NameSilo

Escrow.com - Photoshopping your ID is an option

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mr-x

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Just canceled a transaction b/c Escrow.com would not accept my ID with the DL and date of birth blacked out. Talked to customer support, explained anyone could modify a scanned picture. The number is worthless, customer support told me "that is an option".

Escrow.com is worthless.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Escrow.com is an option too :)
But you'll find that other escrow services (even overseas) have similar requirements.

•••
There are places and ids that forbid copying or submitting certain info and some places it is illegal to ask for this info. There is a whole other thread on here about Escrow.com suddenly demanding IDs - they are not obliged to do this and they don't seem to understand the implications.

•••
Escrow.com is an option too :)
But you'll find that other escrow services (even overseas) have similar requirements.

The transaction was at Escrow.com

It's not required and illegal to demand my drivers license number for purpose of ID. Escrow is registered as a US company.

Also, notice the Escrow.com employee encouraged me to alter the DL #. Why would anyone trust them to keep their identity information private?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Escrow.com finally realized I was paying with a company account which requires even more verification.. what a bunch of derp.

They have our Bank, business account name and number. It takes 10 seconds to lookup incorporation info on .gov website but that would be to easy I guess.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to return the money.

•••
Just canceled a transaction b/c Escrow.com would not accept my ID with the DL and date of birth blacked out. Talked to customer support, explained anyone could modify a scanned picture. The number is worthless, customer support told me "that is an option".

Escrow.com is worthless.

Escrow.com finally realized I was paying with a company account which requires even more verification.. what a bunch of derp.

They have our Bank, business account name and number. It takes 10 seconds to lookup incorporation info on .gov website but that would be to easy I guess.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to return the money.

Welp, still sounds painless compared to Flippa.com's Escrow service asking for id to be held next to one's head and then submitted.
Seriously.

•••
Check out the other thread and post in the poll https://www.namepros.com/threads/escrow-com-is-now-asking-for-photos-of-personal-docs.993366/

The majority say they will not give the ID.

There is another thread about alternative escrow services too.

As an escrow transaction is not creating a personal or business BANK ACCOUNT for an end user, using "Know Your Customer" as a reason to collect personal info is FISHY AF. The bank where the money goes already verified me fully. Escrow agents are merely a 3rd party passing them along.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back