Epik Update on Afternic Fast Transfer Status

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Epik provided an update on their termination from Afternic Fast Transfer. In the blog post Epik gives some insight into what factors played a part in the decision from their view. From the post We believe there were several factors involved, including our reports of repeated Afternic security issues with their platform harming both registrars and domain investors who trusted them. Instead of … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can't we all get along :xf.frown:

All this negativity and animosity is only going to be bad for domainers and the domain Industry in the long run.

I hope that Godaddy doesn't go through with their plans to cut Epik off from the fast transfer at Afternic tomorrow and that all parties involved can find a way to reconcile because I like both Godaddy and Epik and I hate to see them part ways.

IMO

•••
Got the email from them.....

Is it me or this self justification and attacking of other companies really starting to get boring?

Why they can't just focus on their own shit I will never know.....

•••
Got the email from them.....

Is it me or this self justification and attacking of other companies really starting to get boring?

Why they can't just focus on their own shit I will never know.....

I tend to agree Nick. But with this issue I do understand there be animosity. It affects business. Think about it people who are not anti Epik who also like fast transfer with Afternic might move their names to another registrar because they want all the features possible.

•••
Where are you @Rob Monster.

Let’s have a unified message for 2021.
So much for “Fresh start” Pick your fights, why
Why why was NameBio able to restore Paypal peaceful?
Any hope for Paypal restoration or are we still cutting?

When does it all end. What’s the endgame?
Good luck Rob & Epik

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I tend to agree Nick. But with this issue I do understand there be animosity. It affects business. Think about it people who are not anti Epik who also like fast transfer with Afternic might move their names to another registrar because they want all the features possible.
I know, thats a choice people will have to make......but the way it is being dealt with by Epik is unprofessional (in my opinion) I have domains with them, like the set up BUT I am gradually shifting my domains to Dynadot at renewal time due to their corporate attitude more than anything else....for me the Afternic issue was what has pushed me over the edge

•••
I know, thats a choice people will have to make......but the way it is being dealt with by Epik is unprofessional (in my opinion) I have domains with them, like the set up BUT I am gradually shifting my domains to Dynadot at renewal time due to their corporate attitude more than anything else....for me the Afternic issue was what has pushed me over the edge

You are moving out, would no fast transfer also cause that if they had no drama?

•••
You are moving out, would no fast transfer also cause that if they had no drama?
Good question......some I would of moved, some I would not as I do not utilise fast transfer on all of my domains....

So if there had been no drama's it would of been decided on a domain by domain basis rather than the gradual long goodbye.....

•••
We are actually fans of Afternic. I use it and like Bob Mountain and his team. This decision to slow down Epik comes from much higher in the chain. The industry should ask itself WHY?

Last year, Godaddy took out Uniregistry. Are Uniregistry customers better off for that outcome? I doubt it.

Last year, a PayPal executive joined Godaddy's board of Directors in a year that Epik, for the first time in our operating history, had an issue with PayPal. Is the industry better off for that outcome? I doubt it.

At an individual level, the industry has to ask itself at what point does Godaddy cease to be a force for good? I surmise that for many, that point has already been passed.

•••
With exception of the Report Completed Domain Sales-section every time Afternic is mentioned on this forum it's because of something negative. Amazing.

•••
Looks like the afternic 'delisting' is active:

'Congratulations! Your domain(s) meet our highest quality standards. This means they are eligible to be listed on our exclusive Premium Promotion network, which dramatically increases your chance of a successful sales since you get maximum exposure across every reseller on the Afternic network, and the name is eligible for Fast Transfer, allowing the domain buyer immediate control of the name. To qualify for Premium Promotion, your domain must be registered at one of the the participating registrars. Click on the button below to initiate the transfer process.'

(In this area there is button where you can access an approved fast transfer registrar)

ADD/EDIT: I will not move a single name anywhere to allow for their fast transfer...

Last edited:
•••
Looks like the afternic 'delisting' is active:

'Congratulations! Your domain(s) meet our highest quality standards. This means they are eligible to be listed on our exclusive Premium Promotion network, which dramatically increases your chance of a successful sales since you get maximum exposure across every reseller on the Afternic network, and the name is eligible for Fast Transfer, allowing the domain buyer immediate control of the name. To qualify for Premium Promotion, your domain must be registered at one of the the participating registrars. Click on the button below to initiate the transfer process.'

(In this area there is button where you can access an approved fast transfer registrar)

ADD/EDIT: I will not move a single name anywhere to allow for their fast transfer...

<sarc>

Nothing anti-competitive at all. Nope, not at all. Looks perfectly normal.

</sarc>

•••
At an individual level, the industry has to ask itself at what point does Godaddy cease to be a force for good? I surmise that for many, that point has already been passed.

It sounds like Epik is attempting to start an anti-GD campaign. That seems the only plausible reason why make this all so public.

Last year, Godaddy took out Uniregistry.

GD didn't take out Uni. They bought the company and surely Frank Schilling got a nice deal out of it.

We saw registrars and registries merge in 2020. This trend will continue in 2021. It is not in the interest of domainers. But in the interest of stockholders and upper management.

Hopefully in 2021 we will see more innovation and alternatives for domainers.

Last edited:
•••
<sarc>

Nothing anti-competitive at all. Nope, not at all. Looks perfectly normal.

