IT.COM

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The topic is interesting, I didn't know about emoji-based domains and the fact they can be registered and used.

Problem I see here is that they are visual objects, objects of subjective perception. You can identify textual name at a glance but read emoji in different ways, imo

edit: tried to paste some examples but it didn't work :(

Last edited:
•••
The names look really bad when rendered in characters like this is what you register for Money emoji and smiley face emoji xn--xs8hkv.ws
Fun to check out but it will take some iteration to pull this off.

•••
I put the poop one in the address bar alongside with the .ws. A site did resolve, just one word "woot" But it was a bit of trouble getting there, cut and pasting from another site to get the emoji

•••
I wonder what "chips" would be out there.

[think out loud mode ON]
what if an emoji domain name (part that goes after xn--) has a meaning in Pinyin...

•••
•••
Interesting that I was able to use IMG_4604.JPGFor URL forwarding to my photography site @ twitter, not so lucky with my Instagram.
IMG_4625.PNG

•••
Out of curiosity I went thru a fair number of single emojis and only 1 was available and it wasn't technically an emoji but a symbol. Didn't take it (yet.) Still on the fence but it would be cool to have 1 I suppose.

•••
I've registered a few but I'm not going to go crazy. I like the idea of emoji domains, though. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

•••
edit: tried to paste some examples but it didn't work :(
@Paul Buonopane The classic "symbol" emojis are allowed in posts, what about the newer crop? ie, anything xn--123 is ok, but once you get to the 4 character xn--1234, it is currently impossible, and we have to use image hosting. Technically since they are part of the Unicode Standard, can we ever anticipate them being integrated here?

•••
•••
Erwin.photography is better.

•••
We just need 2 simple things...
1) all keyboards on desktops to support emojis
2) all browsers to support showing the emoji in the URL
Is that too much to ask?

•••
•••
I do think that eventually all browsers and desktops will support emoji, just look at the amount that emoji is being used by the younger generation, on their phones to describe their feelings..

•••
•••
•••
•••
I still remember seeing an eight ball domain listed for sale somewhere years ago, it looked cool but was of no use, these names are only novelty factor .........at the moment

•••
I still remember seeing an eight ball domain listed for sale somewhere years ago, it looked cool but was of no use, these names are only novelty factor .........at the moment
All it takes is a rumor of the Chinese wanting them...then everyone will one want some.
(Someone needs to start a rumor, lol.)

As of right now, I'm $10 in the negatives on emojis. I can afford that loss if it becomes one. (That's including the "credit" that GoDaddy gave me when stealing one emoji the day after I registered it. )

Last edited:
•••
All it takes is a rumor of the Chinese wanting them...then everyone will one want some.
(Someone needs to start a rumor, lol.)

As of right now, I'm $10 in the negatives on emojis. I can afford that loss if it becomes one. (That's including the "credit" that GoDaddy gave me when stealing one emoji the day after I registered it. )
remember the initial offer was discounted, when I type in a name to search at Godaddy it comes back as available and it is priced at $6.99 (i am in Australia) next to the $6.99 it says $50.99 so in other words come renewal time it's gonna cost a lot to play in this game, price does not equal the risk imo, good luck to all

•••
2 questions I have.

1) WIll people visit that domain?
2) How can you monetize it?

Once I can answer those then I might get one. Oh yeah :D

•••
2 questions I have.

Currently the answers are No + No ...... prepare for a long hold but the world is constantly changing

•••
•••
I'll let this ship sail by. No thanks for me...

Last edited:
•••
2 questions I have.

1) I don't see why not. They can be displayed in any web page without a problem. When you think of an of an image.TLD vs characters.TLD displayed on your screen, images are instantly eye-catching.
2)Unless turning a complete blind eye to its horrid little url display, I wouldn't host content on it. Its only monetization would come from a greater click appeal, forwarded to appropriate site, or from its brand/logo appeal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back