can be monetized
2. Build traffic to the site (Paid traffic for faster results and seo for long term and perceived value)
3. Collect leads from the site. The list of leads is key to the sell.
4. Have funnels up-selling

Lead gen and conversions are areas of strength for me and I can see how I'm going to really have fun
in the domain space.
I can't wait for the next domain/site that I will share with everyone here.

•••
Thank you. The other lesson is stand by your domain. There's a reason someone just bought it. I saw something in it and I let other people's opinions affect how I feel about it :(
Actually, one of the first lessons you should have learned is NOT to get emotionally attached to a domain unless it is for your own personal use.

Other lessons might be:
  • Don't "invest" any money in domaining that you aren't willing or can't afford to lose.
  • Just because a domain name might be a nice combination of words doesn't mean it will have much (if any) value or liquidity.
  • The domain extension WILL effect the overall desirabilty (and value) of the domain despite the words that precede the dot.
  • You need to read and learn more before you spend a lot of money chasing domaining.
  • People are willing to help you learn if you are open to and can accept honest feedback. And yes, there are some jerks out their that are just trying to be nasty - or maybe just have poor interpersonal communication skills. But as demonstrated in the other thread about your domain, there are plenty of people that will try to help if you are willing to listen.
There are more lessons but I have to run... Again, good luck.

•••
selling a domain with a loss for $25 USD
is nothing to brag about
sale or not sale
its not what you want to achieve at all

your title should be
"Every fool can sell a domain name accepting a loss"

and is misleading in every aspect
you are wasting other people time with such a post

nobody can learn anything from you and your sales history

you made it to my ignore list

•••
selling a domain with a loss for $25 USD
is nothing to brag about
sale or not sale
its not what you want to achieve at all

your title should be
"Every fool can sell a domain name accepting a loss"

and is misleading in every aspect
you are wasting other people time with such a post

nobody can learn anything from you and your sales history

you made it to my ignore list

At least she got paid for her domain unlike you.
And here you are judging others for getting paid although at a slight lost.
Better something than nothing as the paid will say.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/sold-by-outbound-no-payment-how-to-react.1061066/

laughing.gif

•••
My very first enduser sale was for $600 with my local ccTLD .com.ua and after 15 months since I started my domaining...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back