Dynadot

discuss Dumb Sellers

NameSilo
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
Over the weekend I had made an offer on Sedo for a name listed as "make an offer" The listing price was $500, I matched that amount. Then I get a response $10,000 to buy the name ? To me this is just a stupid waste of time, I have no problem that you may want $10,000 for a name. Although there is not much point listing a name for $500 offers if you have no intention of selling around that amount. I find that nearly every time I see a name I like with a "make an offer" amount it is just a waste of time. I normally keep looking. I am well aware this is a tactic to have more offers next to the listing, but makes me think ....
Are you a dumb seller?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lol... Isn't it what is being preached among domainers?

•••
But domainers are also buyers, i really do like the buy now option, saves a whole of Bs along the way. I purchased a name at Godaddy auctions the other day. I made sure the name was regged at Godaddy and then decided to buy, three hours later ........ in my account, cool

•••
•••
$500 to $10,000 is way too bigger gap ....imo
It happens. Since you are willing to pay $500 for it, then it must be a very good name most likely. It therefore means the seller wants End Users only

•••
I don't see the issue. It just means they're only considering offers above $500, with a BIN of $10,000.

Consider this: If the seller used a BIN listing of $10,000, and the absolute best a potential buyer can do is $9,000, the seller loses out on a sale over $1k. The seller recognizes anything under $500 as a lowball, but is open to negotiation.

The seller is also protecting themselves against fluctuations. The name might be worth $1,500 MAX, but suddenly Beyonce names her second baby the same thing, and now everyone wants a piece...

:)

•••
$500 to $10,000 is way too bigger gap ....imo
Agreed, but the negotiation doesn't have to be over. It's a pain, but at 500 were you prepared to go higher? At 10k they might / should be able to go lower.

•••
I also thought the same as OP, but to think of it, it's also possible the seller has gotten other offers and is letting you know that's the case so they're testing your need / want on the name, and maybe your competitiveness other than your budget - if there's any difference.

•••
I think it is designed to have a large number of offers next to the listing "oh this this must be a good name, so many offers" As mentioned if that's the price they want, half their luck but not for me. (disclaimer, i have no Beyonce records) if a jump in negotiations is 20x I can't see it to be a serious sales listing. Just state your price, this name did not pass the radio test I might mention

•••
I think it is designed to have a large number of offers next to the listing "oh this this must be a good name, so many offers"

BINGO!

•••
•••
Glad to see SOMEone is talking about the radio test.

•••
This name had a "ar" ending instead of "er" That's why it was only worth the offer amount, imo

•••
I think it is designed to have a large number of offers next to the listing "oh this this must be a good name, so many offers"
That's it, the domains rank higher in the listings too.

•••
Completely agree with the OP.

I've had the same experience at SEDO a ton of times in the past and each time has been a complete waste of my time. As mentioned by some above it has all to do with artificially inflating offer numbers to make the name look like a really in demand name when if people knew the BIN expectations it wouldn't get offers.

I don't bother with SEDO make offers like the OP's situation anymore, time is valuable.

•••
I have the sellers problem. When I bulk uploaded my many domains to Afternic, All Make Offer, I put a minimum bid of $999. Now this was too expensive for some domains and too cheap for others. And it's going to be a real PITA, when I get around to adjusting each domain individually. The offers I've had are usually all $999. When I come back with $2-5k counters, the deal usually goes nowhere. I think the bidders, are just like @HireDomains. Thinking they can buy these domains for minumum bid, for domains which are worth $2-5k to a realistic end-user. Unfortunately. Most of them are unrealistic. Now I'm not saying HireDomains is being realistic or not. I'm saying there are 2 sides to a coin.

I'd kinda agree that $500 to $10k is quite a big leap for a misspelled domain. But not to counter back with reasoning, was a mistake, IMHO. You never know what the seller really had in mind as the selling price. Since his counter was only his asking price. You never will know how flexible he might be if you don't counter.

I also agree that it could also be a strategy to get more offers. But low-ball minimum bids will always attract low-ball offers. So it's a double edged sword.