</sarc>
Don't worry about it, they just are haters because you and your team out innovate. Competition doesn't matter when blessed with the x-factor.

•••
Competition doesn't matter when blessed with the x-factor.

Yes, the elusive X-factor. Amen for that. It goes by different names, depending on who you ask. I usually call it the Holy Spirit. And to God be the glory!

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established. " - Proverbs 16:3

Those who have chosen to live it know that it is is real.

•••
In our experience, even with reasonable question or reports of non-approval, GoDaddy outright refuses to take any corrective action. In which case, the actual owner is left at a loss with zero options for recovery.

Pretty heavy allegation.

Any example domain(s) to fact check/inform the unknowing of said experience(s)?

Last edited:
•••
With exception of the Report Completed Domain Sales-section every time Afternic is mentioned on this forum it's because of something negative. Amazing.

I have sold many domains via Afternic and had very few issues with them.

People are more likely to report negative experiences than positive ones. That is a well known phenomenon.

Brad

•••
Business is not driven by emotions but by pure benefits and opportunities. I doubt Godaddy took this decision because they were annoyed from Epik's criticisms, I think they just took it as an execuse and as an opportunity to kick Epik out of the game. The surprising thing for me is that Epik is not a threat or a big competitor to Godaddy, actually there is no single registrar that is even close to being a competitor to Godaddy, so why on earth GD did that?!

Last edited:
•••
I like DYNADOT more now,
1. His visit speed is faster than EPIK. EPIK's visit in China is very slow in many cases.
2. He switched to a cheaper domain, often using a coupon code of $7.99

•••
We are actually fans of Afternic. I use it and like Bob Mountain and his team. This decision to slow down Epik comes from much higher in the chain. The industry should ask itself WHY?

Last year, Godaddy took out Uniregistry. Are Uniregistry customers better off for that outcome? I doubt it.

Last year, a PayPal executive joined Godaddy's board of Directors in a year that Epik, for the first time in our operating history, had an issue with PayPal. Is the industry better off for that outcome? I doubt it.

your wording is not great ACTUALLY...Epik I do still stand by

•••
Got the email. Came to voice my opinion.

I think Epik is being picked on by Godaddy.

And I got a question for you Rob...

The industry should ask itself WHY?

Why is Godaddy picking on Epik?

It's either because Godaddy is a bully or because Epik is a weak target. Maybe even a slight combination.

the industry has to ask itself at what point does Godaddy cease to be a force for good

Um...my impression is that they have always been crap for "the industry". Do serious domainers really use their services? At least ones they didn't buy. I had a ton of domains in Uniregistry, after the sale, I moved them all. Any domains I buy in Godaddy, I immediately transfer out asap. Their hosting is crap and I hate using their aftermarkets.

I think Epik likes the attention btw. But choosing the pity route of "poor me" is going to turn off some people. Some don't want drama in their professional relationships. Stability and security are more important than standing up for what's right.

Godaddy is crap, just saying. Epik, I just hope you don't let the drama be the focal point of your business. You're building a brand and a lot of services. Suggest you focus on that instead of these industry battles which you won't win this way.

Either start your lawsuits against them and fight this in court or move on imho. The public drama imho ain't good for business. Sending out that email was a mistake. I would not have done it for my business.

•••
Got the email. Came to voice my opinion.

I think Epik is being picked on by Godaddy.

And I got a question for you Rob...

Why is Godaddy picking on Epik?

It's either because Godaddy is a bully or because Epik is a weak target. Maybe even a slight combination.

Um...my impression is that they have always been crap for "the industry". Do serious domainers really use their services? At least ones they didn't buy. I had a ton of domains in Uniregistry, after the sale, I moved them all. Any domains I buy in Godaddy, I immediately transfer out asap. Their hosting is crap and I hate using their aftermarkets.

I think Epik likes the attention btw. But choosing the pity route of "poor me" is going to turn off some people. Some don't want drama in their professional relationships. Stability and security are more important than standing up for what's right.

Godaddy is crap, just saying. Epik, I just hope you don't let the drama be the focal point of your business. You're building a brand and a lot of services. Suggest you focus on that instead of these industry battles which you won't win this way.

Either start your lawsuits against them and fight this in court or move on imho. The public drama imho ain't good for business. Sending out that email was a mistake. I would not have done it for my business.

Thanks @labrocca.

The letter was sent to our largest clients, the ones we presume are impacted by the Afternic Fast-transfer feature. The issue the letter brings to light, is whether Godaddy is serving the industry in doing so.

You can be sure that Epik never cast the first stone with Godaddy. There is a way to deal with bullies. However, vengeance is of the Lord and we fully grasp that.

•••
•••
Thanks @labrocca.

The letter was sent to our largest clients, the ones we presume are impacted by the Afternic Fast-transfer feature. The issue the letter brings to light, is whether Godaddy is serving the industry in doing so.

You can be sure that Epik never cast the first stone with Godaddy. There is a way to deal with bullies. However, vengeance is of the Lord and we fully grasp that.

Rob it seems the quote that Paul Nicks gave to DNW said they dropped you because you kept attacking them.

"The reason Epik was dropped has everything to do with their constant attacking of us. We don’t feel the need to partner with someone who time and time again casually lies about a wide variety of issues.

We will not be providing further statements on their business, and reserve the right to explore any and all possible legal options to defend against their baseless claims."

The comments in that article are wild.

•••
We need to remove our dependency from GD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back