Dynadot

Epik vs NameSilo?

NameSilo
Watch

Domaniak

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Anyone here using NameSilo and Epik? How does Epik compare to NameSilo? Interested in hearing from those with hands-on experience regarding pros and especially cons with consideration for the following:

- I don't want domain privacy

- not interested in their "marketplaces"

- not interested in registrar's DNS management / domain parking

- not interested in ccTLD's and new gTLD's offerings

- interested in admin panel convenient for managing domains in the thousands

- interested in robust multiple sub-accounts / user management

- interested in reselling

- interested in convenient domain "push" process between accounts

So far leaning towards Epik because of their competitive, fixed standard .COM pricing (for NP members), proactive "can do" support and domaining-centric environment and suite of additional services

*** Note: NOT INTERESTED in any other registrars - already have accounts with and tried most of them out and formed an opinion ***

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is a 5% commission in this case.

wow..5% for PayPal???
Do you use Payoneer?

Also what's the time frame for disbursement?
You can link me to the page if you prefer, thanks

Last edited:
•••
wow..5% for PayPal???
Do you use Payoneer?

Also what's the time frame for disbursement?
You can link me to the page if you prefer, thanks

By popular request, we'll add Payoneer payout support later this month. Currently the payout options are:

PayPal
Check via mail
ACH
Bitcoin
Wire - bank wire fee

Disbursement is usually within 24 hours. Verified accounts are paid out in minutes/hours.

•••
•••
@Adam27 - Leasing on the attractive terms that we offer is really for two reasons:

(1) It is a differentiating feature versus all other registrars, in that we have integrated a product for secure leasing with attractive terms.

(2) It is a customer acquisition strategy in that when a domainer leases or sells a domain, we gain an end-user. In case not obvious, we make all of our margin on end-users.

•••
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I'm thinking of consolidating my domains later on this year. I am a fan of NameSilo. Have not tried epik, but I may.
Thanks, everyone, for posting.
Quick question... Are either companies offering fast transfer with Afternic or have plans to? I seem to sell a bunch on Afternic and would love the fast transfer.

•••
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I'm thinking of consolidating my domains later on this year. I am a fan of NameSilo. Have not tried epik, but I may.
Thanks, everyone, for posting.
Quick question... Are either companies offering fast with Afternic or have plans to? I seem to sell a bunch on Afternic and would love the fast transfer.

Don't know for Epik, but NameSilo is part of Afternic Premium Network.

•••
Don't know for Epik, but NameSilo is part of Afternic Premium Network.

Yes, we are one of the few registrars that is both part of the Afternic Premium and Sedo fast transfer programs.

•••
Epik is on Afternic and Sedo MLS.

We will also release a secure, native mobile app this quarter which also will support the MLS inventories with fast-transfer. I met with Sedo's CEO, Tobias Flaitz, at NamesCon last week. We are looking forward to doing more with Sedo in the coming months to help Sedo compete more effectively in mobile-centric markets like India, China and Latin America. I believe this is a positive development for Epik customers.

•••
I have been using both..NameSilo for longer and so far my experience is the following.

NameSilo : the only cons are the old interface ( but totally functional and effective ) and the absence of PP disbursement / withdrawals for marketplace sales. I would like to see international transactions being as easy as US to US and the whois searches as well.

Epik : some cool functionalities like the rotating parking companies and the ability to see whois searches plus a very clean and well structured dashboard. Support -at least here on NP- outstanding.
Cons : very slow website and filters for domain marketplace are pretty much non existent.

•••
I have been using both..NameSilo for longer and so far my experience is the following.

NameSilo : the only cons are the old interface ( but totally functional and effective ) and the absence of PP disbursement / withdrawals for marketplace sales. I would like to see international transactions being as easy as US to US and the whois searches as well.

Epik : some cool functionalities like the rotating parking companies and the ability to see whois searches plus a very clean and well structured dashboard. Support -at least here on NP- outstanding.
Cons : very slow website and filters for domain marketplace are pretty much non existent.

Thanks for the feedback. We have a few new options coming out for Maketplace payment disbursement, but, just so you know, PayPal is already an option along with wire and account funds. We will be adding company check, ACH and bitcoin as well shortly.

