Dynadot

Email hacked - Help needed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got notification from a2 hosting spam has been sent from my account. I was receiving strange emails with my control panel info as part of email, weird stuff as it is not from regular email and domains that have no email account. Any suggestions/ideas? If needed I weill pay to have someone go into my control panel to tune up, but it will be someone I know. @tiawood you are wp expert, any ideas or can I forward the email from a2 to you so you can figure it out. Changed all passwords..
Any suggestions appreciated, I have to go to work, it is frickin snowing :( wtf this is Canada not Siberia
Have good day all

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had this happen to me recently on my personal email account. They were sending out 20k+ spam emails every day. Switching hosts didn't help, if you are going to just copy the settings over from the old host. They had somehow broken into my control panel and added their IP address to the list of allowable senders. It was a nightmare to track down. Although it was resolved, eventually. It took maybe a month, and the host was no help. I had to discover this for myself, looking for any strange IP addresses. I really had no experience with what I was supposed to be looking for. Or where to look. I eventually added the email to my Google G Suite account. Everything back to normal. This last step wasn't essential. But I felt a lot more comfortable with this setup.

Last edited:
•••
I'm with you stub, I switched to gsuite a while back and never looked back.

One of my other businesses has the word medicine in the email address and it always goes to spam. Since its certified by gsuite it has never gone into a clients spam.

I run 10 gmail business email accounts on one license with a little hack I developed. 5 bucks a month for the whole business, cannot get any better than that.

•••
•••
Do you regularly update wordpress? You can PM me the email sent from hosting.

•••
header attack vulnerability can make that happen best thing is to change all the passwords for anything related to your site/email then delete that email address, obviously your hosting would need to be changed too to make sure they don't have access to it again.

•••
Strongly suggest u install Wordfence on ALL your wordpress sites as well... lock it down by tweaking the settings to allow only 1 single incorrect password entry... then the IP gets banned from trying to log in again (you can do a unlock by sending the unlock request to ur email address if u ever get urself locked out of ur own site) You can do all of this with the free wordfence option without having to use their paid version.

I know it doesn't solve ur immediate problem but going forward at least it will help secure ur sites.

•••
I'll explain when i have time. It wasnt my wp panel for certain domain, it was my hosting account. Finger they got in via weak plugin. Everything got reset

•••
I'll explain when i have time. It wasnt my wp panel for certain domain, it was my hosting account. Finger they got in via weak plugin. Everything got reset

Woaaah....that's a bit hectic!

Wish I could offer to help but I wouldn't even know where to being :xf.confused:

Hope you manage to come right with this dude, maybe Tia will come to the rescue :)

•••
I'll explain when i get time.
Learning experience for all at my cost, believe me
Complete content of all sites gone.
Everything reset.
All fixed except rebuilding

Last edited:
•••
And of course you have backups ?

•••
No, I didnt have backups, and yes I have been told how easy it would have been.
They were mostly sales landing pages, I was using some .xyz to practice on, adding different plugins to see traffic and how they would index in google. No loss there.
I did have my php link directory that I spent 100's of hours on years ago, vaporized.
Had lost interested in it, as I had major issues with bots opening accounts or users, 45000 at one point, everything was bunged up, they changed design and I hadnt touched it for years, bit of a loss but not much.
Had a few sites with original content, which I still have, so redoing them is just time. There were things I could have done differently, so they will be better anyways.
Just looking through my emails to see the time frame how everything transpired. Someone earlier asked for the emails, I'll see what's on them and what I can share
Will say some of my names had domain based email addy and when the email services got shut down I was worried. However i was still receiving for a few days after everything had been shut down, not reset and vaporized. Don't think I will do that again. I'll read back and see everyone's posts

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back