Dynadot

Epik.com Locking Policies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've just been told by Epik support that if I purchase a domain from another customer and it's pushed to my account, that it is locked for another 60 days. JUST LIKE @ GODADDY. If this is true, that's me done with Epik as a customer. One of the worst policies GoDaddy has is a new 60 day hold on a push. And now I'm being told it is the same at Epik. That's the end of my experiment with Epik (:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo does not refund you.

That was my understanding.

But it sounds like @Rob Monster was trying to spin it differently.

Earlier today, I spoke with the registrant @domainduude who paid $650 for a domain on Sedo ~10 days ago, paid via credit card. If the domain was not sold in good faith, he will be able to do a chargeback and we would provide evidence to support his claim that he was sold impaired goods.

Very professional of you Mr. @Rob Monster.
@stub - I don't know what motivates someone to produce such a nonsense but let's be clear. I don't know who you are in real life. If you were ever an Epik client, it would have been small-time.

You are obviously very active here with an ASTOUNDiNG 24,000 posts. That's great. I suggest don't waste your reputation on a cheap shot. My advice is to have this thread deleted.

The funny thing about your silly thread is that in the span of 12 minutes, we have the following 3 folks contributing to this post:

Anybody else you want to include regarding those allegedly conspiring against epik?

No mentioning of @GeorgeSoros this time around trying to dodge responsibility and project nonsensical blame?

Last edited:
•••
Soros? Politicize this thread? :banghead:

I'm sorry.

Would you rather I follow robs lead?

And start commenting about others commenting?

We've been down that road before.

Looks like folks are starting to realize that epik might be a shady company.

I still hold hope for otherwise. But based on the behind the scenes chatter of others feeling
intimidated by the epik culture to come forward publicly, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it might be a duck.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sorry.

Would you rather I follow robs lead?

And start commenting about others commenting?

We've been down that road before.

Looks like folks are starting to realize that epik is a shady company.

I still hold hope for otherwise. But based on the behind the scenes chatter of others feeling
intimidated by the epik culture to come forward publicly, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it might be a duck.

Epik does everything out in the open;

Epik CEO is here for crying out load!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
@stub - I don't know what motivates someone to produce such a nonsense but let's be clear. I don't know who you are in real life. If you were ever an Epik client, it would have been small-time.

You are obviously very active here with an ASTOUNDiNG 24,000 posts. That's great. I suggest don't waste your reputation on a cheap shot. My advice is to have this thread deleted.

The funny thing about your silly thread is that in the span of 12 minutes, we have the following 3 folks contributing to this post:

Show attachment 155109

Your registrar is Dynadot:

Show attachment 155108

As for XYNames?

Show attachment 155110

As for Grilled, he has been consistently subversive for weeks, enough for many folks to either take a break or quit NamePros entirely. The Moderators allow this nonsense.

Do you think people don't connect the dots? Of course they do. Like it or not, discerning people can and do spot the difference. People are not that stupid, guys. Sorry to disappoint you.

When folks conspire to produce rhetoric to align with a subversive agenda, you will find my engagement will be limited to calling out the nonsense that propagates it.

As for your opening premise, there is a fully operational policy of waiving 60-day locks upon request for unverified customers. For verified customers, it is typically not even in place.

In short, if your arbitrary interpretation of our transfer lock policy is the argument for why people would not overwhelmingly choose Epik as registrar, it is a weak case.

If you want to thoughtfully engage as a vested stakeholder in building the world's greatest registrar, I will sit down with you for as long as you like to review your feedback.

I think I sum it up nicely here:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6650803591445569536/

Those were not prepared remarks. It was a sincere statement from my heart, including the comment about embracing those who hold us to a higher standard. If that's you, I can accept that and respect it.

Hope that helps.

OK. I don't know who you are either allowing other members of Epik to priviledges which are not allowed to all. If there is any fraulent activity about the domain I bought, why don't you just inform me of this. But NO. You go on a lecture about me, and my membership of NP's. Nobody has yet informed me about any fraudulent activity on the domain in question. So in my mind, there should NOT be any 60 day hold. IN YOUR OWN WORDS. 'Nuff said.

•••
OK. @Rob Monster has resolved all the issues with the domain in question. So I'm satisfied. There is probably a "teachable moment" in here for his staff.

•••
OK. @Rob Monster has resolved all the issues with the domain in question. So I'm satisfied. There is probably a "teachable moment" in here for his staff.

Not going to debate it. Glad it got solved.

