IT.COM

domains ETH.Link - Sells for $204,032 USD at DynaDot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
william,

I was quite intrigued by your post

Do you invest in cryptocurrency at all, or are you only a domain investor ?

~

Now let me say this, with where ethereum is going and the fact it was built off a .org extension like BTC and still has managed to attain about 10% of a trillion dollar market valuation, I’d say they are doing well enough to respectfully decline ownership of the .com (which) someone else utilizes and is selling for $10,000,000

And given that eth.com sold for $2,000,000 / I would say that the new owners of eth.link did do very well ^ given that 60% of the crypto companies are not utilizing .com domains

Time to get caught up,

Invest in good names, doesn’t matter if it’s .com or .xyz or .whatever - invest in names that make sense, and can be tied to valuable industries

Snipe is when you bid at the last seconds before the auction ends and able to win the auction at a low price. The winner of the auction clearly didn't snipe anything as they claim. That was his point.

Last edited:
•••
•••
almost a milion for .link is a joke.

It really has nothing to do with the domain, it might as well have been eth.horse.

It went for that price because it is an important part of the framework, and could have been a disaster if it fell into the wrong hands.

The actual domain value is negligible compared to the price. It was the specific usage in this case that lead to the inflated price.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Paying $850,000 just because they forgot to renew?

Brilliant!
The name was owned by Virgil Griffith, who is currently unavailable (in jail for 5 years), and despite help from his lawyer, the company was unable to obtain access to his registrar account to renew the name. For the time being, they started eth.limo

•••
The domain name is valuable only because

β€œVirgil Griffith, who was working at the Ethereum Foundation when ENS launched, was an early contributor to the ENS protocol. Because ENS is a permissionless protocol, anyone can build Dapps (decentralized applications) on top of it, which is the case for Virgil’s involvement with eth (dot)l ink. He purchased the domain and built an application that resolves ENS domains.”

"...because the only person with the authority to renew the domain, Virgil Griffith, is serving a 63-month prison sentence for helping North Koreans use cryptocurrencies to circumvent sanctions and has been unable to renew the domain from prison. "

Source: CoinDesk.

Referencing a post above: so what this really means is that Web3 still relies heavily on the existing domain name system. I don't think other similar names have similar values.

Last edited:
•••
this is why i renewed all my names till 2030…
if i go into coma or jail for 5 years, I’m still good

•••
•••
Not sure they understand the meaning of a "snipe". Paying $800K for a .link domain is not it.

william,

I was quite intrigued by your post

Do you invest in cryptocurrency at all, or are you only a domain investor ?

~

Now let me say this, with where ethereum is going and the fact it was built off a .org extension like BTC and still has managed to attain about 10% of a trillion dollar market valuation, I’d say they are doing well enough to respectfully decline ownership of the .com (which) someone else utilizes and is selling for $10,000,000

And given that eth.com sold for $2,000,000 / I would say that the new owners of eth.link did do very well ^ given that 60% of the crypto companies are not utilizing .com domains

Time to get caught up,

Invest in good names, doesn’t matter if it’s .com or .xyz or .whatever - invest in names that make sense, and can be tied to valuable industries

•••

Strange this
Was set to end yesterday
I think Dynadot make some adjustment on T&C πŸ˜‰ and maybe auction of eth .link are part of this new rules

I read this new T&C - one of new rules is Late Fee now is with 10 days before expire ( and redemption period ) until now was only when domain go in auction in expire auction aprox 5 days
Need a new topic for this new T&C of Dynadot lot of changes

Last edited:
•••
This really has nothing to do with .link, or the domain itself, it is regarding a specific domain which is a core part of the framework.

Because of that importance, depending on who the new owner is, it could be used in nefarious ways.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Good news for my holds

eth/in
eth2/co.in
eth24/xyz

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yeah, I agree Brad its value was linked to its use not the domain name itself.

•••
10-year premium renewal fee for .link domain: $1000

Cost of making the registrar rich because you went to jail and failed to renew: $850,000

•••
The amount of ignorance in this thread is overwhelming,

But it still doesn’t surprise me to see the same old people arguing back and forth

And yes, to all the pro .commers tooting their horns, you’re all absolutely correct, the value is in the usage of the name, and lest we be honest, that’s what we all hope for our names, wether it is us, or someone who can write a nice check and put two and two together

While we are discussing domain value and their usage - here’s an SEC filing that states the value of car.com as a domain alone is $872,000,000 USD

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/39899/000003989915000006/gci-20141228x10k.htm

Does anyone here have a $1B to spend on a domain name ?

And as an investor would you say that value is projected on the name (because) of what it brings to the table

Otherwise if anyone knows better, please share with me any names that have sold for $100M + (non equity) deals

~

So yes, eth.link has value as a tool and a name ^ the same is true for car.com

The difference in value is projected by what these names have accomplished, at the end of the day though, all they are, are domain names and if domain names did not see any development / there would be no value in our industry

I assume you mean Cars.com.

Car.com would also have a large amount of targeted, type in traffic without any development or marketing, but I am highly skeptical of that claimed value.

As far as Car.com goes, it looks like it is owned by AutoWeb.
They apparently have a market cap of less than $6 million.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AUTO/

The market cap of Cars.com (the company) is $832M, not just for the domain. There is way more value than just the domain in that number.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
wow huge sale for dot link and dynadot. Congratulations! ty Mr. Rob.

•••
$851919 My God!! This is a dream deal. I hope I get lucky with a deal like this or half or even a quarter of it I will accept $19,000 :xf.grin: no problem

Attachments

• eth.jpeg
    eth.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 141
•••
•••
Paying $850,000 just because they forgot to renew?

Brilliant!

•••
Good news for my holds

eth/in
eth2/co.in
eth24/xyz

Anyone interested?
You have eth.in!??
wow
I have eth.study
eth.cv
eth.hiv

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back