IT.COM

Selling Epik and #1 SSL CA Sectigo (formerly Comodo SSL) partner. DNEncrypt to be Intermediate CA.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

INFJ

I.T. Infrastructure EngineerTop Member
Impact
Great news everyone!

Yesterday, Epik entered into a 2 year operating agreement with SSL market leader Sectigo (formerly Comodo SSL) to become an intermediate certificate authority to issue SSL certificates across all brands of Epik Holdings, Inc.

This will allow all sites in the SSL lander network to be equipped with Domain Validated (DV), Extended Validated (EV) or Organization Validated (OV) certificates instead of the current LetsEncrypt certificates.

This is important because we don't know for how much longer LetEncrypt will allow the creation of bulk SSL certificates to produce SSLs for free at will, even for organizations with lots of IPv4's as we have.

We also don't know whether major search engines will start to view LetsEncrypt certificates as being less compelling as an authority signal versus a paid cert.

More announcements coming, but for now, this give us a 2 year window to become a full Root CA while delivering on the vision for DNEncrypt as an alternative to LetsEncrypt.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tin Nguyen

@Rob Monster

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rob Monster is there any formal press release?

There is no formal press release yet however, I can confirm that the agreement was executed on Friday. The legal entity DNEncrypt, Inc was filed with WA SOS on Friday. Tin advised on the deal with Sectigo.

•••
It's funny someone disliked if you made an official press release @Rob

Oh ok I just asked because I would have written about it, apparently one of your supporters didn't like that.

I think Samer might have misread your comment. :) There was not anything in your comment to dislike.

As for your question, it is fine to write about it. I would probably write about in the context of the broader ecosystem of products that is unfolding to deliver a more resilient and decentralized internet.

This was hinted at here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/hi...ct-managers-and-executive-leadership.1162639/

Some important pieces are falling into place. I believe we are now the only company in the world that has assembled the full stack:

- Registry management
- Registrar
- Hosting
- SSL Certificate Authority
- Content Delivery Network
- Denial of Service Mitigator
- IPv4 and IPv6 owner (RIPE member)
- BGP and ASN operator
- VPN provider

The SSL project completes the stack. We can deliver end to end encryption to the edge of the network.

The last big foundation piece we are working on is the so-called Toki server. Here is a very rough demo:

https://us.tv/videos/watch/970e088e-758d-40cc-b56a-45dee8614a0f

It is a $50 server running a proprietary Linux distro that can provide ~500 people with an Internet connection and can run up to 24 hours on a $20 battery for a server that is a little bigger than a deck of cards.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats. That's quite the accomplishment.

Just wondering why you think let's encrypt is going away at some point? It's more popular than ever and last time I checked there are no signals suggesting they will stop being free.

On the contrary, they have actually been implementing more features (wildcards etc). I get Epik an subsidiaries want to be sovereign but this comes across a bit negative about let's encrypt. They are actually a major game changer when it comes to SSL.

In case not aware, LetsEncrypt throttles production. Right now, that throttle is a relatively generous 300 SSLs every 3 hours for every unique IP for a maximum length of 90 days. This is described in the published rate limits for the ACME API and are subject to change:

https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

Now, with a /22 IPv4 you get 1022 usable IPs. So, theoretically someone with a /22 could produce more than 2 million unique SSLs per day. Now, let's suppose a bunch of clever folks decided to do that for domains and subdomains, pretty soon you would have a crap load of free SSLs out there and all of a sudden LetsEncrypt is the market leader in SSL/TLS. It has probably already been done with subdomains.

Officially, in market share reports, I don't see LetsEncrypt being counted as reports show Sectigo as the overwhelming market leader My sense is that what Sectigo sees in this partnership is allowing free 90-day certs to be issued makes a clear path to upgrading to higher end certs as the digital brands transition from landers to sites. This is a classic "Point of entry" strategy for Sectigo. DNEncrypt can help there. Win-win.

Right now, LetsEncrypt allows anyone to issue certs. There is basically zero vetting or curating. Why should browsers trust it when it puts thugs and crooks are on the same level as honorable site operators? At some point, LE can systematically begin banning domains. Who decides? Not sure. If national governments can turn off the internet, can those governments pressure LE to block certs for those countries? Possibly.

