Dynadot

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The challenges facing emoji domains are that some of the emojis looks alike and that can be used for phishing. For example yiur emoji looks very much like that of coke.
That's definitely one of the problems faced..
You can't describe one of the 9 or so available smiley emoji (only supply people a link)

On another topic, it seems the IMG_4698.JPG has been receiving some attention in the news!
(‿ˠ‿) : ‘Emoji domain’ UDRP filed by Kim Kardashian
I must admit, it's a beautiful fruit!..

•••
You can't describe one of the 9 or so available smiley emoji (only supply people a link)

On another topic, it seems the
60172_869619a33da3c7c3e4938a4679b418d3_thumb.jpg
has been receiving some attention in the news!
I think it is a stupid UDRP case. Besides, Jennifer Lopez is the big butt queen to me. (To be honest, I don't know what Kim KardASSian looks like. I could Google it, but I just don't care.)

Last edited:
•••

On another topic, it seems the
60172_869619a33da3c7c3e4938a4679b418d3_thumb.jpg
has been receiving some attention in the news!
Wow! UDRP taken to a whole new level..surely this won't stick..

What's next, Apple going after red apple emoji.

•••
It is not real, just a joke. If something is real on that website it will say 100% real on the bottom.

•••
Thanks, I did not know this. Got me!
Rarely venture outside NP for domaining news..

You know..doesn't take much for a joke to become reality though..

•••
when I found out that site made the satire posts i was like well that's pretty stupid. but actually i like that website there is a lot of real things and just short articles are kinda fun to read.

•••
•••
ok, I purchased a couple emoji domains about three weeks ago, one is a three character emoji which contains.. a MONEYBAG; BASKETBALL/w HOOP; MUG OF BEER. The other is a two character emoji, which contains a SOCCERBALL; AND A THUMBS-UP. I had a chance to purchased some single characters, but didn't like the ones available too me, I wanted my emoji domains to say something, like make money, play basketball, and drink beer, or soccer yes! I later found out that some characters are used differently, or have a different meaning then what the symbols depicts, such as the thumbs up character in my domain. Emojis are dated, time they hit the air so if you can pickup a short original, say 1; 2; or 3 characters that been around in the early years then imo these are the emoji domains that will increase in value over time. imho multi character emojis should say something as well.

•••
If you're curious what's still available in single character emoji .ws domains, I ran a scan using the tools available at developer.godaddy.com. Took a little while to scan through 1789 emojis and probably isn't 100% accurate -- I may have missed some domains which are available -- but kinda neat, nonetheless.

I guess I haven't earned the right to post links to the forum, but for anyone interested, the file lives here:
slack-files.com/T02BHKTRC-F341ZEZAQ-7ccf87990c

It was generated last evening, 11/16/2016.

I had to look up lots of those characters in emojipedia to try and distinguish between them -- they're mostly variations of skin color of emojis which are otherwise taken, emojis which are hard to enter, and flags of somewhat obscure countries. (No disrespect to St. Vincent & Grenadines.)

•••
If you're curious what's still available in single character emoji .ws domains, I ran a scan using the tools available at developer.godaddy.com. Took a little while to scan through 1789 emojis and probably isn't 100% accurate -- I may have missed some domains which are available -- but kinda neat, nonetheless.

I guess I haven't earned the right to post links to the forum, but for anyone interested, the file lives here:
slack-files.com/T02BHKTRC-F341ZEZAQ-7ccf87990c

It was generated last evening, 11/16/2016.

I had to look up lots of those characters in emojipedia to try and distinguish between them -- they're mostly variations of skin color of emojis which are otherwise taken, emojis which are hard to enter, and flags of somewhat obscure countries. (No disrespect to St. Vincent & Grenadines.)
Interesting thanks for posting. I remember about this time last year there were lots more available!

•••
1,789 emojis. And still singles available? These are rarer than single character Latin domains, if you throw ngTLD's into the mix.

•••
Interesting thanks for posting. I remember about this time last year there were lots more available!
I can't see the domains in my browser, only a few of that whole list and the rest I only see the extention.(.ws).
What is wrong with my browser ??

•••
Good and interesting article, however this will be another simlar TLD story. Domain names are used for business. Succesfull domains are EMD's. One word domains related to business are at range of xxx,xxx, 2 word EMD's related to business still can sell high. Emoji's symbols , have limitted numbers that are related to business. There might be some "one" Emoji symbol that is valueable , only that are related business. But if it is 2 emoji, will be difficult to make sense. It will be very difficult to substitute 2 word domains with emoji, just 2 examples , how can Calcium Pill , or Aluminium Roof be replaced by Emoji. Another disadvantage that the emoji extension is .WS which is far then success in todays domain.

