IT.COM

advice Enduser payment options

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tomzilla

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
What to do with endusers who are willing to buy the domain name but don't have a PayPal account and seem unwilling make one, they also never heard of Escrow.com and don't really seem to be willing to make an account there either, also never heard of any domain marketplace too.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If they're a trusted buyer, I'd transfer the domain and just let them wire it. If it's a high enough price and they're not willing to use an escrow, move on, it's probably a fake offer.

•••
This is a tough situation, though I can sympathize completely. Sometimes the logistics of the deal are what can cause it to fall apart, rather than the costs. You can setup some pretty versatile payment options through Stripe if you have an account. This has helped once previously for myself.

•••
You do not have to create a PayPal to use it. They can pay as a guest with a credit card. But BEWARE, they can also do a charge back with their credit card company. So it would depend on the selling price of the domain. If it is enough to keep me awake at night if I lost it, then I would move on. If they are not willing to do Escrow and not willing to do PayPal they probably wont be willing to do any of the other options either. Doesn't sound like someone I would want to do business with.

•••
PayPal should be the norm in trading online as it's the easiest payment option to use everyone can set one up. There are people who might not want to use PayPal, so the other option would be Escrow but the 25$ fee could be a problem if the sale price is low.

I had a deal on Namepros for a domain name that I was going to purchase but the person only wanted to deal with Bitcoin which to be honest have no clue how to setup or even start using it even though I tried to learn about it. Even with the deals that I have done and paid straight away with PayPal that person just wanted to use Bitcoin. Strange but he lost my business so it's okay.

•••
Bank wire, Escrow, cashier check, cash...a lot has to do with the sale price.

•••
PayPal is rubbish with a 6 month confirmation time. The sooner it dies, the better. It's riddled with fraud, and I think anyone is mad to use it. There are so many other options.

Bank transfer if you are in the same country
Bitcoin
Payoneer
Neteller
Moneybookers
PayM
NameSilo transfer
Sedo

and that is just a few that spring to mind.

•••
PayPal is rubbish with a 6 month confirmation time.

I have used PayPal for 13 years without a problem. Keep a good paper trail plus before and after whois screenshots and you should not have a problem. My account is a business and every time I have called Support for Business accounts, I have receive great support. Plus PayPal is recognized by the majority of end users.

I have never heard of Neteller, Moneybookers or PayM. As a buyer, if you insisted on using one of those, i would probably pass

•••
I had a 2 year battle with PayPal, they even set the debt collectors on to me, and refused to validate their claim, Some years ago, they had to pay $600million for the misuse of clients funds, and that is why they moved out of America. You only need to read the domainers boards to see that many fraudsters use PayPal. For me, if anyone said they wanted to pay by PP only, then I would assume they were a scammer, and close the communication. Just because you haven't had a problem, it doesn't mean that tomorrow you can't join the tens of thousands who have.

•••
Tell them to send a cheque and when it clears you will release the domain.

Easy... I have done that before.

•••
it doesn't mean that tomorrow you can't join the tens of thousands who have.
That's true. But look at the auctions on NPs Almost everyone asks for PayPal. If I were selling a domain for $x,xxx and we agree on a price, I ask for information so that I can check the individual. I always ask for phone number, address and a real email address (not hotmail or yahoo) and a scan of your address with a Bank Account heading, anything that proves you are who you say you are. I do as thorough a background check as possible. If they don't pass, they can bring me cash. If I sell on NPs for $2. I don't worry about it. There are "fraudsters" everywhere and you can be taken using any system. It's up to you to use due diligence.

•••
It's down to personal choice. People whinge about needing 3 confirmations on Bitcoin, and the fact that that can take 20 or 30 minutes, and yet they accept PayPal, and a payment there isn't final for 6 months. I weon't wait 6 months to confirm a payment, and a domain name buyer wouldn't wait 6 months for the transfer. To me, a request to pay vis PayPal is a red light for fraud, and I'll walk away if that is the only option. I uninstalled a software package because the author would only accept PayPal. My point is that you should have multiple payment options, and that you should treat PP with extreme caution. There is too much of a history of fraud and misuse of funds for me to consider ever using it again.

•••
I'll walk away if that is the only option

Me too. Joined pypal just after transition from x, with them until 2004. Many hundreds of successful transactions but far too many negative experiences as a payee. As a payer I might use them again one day, but for ten plus years I haven't missed or used them.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back