There is a good discussion here:

https://www.datamation.com/security/lets-encrypt-the-good-and-the-bad.html

Governance is also a really important question. If .ORG can be acquired by Ethos, I think safe to say that in the digital theater anything can happen just as Oracle bought MySQL.

Specific to Change of Control, from what I can tell, it is extremely hard to find a copy of the articles of incorporation for the parent entity. I will pay $100 in Epik account credit to the first person who can find a copy of their Articles of Incorporation for Internet Security Research Group. As near as I can gather, you may have to go visit them at 1 Letterman Drive in San Francisco to get it! Transparency anyone?

The final notable thing that our engineers recognized is that there will be some important challenges in the network architecture for Toki servers going forward where we might have a very large number of decentralized Toki servers, e.g. 1 million Toki servers in a few years from now. Each one has to maintain end-to-end encryption with no risk of man in the middle attacks, even if no VPN is installed on the client.

As you can see, there is some logic to why we felt it wise to vertically integrate this competency in order to complete the stack. This arrangement gives us 2 year window to do it well, while navigating the decision on how to become a Root CA. I am happy with it and think Sectigo is too.

•••
I agree. It depends. Using an icon can do wonders for brand recognition whereas a typography based logo could be really strong. But you know, it depends on the branding, vision, message you want to convey, etc. Lots to factor in, like some of the fine examples you stated.

Comodo is a fine example as well. Their custom typeface is what I remember. The icon not so much. Not bad but not really special either. Now the (new) sectigo icon is better. I like it, it's simple, but I take issues with their brand. It's not all bad but for some reason I keep mistaking it for sertigo/certigo. sertigo still available at regfee for some reason. Say certigo, sectigo sertigo and repeat that a couple of times. Do you still recall what the right brandname is? I'd secure it for brand protection, no questions asked.

Back to DNE. I'm not a fan of the name to start with, I don't like the flow of it as it is pronounced with two consecutive /e/ /n/ sounds. It kinds breaks up the name if you get what I'm saying. The DN part is something I don't understand at all. It's not on point with the product. DNE is not just websites/domains, it's an intermediate CA. Securing HTTP with SSL is at core just a small part of this.

Even if you wouldn't link the DN abbreviation to domains (I reckon non domainers won't that easily), what is the brand here (as shown in the logotype)? Is it an abbreviation (DNE) followed by ncrypt? It would make sense if you used DNE all in caps, and ncrypt would work as alternative spelling for encrypt. But that way the abbreviation wont make sense. Still... It may be nitpicking but this is something you should really tackle right away when you establish a brandname. It's a weaker choice but it is what it is... imo.

As for the proposed logos visually. Most of them are unbalanced, weird kerning and tracking. Basically way too generic. I like A6 somewhat but I dont think the icon is that well done or really holds some meaning, I'm with you on that. And yeah, don't try too hard.

On the brightside... look at what most of the competition is using. They must have let the intern create it or it must have been a monday morning of friday afternoon design job :).

Just my opinion, the project itself is actually pretty cool :)

Yes, good points.

As for the name, that ship did sail. At the time we had just named DNProtect.com for an upcoming domain risk-scoring and insurance product. So, the DNEncrypt brand seemed like a logical brand extension. A few weeks later @Tin Nguyen came on board as Product Manager.

@Ala Dadan and @Tin Nguyen are chipping away at the site but the real work is in standing up the API provisioning software for issuing SSL at scale with secure key management. We have more than 200,000 SSL-secured domains live now. Lets Encrypt has issued about 850 million certs.

Keep in mind that DNEncrypt started out as a bootstrap project to explore becoming a Root CA. We then completed a multi-year deal with Sectigo and now here we are: a few weeks from releasing (unleashing?) an alternative to LetsEncrypt using commercial DA certs that can be issued at scale.

When it comes to challenging LetsEncrypt, useful read here:

https://medium.com/swlh/why-lets-encrypt-is-a-really-really-really-bad-idea-d69308887801

It is interesting to see people beginning to talk about the downside of LetsEncrypt. I think the real downside is that we don't actually know who owns it or governs it. That seems to be a black box.

When it comes to things like whether, how, and under what conditions data gets routed, ownership and governance matters a lot.

Now think for a moment about all the pour souls who tried Ashley Madison, and then one day, oopsie, the member rosters were leaked. Some went so far as to call it a honeypot.