•••
Maketplace payment disbursement, but, just so you know, PayPal is already an option

woooops! Sorry about that and great to know btw.
So maybe it was that payments for marketplace purchases have a quite low cc limit and PP is not allowed?...then if I am wrong again please link me to the page so I get back to study! :oops:

•••
woooops! Sorry about that and great to know btw.
So maybe it was that payments for marketplace purchases have a quite low cc limit and PP is not allowed?...then if I am wrong again please link me to the page so I get back to study! :oops:

Nope - we accept several forms of payment for Marketplace orders (credit/debit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, AliPay, Skrill, Dwolla and wire). We have a maximum of $5,000 before a wire is required, but for all other purchases, and of the aforementioned methods of payment are permitted :)

This page has more details:
https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Marketplace

•••

@photonmymind - Great compare/contrast from a sophisticated user. The domain marketplace is getting an upgrade shortly. As for the speed issue, the mobile app should be blazing. After that, we'll turn to web speed. Thanks for the feedback. By all means keep it coming.

Also, good to see members of the NameSilo team at NamesCon last week. They are owners that sling code, to use their term. In this industry, that is certainly rare.

•••
Thank you both @robepik & @namesilo for being so responsive to our questions.
What your registrars are and are becoming represent what our industry, and us as a consequence, need the most.
I think I have found the 2 companies I am going to stick with.

•••
Is Epik's pricing of .com for $8.10 just for the first domain? Or all .com domains?
I picked up 1 last night. Now I want to get another and it is showing at $10 for a new .com.
Update.. now is showing up for $8.49...still not $8.10, though.

Last edited:
•••
Is Epik's pricing of .com for $8.10 just for the first domain? Or all .com domains?
I picked up 1 last night. Now I want to get another and it is showing at $10 for a new .com.
Update.. now is showing up for $8.49...still not $8.10, though.
Just contact Epik support and ask for your account to be priced at the Namepros special pricing.

•••
Just contact Epik support and ask for your account to be priced at the Namepros special pricing.
Do you have to do that after every purchase? I had done that already, which brought the price down to $8.10 for my first purchase.
But, I'll try again. Maybe it will stick this time.

•••
Do you have to do that after every purchase? I had done that already, which brought the price down to $8.10 for my first purchase.
But, I'll try again. Maybe it will stick this time.
I only had to do it once and I've transferred 2000 domains to them.

•••
Email from Epik...

Dear Epik customer,
You are receiving this message because you are part of a select group of investors and large portfolio holders for which we offer registrations, renewals and transfers at base cost for certain TLDs - most notably .com.

Epik has such an offer in place because we understand every time you advertise and sell a domain through our Marketplace, you bring a new customer to us. It's our way of thanking you for your continued support.

We have always lived to the spirit of the offer, meaning we charged you the exact same amount we were charged by the registry. This resulted in a slight loss to Epik after payment processing fees.

Recently, however, we had a surge in fees charged by one of our payment processors, and honoring the deal without slight adjustments is not viable anymore. Therefore, effective immediately we are raising .com registration, renewal and transfer prices from $8.10 to $8.49.

We understand this change may impact negatively on your financial planning, thus we are making an one-time offer for those clients who would like to register, renew or transfer .com at old prices. For doing so, please deposit funds to your account in any amount by sending a wire transfer or Bitcoin, and reach Matheus Leite at (edited to remove email address). You will receive a $0.39 bonus credit to your account for each registration, renewal or transfer that you do using the funds sent.

In the upcoming months, we will work on developing a solution to allow different pricing schemes depending on the payment method that you select. When this is ready, we will be able to lower prices again.

We thank you for understanding this was a necessary change, and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Epik

Last edited:
•••
Missed it by that much...

I only got one $8.10. A few hours later, couldn't get it for another purchase. Dammit. I hate sudden price jumps.

Last edited:
•••
Missed it by that much...I only got one $8.10 . . . Dammit. I hate sudden price jumps.

Wow, your timing : bummer : Had my account for months, yet I did only a single COM transfer just to test the process. I am still playing transfer hop so my plan was to end up at Epik in a year or two.