General advice:

1. Say hello. I now know who Stub is. I had no idea he had an account with Epik. He bought 1 domain in 2017 so was not hard to overlook. Nevertheless, happy to say hi to folks.

2. If there is an issue, just reach out -- @Sufyan Alani, @Jess Robison and I are all reachable for resolving issues where policy is not giving you what you need.

3. If you have plans to use Epik, it is a really good idea to get verified. That feature is here:

https://registrar.epik.com/account/verification/

It is free, and allows us to automate more steps for your account, especially for fast cash-outs from domain sales and leases. This is already among the fastest in the industry.

Last edited:
•••
Epik does everything out in the open;

Epik CEO is here for crying out load!

Samer

That is not true Samer. They took it upon themselves to start complete locking recent transfers a few months back with no announcement or explanation. I hardly call that out in the open. So when you transfer a domain you have no control over it for 60 days even no internal pushes unless you do their forced ID verification.

I don’t recall any verification of my ID when I spent thousands and thousands there before that. A side to side push is zero risk as its at the same registrar. People change names all the time especially in the brandable niche and if its not an Epik transaction they should have no involvement in our pushes or demands for ID verification. Do they demand ID for the account you wish to push it to? No so far. Nothing is consistent about this policy.

Last edited:
•••
3. If you have plans to use Epik, it is a really good idea to get verified. That feature is here:

https://registrar.epik.com/account/verification/

It is free, and allows us to automate more steps for your account, especially for fast cash-outs from domain sales and leases. This is already among the fastest in the industry.

Do you guys delete the ID right after it has been verified? I trust you guys but am careful about sending out copies of my passport.

•••
I've just been told by Epik support that if I purchase a domain from another customer and it's pushed to my account, that it is locked for another 60 days. JUST LIKE @ GODADDY. If this is true, that's me done with Epik as a customer. One of the worst policies GoDaddy has is a new 60 day hold on a push. And now I'm being told it is the same at Epik. That's the end of my experiment with Epik (:

You should create your own registrar, I think!

•••
You should create your own registrar, I think!

I don't think so. There are a some registrars like that. And many who also are not like that. Even Epik are conflicted. They insist it's their policy, but only the first 60 days after registration are mandatory. There seem to be unmandatory rules for 2 other kinds of 60 day locks, that they seem to be able to introduce, at will. But I am not an expert with how they use them. So I'll leave it to them to explain them.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think so. There are a some registrars like that. And many who also are not like that. Even Epik are conflicted. They insist it's their policy, but only the first 60 days after registration are mandatory. There seem to be unmandatory rules for 2 other kinds of 60 day locks, that they seem to be able to introduce, at will. But I am not an expert with how they use them. So I'll leave it to them to explain them.

Epik didn't set the rules, ICANN did. I remember a domain name I backordered at Namejet, which end up in my enom account.It was locked and I couldn't transfer out. I requested for a waiver but I got none lol. I can't blame these registrar for abiding by a rule they didn't set.

I feel you should channel this to ICANN.

•••
Epik didn't set the rules, ICANN did. I remember a domain name I backordered at Namejet, which end up in my enom account.It was locked and I couldn't transfer out. I requested for a waiver but I got none lol.

You're talking about a backordered domain.

From my understanding, if a backordered domain is a new registration, there is a mandatory 60 registration lock.

What @stub is talking about isn't a backordered domain. It was a purchase from a nP member (regarding a domain older than 60 days), that simply required a domain push from one epik account to another epik account. Of which was, the lock was apparently eventually waived after Mr. Robs intervention.

Maybe you should create your own registrar? 🤣

Last edited:
•••

From my understanding, if a backordered domain is a new registration, there is a mandatory 60 registration lock.

What @stub is talking about isn't a backordered domain. It was a purchase from a nP member (regarding a domain older than 60 days), that simply required a domain push from one epik account to another epik account. Of which was, the lock was apparently eventually waived after Mr. Robs intervention.

That is correct. I think from other posts in this thread that there are another 2 types of 60 day locks which don't have any specific names, and were only just recently introduced in the last few months. This is from hearsay evidence posted here. So don't jump all over me for saying these things.

I'm satisfied with the treatment I got, and thank @Rob Monster, for his intervention, after all possible avenues I'd tried had failed. Actually. I think Rob was the only person who actually looked at my case in any detail. Other high level staff just quoted verbatum the rules. I don't think they ever even looked at the domain or why it was locked. They just repeated the rule I was asking relief from (60 day lock), abruptly. No explanation. Not very helpful. At all.