So, one day imagine we wake up to discover that LetsEncrypt's keys were compromised. Oopsie-daisy. It was all free so any losses that anyone would incur would be without protection.

The ToS of LetsEncrypt are worth a read. Basically if there is an oopsie, well, sucks to be you. '

See if you can download the full PDF of the current ToS from their website. It should be easy. It is not but you can piece it together from other documents on their site. You will find segments like this:

upload_2019-12-14_17-45-49.png

To be fair, if you paid nothing, you probably should not expect much in terms of legal protection. On the other hand, consider the possibility that LE was all just a giant setup for the eventual oopsie.

As I see it, right now there appear to be a lot of fragile eggs in someone's basket. If that one single encryption key suddenly is compromised, there are a lot of drippy bags.

Does it sound far-fetched that LetsEncrypt would already have encryption backdoors or that the key could one day be compromised? No, not really. See here:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/27/trump-officials-weigh-encryption-crackdown-1385306

Just as "law enforcement" wants a backdoor for WHOIS RDAP to pierce the privacy veil at will, it would be not crazy to assume that similar organizations expect the same for (free) SSL/TLS.

Just as Epik WHOIS privacy being real for law-abiding entities, I believe the goal with DNEncrypt should also be real encryption for law-abiding entities.

As for the obvious case of a domain that breaks the law, I believe our policy should be simply to block those domains from being able to use the SSL issuance service. We'll see how that goes.

The SSL/TLS area is pretty fascinating. I am glad we initiated exploratory work in this area of the internet delivery value chain. There might be more here than I expected to find.

Last edited:
•••
Free SSL here:

https://dnencrypt.com/

Commercial DV certs. Working on bulk provisioning but for folks who need a few, try it out.

•••
Hi @NameDeck,

Thanks for your comment and input. To clarify, we do not believe LetsEncrypt is going away and I agree that they're only gaining in popularity and sponsors, rather Epik's reliance on LetsEncrypt is being phased out.

@tonyk2000

Thank you for the information and input. Our Sub-CA (Intermediate) technically belongs to Sectigo (formerly Comodo SSL) and as such, Sectigo needs to meet the strict standards and audit requirements. Sectigo is WebTrust certified, and in order to maintain compliance, they are required to undergo a program of continuous scrutiny with formal reviews at least once every 6 (six) months.

Last edited:
•••
For anyone interested, here is a good primer on TLS by Eric Rescorla, co-founder of LetsEncrypt:

Since he talks fast, some people seem to like the idea of watching it at 0.75X. :)

•••
So how is this a bad thing? I know for your usecase you'd like to be as independent as you can possibly get but how would using Sectigo be any different? If I'm not mistaking they can be concidered the marketleader so wouldn't that leave you vulnarable to the same thing? Also, they're owned by an equity firm so... don't need to explain my concerns about that.

As for ratelimiting, its's even worse actually. You can use it with ipv6 so the number of ips you can use to request certs from are 'limitless'.

Do I understand correctly that you think that sectigo expect that people will upgrade their DV certs used for landers to EV certs lateron? Or is that your projection? I think that's the only part where DNEncrypt could make a real difference. Affordable/free EV certificates. Integration for Toki is cool though. I love that project.

But, how is allowing anyone to generate a cert a bad thing? Its the encryption that matters and they are audited by Webtrust just the same, following set industry standards. I wouldn't say theres no vetting or curating.

I don't buy into that article you linked. It's all whatif/then/else/or... hearsay. The same 'security issues' can be attributed to any CA.

I think this is where the real win is for you. To be clear, I'm not trying to attack you but merely engaged as the content of the post from OP doesn't do justice to the huge accomplishment of LetsEncrypt.

Now what I'm really curious about is will you be looking into offering affordable/free EV certs? I think that could disrupt the market even more and be a real gamechanger. Securitywise.

Thanks @NameDeck

Comments:

- As an intermediate CA, we are still holding keys. Sectigo holds the master signing key but we will hold the keys for the certs we issue. The engineering work for doing that very securely is in progress. The guys we have responsible for it know what they are doing.

- Decent chart here comparing DVs:

upload_2019-11-24_10-8-56.png

We are issuing a Commercial DV with some added overlay of vetting, i.e. where some certs don't get issued in order to earn trust. As to how many upgrade from our free DN Encrypt DV to a paid Cert, we'll see but since we have an entire value chain to upsell, the SSL is a viable point of entry.

