Dynadot

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A brief history of emoji domains:
  • 1995: ☃.com
    With incredible foresight, some random dude named Bob registered this domain back before the dotcom registry imposed their draconian crackdown on emoji domains. It is not for sale. I asked.
(https://xn--qeiaa.ws/#tlds)

So someone owns a snow man emoji .COM. That is something else.
Having this type of name for your company; it creates confusion and ZERO seriousness.

•••
Having this type of name for your company; it creates confusion and ZERO seriousness.

A lot of money is made in the ridiculousness industry. Nowadays, probably most money...

•••
"All of the big name top level domains (.com, .org, .co.uk) only allow Latin characters in their domain names.

“Top level domains choose to do this to try and prevent phishing attacks on users,” explained Josh Farrant, a software developer and technology blogger who recently secured the domain .ws.

“Since, for example, there are several different characters which all look like a letter 'a', a malicious website could easily impersonate a genuine site by using one of these characters to try and trick users into giving them their sensitive information,” Farrant told me. To prevent this, top tier domains just flat out refuse non-Latin characters."

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/i-want-that-hair-flip-girl
Yeah, a few bad apples and the whole bunch is ruined. It's too bad. You know, this kind of protection might make sense for alphabetical or numerical-type non-Latin characters. But how anyone could confuse an emoji for a letter is beyond me.

•••
10 years ago if someone told me teachers would no longer be using chalkboards, kids would no longer be using book, but iPads, in school, I would told them to go to hell.

Yes, technology has changed since; and it's true you can get your education via everywhere and via technolgy. Classroom learning will never going to be deleted; specially for kids and teen. And colleges still used class room learning, this because there is some reason for this. Human to human classroom interaction, I found it helpful. Smart Professors still meet students in the class room.

This is very coincidence; ViaDigitalEd= Via Digital education is another way of learning.

•••
Yeah, a few bad apples and the whole bunch is ruined. It's too bad. You know, this kind of protection might make sense for alphabetical or numerical-type non-Latin characters. But how anyone could confuse an emoji for a letter is beyond me.
Emoji symbols and letters are 2 different animals. Pictures can represent many things.
When you answers a school examination, your answers will be these :sick::ahhh::-D:-$?

Last edited:
•••
I need the Chinese to jump on the band wagon. Then everyone will want one. ;)

•••
coke-emoji-hed-2015.jpg

Can't belive 90's emoticons are a trend in 2016...

And this create confusion....

"It worked for me. The actual url is www.emoticoke.com but you can put in a number of different emotis "
"OMG this is sooo dumb. The only place that needs emoji is chat- noting more, nothing less. Even if they're trying to be creative and funny- this is completely dumb and stupid."
"
How are you supposed to do this on a computer without emojis
"

•••
coke-emoji-hed-2015.jpg

Can't belive 90's emoticons are a trend in 2016...

And this create confusion....

"It worked for me. The actual url is www.emoticoke.com but you can put in a number of different emotis "
"OMG this is sooo dumb. The only place that needs emoji is chat- noting more, nothing less. Even if they're trying to be creative and funny- this is completely dumb and stupid."
"
"
It looks very happy; and entertaining. Nothing more.

•••
•••
•••
I picked up a couple...just in case. I am a gambling man, of course.

Yeah dude for sure....I'm gonna grab a few as well.

•••
A brief history of emoji domains:
  • 1995: ☃.com
    With incredible foresight, some random dude named Bob registered this domain back before the dotcom registry imposed their draconian crackdown on emoji domains. It is not for sale. I asked.
(https://xn--qeiaa.ws/#tlds)

So someone owns a snow man emoji .COM. That is something else.
Yes, a domain that will never resolve.Again, bon't waste your money.

•••
Yes, a domain that will never resolve.Again, bon't waste your money.
That domain did resolve when I tried it, btw.

•••
Someone has already made a business out of it (and I'm jealous, although I don't know if they are successful).
http://www.emojiurl.com/

•••
Emojis are doomed for failure. Why? Because they are annoying as F.
BTW, CNET will soon "take over" the internet.

Last edited:
•••
Emojis used to be called emoticons.

remember (L)

•••
That domain did resolve when I tried it, btw.
He meant resolving as it's natural form. Right now it can only resolve to it's punycode form.

•••
"
Your OS should have a built-in screen keyboard. You'll see the emojis keys in there. Can be buggy in some browsers.

•••
I need the Chinese to jump on the band wagon. Then everyone will want one. ;)

Hmmm.... Emoji Chips. ...lol

•••
Nice DNS play at a GoDaddy Hackathon, i really liked the idea but functionality is strictly limited.

Even if recent web browsers support IDN, lot of services especially e-mail ones still not implementing this support.

Also, both web browsers and these services needs to include this emoticons for people to choose, otherwise they can't be written by keyboard.

Last edited:
•••
Finally I can't wait to order my favorite emoji :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

•••
hmm I wonder if you can get on of those stupid Kim Kardashian Emoji's on a .ws domain and I wonder if doing so would count as a TM violation.... (I'm guessing it would)

•••
hmm I wonder if you can get on of those stupid Kim Kardashian Emoji's on a .ws domain and I wonder if doing so would count as a TM violation.... (I'm guessing it would)
Yeah, I was wondering if I could catch her eye with my rose. I just want her money, though. To be honest, I couldn't choose her in a lineup. I have no clue what she looks like.

•••
•••
I wonder what "chips" would be out there.
I was actually digging around yesterday to see if I could find any that could work but ended up getting getting bored and abandoned my search :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back