Last edited:
•••
I personally think all 3 of these 60 day locks should be given different names, and clearly elucidating what they all are for, and how to appeal them.

•••
60 day locks:
60 day new registration lock*
60 day domain push lock**
60 day domain transfer lock*
60 day whois change lock**

* - have to wait !
** - possible don't have to wait ?

•••

Maybe you should create your own registrar? 🤣

Nope, this was an expired auction. I may have used the wrong wording. It was not a freshly dropped domain name but expired.

I had to wait for 2 months to have it transfer and sold!

•••
Nope, this was an expired auction. I may have used the wrong wording. It was not a freshly dropped domain name but expired.

I had to wait for 2 months to have it transfer and sold!

Did it retain it's original registration date or was it a new registration? I'm assuming the former.

Last edited:
•••
Epik didn't set the rules, ICANN did. I remember a domain name I backordered at Namejet, which end up in my enom account.It was locked and I couldn't transfer out. I requested for a waiver but I got none lol. I can't blame these registrar for abiding by a rule they didn't set.

I feel you should channel this to ICANN.

The NameJet hold for Enom domains is not ICANN related.

If a Pre-Release domain name is supplied by eNom, upon receipt of your auction payment the domain enters an Escrow Holding Period known as Auction Lock. This holding period lasts for approximately 45 days following the completion of the auction. During this period, the domain cannot be transferred, nor can you push the domain to another account. You can make updates to the domain, such as changing DNS, updating host records or making WHOIS changes at any time during the Auction Lock timeframe.

The ICANN (60) day lock only applies in the following (2) situations -

1.) The domain was registered in the last (60) days.
2.) The domain was transferred to a new registrar in the last (60) days.

Those are it. Any additional lock is imposed at the registrar or registry level.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

I have seen some Epik supporters attack GoDaddy for their internal locking policies.

With that said, I did purchase a domain from an owner that was subject to this lock recently, and after they contacted Rob the lock was removed.

Brad

•••
Idk but this seems odd to me. I remember before I started holding my domains at Epik I bought a name here that was an Epik push. I didn't have an account at that time so I created one got the push and was immediately able to transfer it out withing minutes of both receiving it and creating my account even. I didn't even have to verify my account or ask for the lock to be waived...

Sometime later when I was just starting to actually give Epik a try I transfered in a few domains, about a month later sold one and had to provide auth code. That was locked from being transferred in but a quick email got that removed. And as I recall I had not even had my account verified when that happened. I have since transfered in the rest of my domains and verified my Epik account. The only names I have outside of Epik are ties up in locks at another registrar where I had received the domain.

That said I personally abhor the 60 day lock but understand the legitimate risks of not having that. Which is why I like the idea of automatically not enforcing it for known verified customers. Not sure that Epik is quite there, i still get 60 day locks on names I get from NameLiquidate or their marketplace even with my Epik account verified. But hey I know I can always get that lifted as needed.

I have always found Epik support to be responsive and helpful. Are they perfect no, but I find i have problems with Epik support about as often as I get good support at another, let's just say much larger registrar and leave it at that.

Finally, Epik is the only registrar where I actually have the direct contact info for the CEO so if need be I can just email Rob and get things sorted out.

Moral of the story is I always feel I get VIP treatment with Epik, in spite of having less than 200 domains with them. As far as I'm concerned thats how any company in any industry should work, treat all your customers like VIPs they'll never want to leave...I know I don't.

Last edited:
•••
So, no, we don't enforce arbitrary locks and will almost always remove them upon request, but I believe that is the reason why the 60-day cooling off period exists.
Using support chat, I requested a removal only 5 days before the 60 day lock on a transferred-in domain because I sold it. Chat rep said I'd get an answer most likely same day after needing to tun it by the "team". I also sent an email to support@epik.

I started another chat session the next day when no word came. Chat rep initially said they couldn't find the previous ticket and began opening another ticket. When pressed - rep finally found the ticket I made the previous day and said it was denied.

I also sent a pm to you on NP with no response. No response also from emailing support.

If my scenerio can't get an unlock can you describe some examples that can?

•••
What is final conclusion of this thread ?

Can any tell in one word.. ??

Yes or no

Last edited:
•••
•••
I requested a removal only 5 days before the 60 day lock on a transferred-in domain because I sold it.
If you mean transferred in from another registrar then ICANN requires 60 days. Epik can't override that. But if you received a push from another Epik user, that should be something they could remove.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back