- As for EVs, we secured wholesale pricing for EVs, and other premium certificates. We'll see what we can do there to be as competitive as possible. I am not aspiring for a race to the bottom but am comfortable with the idea of passing through savings.

- I want to explore introducing a Forever Cert, just as we have Forever domains. There will be a discussion with Sectigo about that one. A lot of people innovate around "Free" or "Unlimited" but I personally like "Forever". We did the same with cloud storage with Armored.net.

Thanks for all the awesome input!

•••
When does Toki officially launch? I tried Black Friday and got 20 results for Namepros on page 1, don't think shoppers are looking for a domain forum, why is that there? The site is basically telling me to use DuckDuckGo. There is still tweaking that needs to be done?

A bit off topic but will comment on Toki:

- It is live as a public beta. It is getting some steady improvements.

- You can set and save your search preferences here: https://toki.com/preferences . Click the engines tab. NamePros is one of the engines enabled by default.

- The big focus now is finishing the Toki server -- a decentralized Linux server that can be deployed for under $100 to anywhere in the world and can provide an internet onramp to many. It is looking good.

You can expect some AI in Toki in due course. The intent is for it to evolve into a highly private transactional smart agent for content, community and commerce. If we do it right, it should improve your life!

•••
A6 only

People are soft-memo at elaborating and recalling the specific features of the logo. The outlines must be strong (secure) and from the inside, capable of associating with me (key, similar)... from the perspective of an end user. The colors used for the "secure" logos is not in the line of peoples perception ("security" blue, "secure" green).

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Same.

I'm no branding guru, but as I look at the options I'm led to ask, is an icon necessary? Epik doesn't have one. Comodo doesn't have one. We can all think of other examples. I understand the value of such graphics when they serve a clear purpose. Pepsi has a prominent logo on their cans that are as much as an advertisement to others as they are a means by which consumers can easily find their products on shelves. When you hold a Pepsi can, you let others know you are a Pepsi drinker, not a Coke drinker; there are subtle messages conveyed by the logo, both to the consumer and by the consumer. Graphics are valuable additions to logos when they add to the brand's perceived quality, or tell a story about the brand that isn't inherently provided in the name of the brand alone. I don't see any value in adding a graphic to DN Encrypt. It's redundant to place a lock icon next to the word Encrypt. To do so makes it look like you're trying too hard to sell it. A nice firm font-driven logo, like Comodo's, would suit the brand best imo.

I've been trying to really nail what I'm trying to convey. I think this is it:

DN Encrypt is serious business, not some off-the-shelf consumer good. You want to convey that you take yourself seriously. Let the quality of your product, alone, be what speaks to the quality of the brand, not some pretty image. SSL is serious business. Look serious.

•••
Last edited:
•••
For more context on why it is interesting to be pursuing projects that increase resiliency in the full Internet stack while decentralizing more functionality, this is a decent read:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...rnet-censorship-hangs-over-hong-kong-protests

There are a lot of of innovative projects happening to increase resiliency. The Epik approach preserves the domain name as being the addressing system versus Blockchain that sends domains to the scrap heap.

•••
Great job, Tin. This is big.

I don't believe LetsEncrypt will ever lose it's validity but Epik's use case certainly warrants this. Frankly, the industry needs more CAs.

find a copy of their Articles of Incorporation for Internet Security Research Group

All Articles are public record and can be found by searching Google for "_state_ business entity database". They will not always list them by name, you will see a list of business documents, select the oldest date and it should be their Articles.

ARTS-PB, Internet Security Research Group
https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF?Id=03569614-16391090

•••
Cool, that's a good move Epik

•••
Thanks @NameDeck

Comments:

- As an intermediate CA, we are still holding keys. Sectigo holds the master signing key but we will hold the keys for the certs we issue. The engineering work for doing that very securely is in progress. The guys we have responsible for it know what they are doing.

- Decent chart here comparing DVs:

Show attachment 136928

We are issuing a Commercial DV with some added overlay of vetting, i.e. where some certs don't get issued in order to earn trust. As to how many upgrade from our free DN Encrypt DV to a paid Cert, we'll see but since we have an entire value chain to upsell, the SSL is a viable point of entry.

- As for EVs, we secured wholesale pricing for EVs, and other premium certificates. We'll see what we can do there to be as competitive as possible. I am not aspiring for a race to the bottom but am comfortable with the idea of passing through savings.

