Dynadot

domains ETH.Link - Sells for $204,032 USD at DynaDot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Furthermore /

@Robbie

you should update your post to reflect the true sale price of $851,000 USD

33 active bidders / 350 + bids

•••
william,

I was quite intrigued by your post

Do you invest in cryptocurrency at all, or are you only a domain investor ?

~

Now let me say this, with where ethereum is going and the fact it was built off a .org extension like BTC and still has managed to attain about 10% of a trillion dollar market valuation, I’d say they are doing well enough to respectfully decline ownership of the .com (which) someone else utilizes and is selling for $10,000,000

And given that eth.com sold for $2,000,000 / I would say that the new owners of eth.link did do very well ^ given that 60% of the crypto companies are not utilizing .com domains

Time to get caught up,

Invest in good names, doesn’t matter if it’s .com or .xyz or .whatever - invest in names that make sense, and can be tied to valuable industries
"invest in names that make sense, and can be tied to valuable industries" i couldn't have said it better myself. While i'm not sure why, eth.link isn't showing up on Nambio now? It was there a day ago, but it's gone now. Don't you own Wine.link? i own a few like Pinot, Chardonnay, and Cabernet with the .link extension.

Thanks Allesandro (y)

•••
william,

I was quite intrigued by your post

Do you invest in cryptocurrency at all, or are you only a domain investor ?

~

Now let me say this, with where ethereum is going and the fact it was built off a .org extension like BTC and still has managed to attain about 10% of a trillion dollar market valuation, I’d say they are doing well enough to respectfully decline ownership of the .com (which) someone else utilizes and is selling for $10,000,000

And given that eth.com sold for $2,000,000 / I would say that the new owners of eth.link did do very well ^ given that 60% of the crypto companies are not utilizing .com domains

Time to get caught up,

Invest in good names, doesn’t matter if it’s .com or .xyz or .whatever - invest in names that make sense, and can be tied to valuable industries

Snipe is when you bid at the last seconds before the auction ends and able to win the auction at a low price. The winner of the auction clearly didn't snipe anything as they claim. That was his point.

Last edited:
•••
The domain name is valuable only because

“Virgil Griffith, who was working at the Ethereum Foundation when ENS launched, was an early contributor to the ENS protocol. Because ENS is a permissionless protocol, anyone can build Dapps (decentralized applications) on top of it, which is the case for Virgil’s involvement with eth (dot)l ink. He purchased the domain and built an application that resolves ENS domains.”

"...because the only person with the authority to renew the domain, Virgil Griffith, is serving a 63-month prison sentence for helping North Koreans use cryptocurrencies to circumvent sanctions and has been unable to renew the domain from prison. "

Source: CoinDesk.

Referencing a post above: so what this really means is that Web3 still relies heavily on the existing domain name system. I don't think other similar names have similar values.

Last edited:
•••
almost a milion for .link is a joke.

•••
Thanks, Yes updating the post.

•••
almost a milion for .link is a joke.

It really has nothing to do with the domain, it might as well have been eth.horse.

It went for that price because it is an important part of the framework, and could have been a disaster if it fell into the wrong hands.

The actual domain value is negligible compared to the price. It was the specific usage in this case that lead to the inflated price.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I agree Brad its value was linked to its use not the domain name itself.

•••
magic!
ETH ‘s domains are damn good!
is the founder’s name valuable ?
Vitalik Buterin

•••
"Man sits in prison while his domain auctions off for nearly $1m, profiting big domain business, Dynadot.com"

what a headline

Last edited:
•••
10-year premium renewal fee for .link domain: $1000

Cost of making the registrar rich because you went to jail and failed to renew: $850,000

•••
The amount of ignorance in this thread is overwhelming,

But it still doesn’t surprise me to see the same old people arguing back and forth

And yes, to all the pro .commers tooting their horns, you’re all absolutely correct, the value is in the usage of the name, and lest we be honest, that’s what we all hope for our names, wether it is us, or someone who can write a nice check and put two and two together

While we are discussing domain value and their usage - here’s an SEC filing that states the value of car.com as a domain alone is $872,000,000 USD

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/39899/000003989915000006/gci-20141228x10k.htm

Does anyone here have a $1B to spend on a domain name ?

And as an investor would you say that value is projected on the name (because) of what it brings to the table

Otherwise if anyone knows better, please share with me any names that have sold for $100M + (non equity) deals

~

So yes, eth.link has value as a tool and a name ^ the same is true for car.com

The difference in value is projected by what these names have accomplished, at the end of the day though, all they are, are domain names and if domain names did not see any development / there would be no value in our industry

•••

But it still doesn’t surprise me to see the same old people arguing back and forth

And yes, to all the pro .commers tooting their horns, you’re all absolutely correct, the value is in the usage of the name, and lest we be honest, that’s what we all hope for our names, wether it is us, or someone who can write a nice check and put two and two together

While we are discussing domain value and their usage - here’s an SEC filing that states the value of car.com as a domain alone is $872,000,000 USD

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/39899/000003989915000006/gci-20141228x10k.htm

And as an investor would you say that value is projected on the name (because) of what it brings to the table

Otherwise if anyone knows better, please share with me any names that have sold for $100M + (non equity) deals

~

The difference in value is projected by what these names have accomplished, at the end of the day though, all they are, are domain names and if domain names did not see any development / there would be no value in our industry

I assume you mean Cars.com.