•••
I have the sellers problem. When I bulk uploaded my many domains to Afternic, All Make Offer, I put a minimum bid of $999. Now this was too expensive for some domains and too cheap for others. And it's going to be a real PITA, when I get around to adjusting each domain individually. The offers I've had are usually all $999. When I come back with $2-5k counters, the deal usually goes nowhere. I think the bidders, are just like @HireDomains. Thinking they can buy these domains for minumum bid, for domains which are worth $2-5k to a realistic end-user. Unfortunately. Most of them are unrealistic. Now I'm not saying HireDomains is being realistic or not. I'm saying there are 2 sides to a coin.

I'd kinda agree that $500 to $10k is quite a big leap for a misspelled domain. But not to counter back with reasoning, was a mistake, IMHO. You never know what the seller really had in mind as the selling price. Since his counter was only his asking price. You never will know how flexible he might be if you don't counter.

I also agree that it could also be a strategy to get more offers. But low-ball minimum bids will always attract low-ball offers. So it's a double edged sword.

100% agree . That's why it is always better (imo) to have the names listed as BIN & Make Offer . Think your name worth $7k? Add a $10k BIN and activate the "Make Offer" option... most of the times you'll end up selling for close to your 7K mark. From $500 to $10k is a damn wide gap to negotiate and I believe in this particular case the buyer have no clue on how to price and negotiate a potential sale imo ...

•••
@loredan - If I'm not mistaken, it's only GoDaddy which allows BIN & Make Offer. Not Afternic.

•••
@loredan - If I'm not mistaken, it's only GoDaddy which allows BIN & Make Offer. Not Afternic.

Afternic also has a BIN which allows make offer and you can set minimum offer as well

•••

It's as @wwwulff correctly stated but I was talking about Sedo as the OP made the offer @ Sedo

•••
Consider this: If the seller used a BIN listing of $10,000, and the absolute best a potential buyer can do is $9,000, the seller loses out on a sale over $1k.
Sorry, this is really perverted logic.

How on Earth this might be a loss? This is called "less profit".

For BIN $10k, how much the seller could buy the domain for? $10? $100? $5k? I bet no more. Even if $5k, then if he sells it for $9k, okay then Sedo fees etc., take $7 Net. Then it's $2k profit. Not loss.

To get a loss, he should sell it with Net cheaper than his primary cost.

•••
I have the sellers problem. When I bulk uploaded my many domains to Afternic, All Make Offer, I put a minimum bid of $999. Now this was too expensive for some domains and too cheap for others. And it's going to be a real PITA, when I get around to adjusting each domain individually.

The easiest way to do this is to set a %, and create a formula in your Minimum Offer column to create the minimum offer utilizing a % of your Buy it Now price. That way, you don't have to adjust them individually. You can just paste the formula all the way down the column, and boom - all your make offers are within a % of your BIN price ;)

•••
Over the weekend I had made an offer on Sedo for a name listed as "make an offer" The listing price was $500, I matched that amount. Then I get a response $10,000 to buy the name ? To me this is just a stupid waste of time, I have no problem that you may want $10,000 for a name. Although there is not much point listing a name for $500 offers if you have no intention of selling around that amount. I find that nearly every time I see a name I like with a "make an offer" amount it is just a waste of time. I normally keep looking. I am well aware this is a tactic to have more offers next to the listing, but makes me think ....
Are you a dumb seller?
At SEDO this tactic makes sense as all offers received remain recorded and displayed on the domain page.
Many sellers use it to attract offers (lowball ones) so their domains will display the number of received offers (not the amount). Hope this helps.

•••
It could be due to inflation. :xf.grin: lol

Yeah, a jump that big. Seems like the seller is just wasting everyone's time waiting for the magical unicorn to come along and say yes to $10K.

•••
The easiest way to do this is to set a %, and create a formula in your Minimum Offer column to create the minimum offer utilizing a % of your Buy it Now price. That way, you don't have to adjust them individually. You can just paste the formula all the way down the column, and boom - all your make offers are within a % of your BIN price ;)

I didn't know you could do that. I'll look into it. But my problem is I have not set any BIN's. This is what is going to take a whole lot of time. Thinking about the BIN for each and every domain, up front. Rather than, as now, only needing to think about the BIN after I get an offer, on the1-5% of domains which get offers. I do know I have to go through this exercise. It's just finding the time, along with dealing with Freelancers, on Freelancer.com. Which seems to take up an inordinate amount of time also :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back