IT.COM

Ethics of staying quiet when newbies reg rubbish?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainGist

BigDomains.co.ukTop Member
Impact
I dip in and out of this forum, leave for 9 months, back for 6 etc. Most recently quit domaining and had a change of heart and started to rebuild.

But every time I come back here I see a few newbies hand-registering absolutely turgid rubbish by the hundreds or even thousands.I won't name any names here as it would look like an attack.

I know that some people just won't listen, and I see a few people trying to get them to stop, but these people are undermined by people who 'like' their reg of the day.

Lets be clear here, I'm not talking about 'subjectivity' here, but I'm talking about people registering domains with 3 hypens, or 50 character nonsense domains.

So two questions:

1. Do we have moral obligation to be straight with these newbies and tell them that they are registering rubbish, even if this is a thankless task and the person refuses to listen and even doubles down on what they are doing.

2. Is it ethical for experienced domainers to 'like' posts which seem to validate the newbies selections.

I look at some of these people with thousands of completely unsellable hand regs, and on one hand I do think that they probably play their part in keeping registration and renewal prices down for every domainer as these nonsense domains are part of the ecosystem and generate cash for the registry and registrars, but on the other hand these domainers could be in debt, or blowing money from family savings without their wives knowing.

I find it very difficult to see people spending like $7000 on terrible handregs without saying something.

One particular individual got very angry with me and suggested that he isn't rich enough to get domains from closeout, but a domain from closeout costs what... $25 including one year renewal, and this individual has hundreds and hundreds of hand regs from all sorts of extentions. So if they took their time they could build a decent port of say 100 closeout domains over a period of 12-18 months, that would probably cost them less.

Why do people ignore these newbies and let them waste their money, and more importantly why do some people seem to encourage this really self-destructive and damaging behaviour by pressing 'like' on red-widget8383eu.biz or whatever nonsense they have registered?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
domaining is not easy and it's true.
"Domaining - is the business of making money with internet domain names."
Any type of business is a risk. Newbies mostly just comes and buying on emotions ( they see topics like "Swetha’s Sales" and it's looks simple )
Yes, reading those types of sales certainly could give a newbie a temptation to buy many domains. They may have the false impression that at least a few of the many could "hit the jackpot."

Note also that there was a curious situation before, where even a seemingly uninteresting and seemingly worthless $1 domain could sell for $2. If no transaction fee was involved (as in using Paypal FF), the investment was effectively doubled in value. So newbies may have been tempted by these potential low value, bulk purchases.

Reality is not so pretty as business plan =) It's business: You should be ready to start from ZERO for 5-10 times. Good Luck to all of us.
Amen to that! Thanks for the reminders.

•••
i know that i am a complete newbie here, and reading this post i most agree that there is people that just doesnt want to learn from mistakes made by other people, that are giving advice,
but its also true that until it hurts ( lose money for example ) people wont learn
if you mentioned and gave advice and they still dont want to listen, well your conscience is clean @DomainGist

•••
Good domains you can hold for several years, ones that have an actual chance of selling. Not the domains you're registering.

You are literally buying domains with dashes in them, that people can hand register without a dash.

Example:

You have Waking-on-Sunshine.com. I can hand reg WakingOnSunshine.com

You are getting new gtlds with dashes in them, like these:

Staying-at-Home.Works
i-love-ibiza .life
woke-the.world

These are horrible names. You should read more, study sales more.
To be fair to the guy, since then, it looks like all these names have been dropped.

•••
only if they ask for appraisal, or if they ask for opinions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back