Car.com would also have a large amount of targeted, type in traffic without any development or marketing, but I am highly skeptical of that claimed value.

As far as Car.com goes, it looks like it is owned by AutoWeb.
They apparently have a market cap of less than $6 million.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AUTO/

The market cap of Cars.com (the company) is $832M, not just for the domain. There is way more value than just the domain in that number.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
vitalik buterin make the eth,
is his name valuable as domain ?

•••
It really has nothing to do with the domain, it might as well have been eth.horse.

It went for that price because it is an important part of the framework, and could have been a disaster if it fell into the wrong hands.

The actual domain value is negligible compared to the price. It was the specific usage in this case that lead to the inflated price.

Brad

we are all domainers here.. resellers... when we speak of domain value we do not care for who did what.to it or who in jail why... as such..eth..link for name value at 800k is the joke of the century..and should one day it be resold for nothing more than its name value as we all do with our names here...then it shall fetch 5k on the good day.

•••
Yeah, I agree Brad its value was linked to its use not the domain name itself.

"its value was linked to its use not the domain name itself"......and you don't think .LINK is a great TLD :xf.grin:

~

Thanks Allesandro.....rarely is the .com even available, and if it is, it's so overpriced it's absurd:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
"its value was linked to its use not the domain name itself"......and you don't think .LINK is a great TLD :xf.grin:

Thanks Allesandro.....rarely is the .com even available, and if it is, it's so overpriced it's absurd:xf.rolleyes:

It’s all a matter of new investment opportunities, that if some people were “open minded” and intelligent enough, they could see what’s right in front of them

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see “time” is a variable that does not pause, because someone says so, it is inevitable and the key to moving the industry >>>

There are 2,000,000,000 sites online, it is physically and digitally impossible to limit every business online to .com / hence we have 2000 + new .extensions ... some will make it, the majority will not ^ but those .extensions that do survive and carry a high quality valuable keyword, will prove a great asset

.com was the first element of commercial success / however moving forward and as the web3 space takes a foothold ^ there will be new .extensions utilized for different purposes / and yes if we can tie that (tool) usage to domains across the board (ENS) & (DNS) authority, then we can certainly expect great things for our industry, the domain industry.

•••
Last edited:
•••

Breaking: Ethereum Name Service sues to stop eth.link domain sale​

https://domainnamewire.com/2022/09/...me-service-sues-to-stop-eth-link-domain-sale/

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I think there are some valid concerns about the renewal and expiration process.

Brad

When he goes to court, he may be asked to provide a lot of insider documents, which may involve a lot of illegal things, after all, blockchain digital currency financing is not all legal

•••
this is why i renewed all my names till 2030…
if i go into coma or jail for 5 years, I’m still good

•••
Assuming that the legal challenge does not reverse the sale, it appears that the successful bidder, both at the $200k level and the final $852k auction, was an investment and development company called ManifoldFinance.

On their Twitter they seem to confirm purchase and that there plan is to restore service, along with some added security features that I do not technically understand.

Bob

•••

Breaking: Ethereum Name Service sues to stop eth.link domain sale​

https://domainnamewire.com/2022/09/...me-service-sues-to-stop-eth-link-domain-sale/

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I think there are some valid concerns about the renewal and expiration process.

Brad
It's kind of funny to see lawsuits from the "code is law" crypto space.

The whole thing is pretty interesting and I'm not sure I like the precedent of "tough luck" for expiring a high (ish) value domain where the current owner obviously wanted to renew it. I really don't understand how it gets to that point because, even if he's in jail, couldn't he have someone designated as a power of attorney to deal with his affairs?

I don't know who he is or what he did, but I don't think going to jail should prevent you from maintaining your assets and I consider a domain an asset, even if it's more like a lease or a license.

If you were in jail could the city refuse to make accommodations to let someone pay your property taxes on your behalf so they could eventually auction your house? I think people would be upset about that and, given the amount of money involved, it's not that different, is it?

•••
It's kind of funny to see lawsuits from the "code is law" crypto space.

The whole thing is pretty interesting and I'm not sure I like the precedent of "tough luck" for expiring a high (ish) value domain where the current owner obviously wanted to renew it. I really don't understand how it gets to that point because, even if he's in jail, couldn't he have someone designated as a power of attorney to deal with his affairs?

I don't know who he is or what he did, but I don't think going to jail should prevent you from maintaining your assets and I consider a domain an asset, even if it's more like a lease or a license.

If you were in jail could the city refuse to make accommodations to let someone pay your property taxes on your behalf so they could eventually auction your house? I think people would be upset about that and, given the amount of money involved, it's not that different, is it?

I agree. It creates some serious potential ownership issues.

I really have no idea what went on behind the scenes but it is my view that GoDaddy, or any registrar, should have a process in place to be able to renew a domain in this type of situation.

I think it is relatively unfair for someone to lose a valuable asset in this situation. It is highly likely that GoDaddy provided to them what they needed to do and they were unwilling or unable to do it, but that creates even more questions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back