IT.COM

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Google displays them now...so they should be searchable. Execpt they don't resovle to their original searchable state. Kind of a problem. So maybe not.

Last edited:
•••
•••
They should all start with xn--

•••
Their going to start going premium...lol
I can tell you, they are getting registered pretty fast. I missed out on a couple that I wanted this morning. They were available earlier. I also made a list of 10 or so available yesterday. Almost all were taken today. I know those numbers aren't great, but I didn't check all, and people are registering them.

•••
•••
•••
•••
coincidentally. I had Google Keyword planner open on my phone in my back pocket. I butt dialed some emoji's into keyword planner. and could you believe whatever emoji's I put in? had 368,000 searches? I forget which it was now. can people search emoji's on google? if so I can see the potential for emoji domains.
Peaked my interest..so I tried with one of mine. I put in directly just the dragon emoji:
dragon_zps3rup3jxc.png

results of 796 million. A direct match to my (dragon)-dot-ws landing page might be buried in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I can't even get the punycode form (xn--0n8h) to show up in the results.

So the emoji is definitely searchable, but as for for Google indexing the emoji with relation to it's domain extension, it's hard to say. How do IDN's get indexed?

Anyone know what happened with Poop.la? Rules change for last .la emoji?

•••
Yes your right cause I also used the Dragon to search and see what would happen
lol too funny

•••
They get indexed by their unicode
like for example type this unicode into your browser and tell me what you get.
U+1F004

•••
I did it a little different EmojiMessage and EmojiPet in the king

•••
Give me one example of a 'popular' site running on an emoji domain. Just one.

•••
Give me one example of a 'popular' site running on an emoji domain. Just one.
There is only one in the entire webverse...the Poop domain: xn--ls8h.la
But don't dump on it..

•••
•••
Peaked my interest..so I tried with one of mine. I put in directly just the dragon emoji:
dragon_zps3rup3jxc.png

results of 796 million. A direct match to my (dragon)-dot-ws landing page might be buried in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I can't even get the punycode form (xn--0n8h) to show up in the results.

So the emoji is definitely searchable, but as for for Google indexing the emoji with relation to it's domain extension, it's hard to say. How do IDN's get indexed?

Anyone know what happened with Poop.la? Rules change for last .la emoji?

With most browsers and most IDN you can type in the characters and they will resolve, unlikely to happen with emoji with nearly all extensions.
For instance 中国888.com can be typed in with a Chinese Keyboard (Or cut and paste or use punycode) and resolves and is indexed accordingly. Google searches are 中国888.com https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=ssl#q=中国888.com
中国888 https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=ssl#q=中国888

Last edited:
•••
It wont happen ...

waste of good money imo

•••
It wont happen ...

waste of good money imo
Yeah don't sink a lot into them, but I don't mind keeping a couple in my back-pocket. Emojis are huge, but the emoji domain market is a different monster.

•••
•••
I do remember the guy with the pound symbol, I think he has been trying to sell it for years, still an interesting development .......emojis, just not sure how they fit into it all as domain names?

•••
Dude, you have to buy .ws to get in on this.
Imagine pizza emoji .com
Now imagine explaining pizza emoji .ws
".WS is the only Top Level Domain (TLD) accepting emojis."
https://❤❤❤.ws/#tlds that right there to the right is the link to the gd page.
Someone check on me in a few hours, I think this is a rabbit hole I'm about to go down.

•••
$4.99 a year
I might just register 100 American Flag emoji .ws
That would be a great addition to my dn collection.

•••
Dude, you have to buy .ws to get in on this.
Imagine pizza emoji .com
Now imagine explaining pizza emoji .ws
".WS is the only Top Level Domain (TLD) accepting emojis."
https://❤❤❤.ws/#tlds that right there to the right is the link to the gd page.
Someone check on me in a few hours, I think this is a rabbit hole I'm about to go down.
I have already made a video in my signature about it, good luck

•••
I can save you all plenty of time.... hamburger emoji basketball emoji .ws is available this might be the greatest domain name of all time. Would this make Frank proud? Wow!

Last edited:
•••
$4.99 a year
I might just register 100 American Flag emoji .ws
That would be a great addition to my dn collection.
You wont get that one, long gone I suggest, but you may get three or four of them in a row. I would not jump to far down this rabbit hole

•••
Strange to say I could not see an obvious link to register these at godaddy, I ended up going back to an article I had read to get the link

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back