- I want to explore introducing a Forever Cert, just as we have Forever domains. There will be a discussion with Sectigo about that one. A lot of people innovate around "Free" or "Unlimited" but I personally like "Forever". We did the same with cloud storage with Armored.net.

Thanks for all the awesome input!
Love the idea if innovating around "Forever" instead of "Free."

I can't be the only one in the world who questions intent and consequences when I see the word "Free."

•••
Honestly, I don't like any of them.

Same.

I'm no branding guru, but as I look at the options I'm led to ask, is an icon necessary? Epik doesn't have one. Comodo doesn't have one. We can all think of other examples. I understand the value of such graphics when they serve a clear purpose. Pepsi has a prominent logo on their cans that are as much as an advertisement to others as they are a means by which consumers can easily find their products on shelves. When you hold a Pepsi can, you let others know you are a Pepsi drinker, not a Coke drinker; there are subtle messages conveyed by the logo, both to the consumer and by the consumer. Graphics are valuable additions to logos when they add to the brand's perceived quality, or tell a story about the brand that isn't inherently provided in the name of the brand alone. I don't see any value in adding a graphic to DN Encrypt. It's redundant to place a lock icon next to the word Encrypt. To do so makes it look like you're trying too hard to sell it. A nice firm font-driven logo, like Comodo's, would suit the brand best imo.

•••
Same.

I agree. It depends. Using an icon can do wonders for brand recognition whereas a typography based logo could be really strong. But you know, it depends on the branding, vision, message you want to convey, etc. Lots to factor in, like some of the fine examples you stated.

Comodo is a fine example as well. Their custom typeface is what I remember. The icon not so much. Not bad but not really special either. Now the (new) sectigo icon is better. I like it, it's simple, but I take issues with their brand. It's not all bad but for some reason I keep mistaking it for sertigo/certigo. sertigo still available at regfee for some reason. Say certigo, sectigo sertigo and repeat that a couple of times. Do you still recall what the right brandname is? I'd secure it for brand protection, no questions asked.

Back to DNE. I'm not a fan of the name to start with, I don't like the flow of it as it is pronounced with two consecutive /e/ /n/ sounds. It kinds breaks up the name if you get what I'm saying. The DN part is something I don't understand at all. It's not on point with the product. DNE is not just websites/domains, it's an intermediate CA. Securing HTTP with SSL is at core just a small part of this.

Even if you wouldn't link the DN abbreviation to domains (I reckon non domainers won't that easily), what is the brand here (as shown in the logotype)? Is it an abbreviation (DNE) followed by ncrypt? It would make sense if you used DNE all in caps, and ncrypt would work as alternative spelling for encrypt. But that way the abbreviation wont make sense. Still... It may be nitpicking but this is something you should really tackle right away when you establish a brandname. It's a weaker choice but it is what it is... imo.

As for the proposed logos visually. Most of them are unbalanced, weird kerning and tracking. Basically way too generic. I like A6 somewhat but I dont think the icon is that well done or really holds some meaning, I'm with you on that. And yeah, don't try too hard.

On the brightside... look at what most of the competition is using. They must have let the intern create it or it must have been a monday morning of friday afternoon design job :).

Just my opinion, the project itself is actually pretty cool :)

•••
It is what is :) but a very Good points @NameDeck
btw. Sectigo logo / symbol contains C [upper part] (for Comodo) , followed by cut off D (secureD), forming a free style Letter S. (Comodo)secureD by Sectigo

Regards

•••
After the problem has been identified by @NameDeck and @Bernard Wright , it is important to fully define a strategy to solve the problem :) Let's start with the basic :)

dnencrypt.jpg

•••
@Rob Monster

As always, thank you for your elaborate respons.

Regarding DNEncrypt, I agree. It is what it is. Projects evolve continuously and It's nice to see it taking shape through an organic process. I didn't realise the certification went live already, congrats. As for branding etc, a great product sells itself, everything else is dressup and the possibility of a rebrand sometimes actually works as it can give you extra press exposure in the future ;).

I think you know my stance on Letsencrypt. It's a good thing more people are starting to look into the downside of using Letsencrypt, I 100% agree. All major çompanies (or foundations for that matter) that hold a 'monopoly' in a certain area should be watched closely. That TOS issue is somewhat problematic (could be more transparent). For people who are interested, spend some time reading their repository. Most you'll want to know is there.