Epik still has the best options for me for escrow - my plan is to quick transfer any names to Epik after I get legit offers, just to simplify the sales process and be able to use Epik Escrow, the zero fees will offset the 39 cent difference easily (OK technically for any sale >$26 LOL) Even my IO, bigger price difference for transfer than other registrars, the benefits easily outweigh the minor cost difference when a sale is pending.

@robepik - Here's some options, I'm sure you're already working on : grin :
Long ago, I used to send Money Orders by postal mail to enom, and they would apply funding with zero fees, hilariously old school and it took a week or two until it cleared for them to apply, yet it worked. And I have a couple companies I can go to their bank and make a cash deposit and send my account number and receipt to verify and get funded that way (no good for Int'l)

•••
Apologies for being late to this party. Just getting back from an 18 day, 5 country trip and managed to get on an international flight without a working WiFi. It happened to be on a day when we created some excitement.

For calibration, $8.10 is the hard cost from Verisign and ICANN for a .COM. The most recent PayPal rate increase is insane. Here is what happens with PayPal on your $8.10 domain purchase.

Total amount: $8.10 USD
Fee amount: -$0.53 USD
Net amount: $7.57 USD

That is a whopping 6.6%. Insane. Credit card processors are a little better but they are opportunists do.

When you are dealing in hundreds of domains, that is chump change. When you are dealing in hundreds of thousands of domains, it adds up.

Also, registrars keep funds on deposit with Verisign -- in other words we pre-pay Verisign. When customers pay us via PayPal or Credit card, we get those funds 2-3 days later as usable funds. Charity is one thing, but that is an upside-down economic model as it scales. And it is scaling as registrants move on from their legacy registrars in search of a reliable partner to hold their domain assets, process escrow and process domain sales/leases.

So all that being said, to get the $8.10 deal, here are the options:

- Wire funds into your Epik account

- Make a counter deposit at any Chase or Wells Fargo branch

- Pay via Bitcoin

- Sell or lease your domains via Epik -- your proceeds are deposited commission free, and tax-free, and are instantly available funds for domain purchases, etc

In other words, the $8.10 deal is completely on the table. It just requires our large volume clients to not have Epik hold the drippy bag from PayPal. Those guys are simply crooks. It is not just the transaction fees. They are also now charging insane fees for sending funds, e.g. a customer yesterday receiving a $2500 escrow proceeds getting charged another $51.25 in PayPal fees for a disbursement. It is nuts. The domain industry needs to do its part to put these jerks out of business.

So, bottomline, if anyone wants the $8.10 deal, just contact your account rep or support, and they will update your account to the $8.10 cost deal subject to the above funding methods.

At the end of the day, Epik is still the best deal around. With all-inclusive $8.10 .COM and a fantastic bundle of value-added services included at no additional cost. However, we do need our clients to cooperate and put these PayPal opportunists out of business. Enough is enough. #StopUsingPaypal

•••
...At the end of the day, Epik is still the best deal around. With all-inclusive $8.10 .COM and a fantastic bundle of value-added services included at no additional cost. However, we do need our clients to cooperate and put these PayPal opportunists out of business. Enough is enough. #StopUsingPaypal
You might want to consider separating transaction fees from your domain pricing. Specifically, keep the price unchanged irrespective of client's mode of payment and add respective fees, depending on payment method selected at checkout. Same thing when registering one domain or adding funds to the account. FYI, this is what some of your competitors have been doing for years.

Last edited:
•••
You might want to consider separating transaction fees from your domain pricing. Specifically, keep the price unchanged irrespective of client's mode of payment and add respective fees, depending on payment method selected at checkout. Same thing when registering one domain or adding funds to the account. FYI, this is what some of your competitors have been doing for years.

Yup, it is coming but the engineering team is heads-down finishing and launching the mobile application so we decided against injecting an unscheduled development cycle to fix an issue which impacts a fairly exclusive list of customers who are being impacted by this issue. Retail customers were not impacted. It is the growing list of at-cost clients where we needed to stop the bleeding as folks with thousands of domains were routinely paying with PayPal. That was not the intended use for this at-cost program.

•••
@robepik - since direct CC transactions are not subject to PP fees do you plan to include these as well ?
I don't use BTC & I'm European so wire / Chase or Wells Fargo is out of the question.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back