•••
I can't see the domains in my browser, only a few of that whole list and the rest I only see the extention.(.ws).
Most browsers should display them. Your computer doesn't have the symbol language set installed perhaps? Here is link (copy/paste) for Symbola download, install it to your OS fonts:
users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
Good and interesting article, however this will be another simlar TLD story. Domain names are used for business. Succesfull domains are EMD's. One word domains related to business are at range of xxx,xxx, 2 word EMD's related to business still can sell high. Emoji's symbols , have limitted numbers that are related to business. There might be some "one" Emoji symbol that is valueable , only that are related business. But if it is 2 emoji, will be difficult to make sense. It will be very difficult to substitute 2 word domains with emoji, just 2 examples , how can Calcium Pill , or Aluminium Roof be replaced by Emoji. Another disadvantage that the emoji extension is .WS which is far then success in todays domain.
This is true. You won't see an online business name based solely on an emoji domain just yet. Still too many kinks to work out, as there have been for years and years. They are not here to replace anything, and I don't think anyone believes as such. But there are some great ideas being worked on, such as @Jon Roig app-based emoji domains. This could become a reality sooner than later.

Also, in the younger generation, multiple-character emojis are awesome ways to communicate - a picture is worth a thousand words. This is easily painted with emojis.

•••
•••

Interesting. What browser are you using?

Dun's illustration is pretty silly, but it does illustrate a valid point - there's a bit of an input problem when it comes to desktop machines. That is to say, it's a lot easier to type "pizza" than hunt down the right image of a pizza.

I'd argue that's ok... maybe it's alright for a domain to exist primarily in the mobile space. I suspect that you're right -- for awhile you probably won't see bigger brands using emoji domains as their primary URL. That said, it doesn't seem farfetched for Budweiser to put "❤️[beer].ws" on their cans. (I can't get that beer emoji to go into place :'()

In fact, that domain works now - no idea if it's official, though...

Last edited:
•••
Dun's illustration is pretty silly, but it does illustrate a valid point - there's a bit of an input problem when it comes to desktop machines. That is to say, it's a lot easier to type "pizza" than hunt down the right image of a pizza.

I'd argue that's ok... maybe it's alright for a domain to exist primarily in the mobile space. I suspect that you're right -- for awhile you probably won't see bigger brands using emoji domains as their primary URL. That said, it doesn't seem farfetched for Budweiser to put "❤️ .ws" on their cans.

In fact, that domain works now - no idea if it's official, though...

It depends on the number of emojis you have to type in, and the number of available ones that you can recognize and remember in first place.
Well that illustration is of a real emoji keyboard. Maybe the only one around :)

2ltsx90.jpg

•••
Gary Vaynerchuk said:
Emoji is a language now. Period. End of story. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the world.

We used to draw. Just 'cause letters were introduced doesn't mean we can't use things now.

It's just communication. Don't get romantic about how you communicate. Worry about actually communicating in the year you live in.

•••
I did try to read a message somewhere on the net, it was all emojis and I got lost after 5 seconds LOL

•••
It would be nice to have it the other way around though: making the extension an emoji, and thus preserving the alphanumeric side of the domain name.

Example,

Instead of this

:$:.ws

we can have this

somebusinessname.:$:

That can correspond to .com!

But I guess it's not technically feasible. Just my usual silly thoughts :lookaround:

2itg8j4.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Well that illustration is of a real emoji keyboard. Maybe the only one around :)
I want one. Where to find?

•••
Found it @ emojiworks.co
But they are sold out.

•••
•••
The question is how many emojis can be stuffed on a single keyboard?!
msor4.jpg

2vdpmhu.jpg

Hardware Keyboards with standard emojis integrated

or

fake it with a cover !
2mrxjlg.jpg

--Click on the images to enlarge--​

Last edited:
•••
Most browsers should display them. Your computer doesn't have the symbol language set installed perhaps? Here is link (copy/paste) for Symbola download, install it to your OS fonts:
users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

This is true. You won't see an online business name based solely on an emoji domain just yet. Still too many kinks to work out, as there have been for years and years. They are not here to replace anything, and I don't think anyone believes as such. But there are some great ideas being worked on, such as @Jon Roig app-based emoji domains. This could become a reality sooner than later.

Also, in the younger generation, multiple-character emojis are awesome ways to communicate - a picture is worth a thousand words. This is easily painted with emojis.
What do you mean with install it in to your OS fonts ???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back