Interesting concept. Do you know if this is done so already by other CAs? I'm pretty sure non secure connections will be blocked by a lot of services in the near future. It will most definitely work.

However, one of my concerns is that eventually this will lower the bar for issuers to silence free speech at their sole discretion. Not sure how I feel about it yet but worth it to explore. Fascinating indeed!

The legal entity DNEncrypt, Inc is formed. The intermediate root certificate order has been submitted. That approval process apparently takes weeks.

The Subca is for both RSA and ECC as follows:

DNEncrypt SHA2 Domain Secure Site CA - DV

DNEncrypt SHA2 Business Secure Site CA - OV

DNEncrypt SHA2 Extended Validation Secure Site CA - EV

DNEncrypt ECC Domain Secure Site CA - DV

DNEncrypt ECC Business Secure Site CA - OV

DNEncrypt ECC Extended Validation Secure Site CA - EV

A rebrand would cost quite a bit at this point so we'll proceed with the name and tinker around the aesthetic edges while focusing on the user experience for single cert and bulk API provisioning.

The nitty-gritty of who has access to the private key will be managed by trusted security engineers whose identities will be known to me but will not be openly discussed in forums. I won't have access to it.

The free version will be 90 day certs. The paid versions will be up to 2 years. I expect we'll introduce a Forever option where we manage the re-issuance process.

•••
You'll need to offer some automation tools then, such as directadmin / cpanel / whatever addons. It is hard to imagine a webmaster doing manual ssl installation 4 times a year...

Yup, and on Epik-hosted sites, that will be easy.

For non-Epik sites, we are looking at introducing an ACME-style provisioning API. Sectigo has given us a lot to work with so this is just more for the API library:

https://docs.userapi.epik.com/v2/

Also, check out this sneak preview:

https://cloudchase.com/

It is Epik's answer to AWS and Azure. OpenStack hosting powered by Epik.

You will be seeing some bundling of tech elements like few have seen elsewhere.

The pieces are falling into place.

•••
Great news everyone!

Yesterday, Epik entered into a 2 year operating agreement with SSL market leader Sectigo (formerly Comodo SSL) to become an intermediate certificate authority to issue SSL certificates across all brands of Epik Holdings, Inc.

This will allow all sites in the SSL lander network to be equipped with Domain Validated (DV), Extended Validated (EV) or Organization Validated (OV) certificates instead of the current LetsEncrypt certificates.

This is important because we don't know for how much longer LetEncrypt will allow the creation of bulk SSL certificates to produce SSLs for free at will, even for organizations with lots of IPv4's as we have.

We also don't know whether major search engines will start to view LetsEncrypt certificates as being less compelling as an authority signal versus a paid cert.

More announcements coming, but for now, this give us a 2 year window to become a full Root CA while delivering on the vision for DNEncrypt as an alternative to LetsEncrypt.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tin Nguyen

@Rob Monster

Congrats. That's quite the accomplishment.

Just wondering why you think let's encrypt is going away at some point? It's more popular than ever and last time I checked there are no signals suggesting they will stop being free.

On the contrary, they have actually been implementing more features (wildcards etc). I get Epik an subsidiaries want to be sovereign but this comes across a bit negative about let's encrypt. They are actually a major game changer when it comes to SSL.

•••
Great job, Tin. This is big.

I don't believe LetsEncrypt will ever lose it's validity but Epik's use case certainly warrants this. Frankly, the industry needs more CAs.

All Articles are public record and can be found by searching Google for "_state_ business entity database". They will not always list them by name, you will see a list of business documents, select the oldest date and it should be their Articles.

ARTS-PB, Internet Security Research Group
https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF?Id=03569614-16391090

Yes, did that and also went to the CA SOS site, which includes some periodic updates. What you found there is a cover sheet with a single paragraph amendment. The full Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws of the Corporation seem extremely hard to find on any public site, which is interesting since they are incorporated as a California Public Benefit Corporation.

On the California SOS website, you get only this:

upload_2019-11-24_7-48-8.png

I am no expert on Public Benefit Corporations, but I believe they are required to file some additional disclosures including Public Benefit Reports.

It is super-cool that they have issued more than 800 million SSLs:

upload_2019-11-24_7-53-47.png

Question is: Cui bono?

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back