Dynadot

news DropCatch spends millions to buy FIVE HUNDRED more registrars

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It looks as if the new game will be to try to contact the registrant when the name expires, and to try to buy it before it drops.

•••
It looks as if the new game will be to try to contact the registrant when the name expires, and to try to buy it before it drops.

i wouldn't be at all surprised if an internet giant decided to make an extremely lucrative offer for tc in the not too distant future

just the way i see it

•••

New game, only BO @ DropCatch. :)

i wouldn't be at all surprised if an internet giant decided to make an extremely lucrative offer for tc in the not too distant future

Godaddy

•••
If the prediction were to come true. I think GoDaddy would be the best bet. Because it would resolve a big chink in their present setup. But I don't think the prediction is true. I think they added another five hundred registrars because they have seen their business model works. I've taken my hat off to them from the very beginning about their strategy. It seems to be working very well for them. They should be applauded for what they have achieved. Whether it is good for the industry as a whole or for us lowly domainers is another matter. I don't think it's healthy to have nearly half the registrars to be owned by one company. Is my knee-jerk reaction. But that's the free market at work. If they hoover-up even more dropping domains, I'm sure their overall quality of catches will go down. But if there's no other place for the end user to buy their domain, it's a monopoly, and they will get fleeced. Some of the prices on their domains are already shocking for what are not the best domains in any sector.

Last edited:
•••
Guess who will be paying the extra costs...

•••
domain name investing hasn't started to get good yet

we ain't seen nothing yet

dropcatch and those in the same game collecting the domains that expire etc may well in the longterm be consolidating similar companies etc which will make it very easy to buy a controlling stake in the industry with potentially just one acquisition?

because by owning the domain name industry etc would have all future tech start ups and future website owners but the short and curlies so to speak and be able to set their own prices and refuse tl sell the best domains on principle?

i don't know what the domain name industry is worth but when the tech giants have personal wealth of $ 35 billion each approx the could buy the domain industry with loose change if they want to but j think they are just biding their time at the mo

•••
•••
Would be a funny time to straight boycott them.

•••
They should be applauded for what they have achieved. Whether it is good for the industry as a whole or for us lowly domainers is ...

It tells me that as more tld's emerge there is continued value in being there to catch all the different drops.

•••
I imagine drop catching will eventually be obsolete. Goddady and NameJet don't need to buy them or add more accreditations to beat them, they simply need to increase the number of registrars that participate in their expired auction platforms.

I pulled these numbers from the drop lists of names in an expired auction or dropping tomorrow. They're rounded off and change daily, but you'll get the idea.

For NameJet I'm guessing, the amount of names in pre-order is around 11K, I'm assuming a large amount of non-expired private auctions, so I adjusted the number to 7K

76500 Pending Delete
31000 Godaddy
7000 NameJet
4000 Snap
1000 Name
370 Dynadot
150 Namepal

So using these unscientific numbers 43520 names go through an expired auction prior to the drop leaving 32980 names at registrars that do not have an expiring auction process, but even at this point we see that we've had a shot to own 60% of the names in Pending Delete prior to the drop.

If the registrars that make up the 32980 start participating in an expired auction process, drop catching will be obsolete. Godaddy recently added Tucows names to their platform, prior to that I think they were at snap.

This is one reason I think NameJet and Snap should lower, not raise, their starting price for pre-orders. More inventory would never make it to pending delete.

•••
@ikehook - I don't think is just a matter of adding registrars for GoDaddy to be successful. I think they need to also revamp their drop-catching systems as well. When they cannot beat hand regged domains, something is seriously wrong with their drop-catching process.

•••
Would be a funny time to straight boycott them.

I think a lot of domainers probably already do. Because there are usually only around 30 auctions a day. But it's hard to tell for sure. because we can't tell how many domains are won by DC with only 1 backorder.

My bottom feeding is usually for domains I don't think they want. I've been right more than wrong in the last 6 months. But I would say in the last month they have captured more of the domains which I have ordered elsewhere. I can't tell, but I suspect, because of my previous successes, it's my own assessment which has got more bold, rather than them grabbing more domains. But it's probably too small a sample to extrapolate from.

I am basically boycotting them. But I have backordered not many, but a few domains there which I think they would be interested in. Because, if you backorder a full price domain from them, they are precluded from going after that domain. This works. Just as long as nobody else has backordered the domain. But if there are 2 or more backorderers it goes to open auction, which invariably goes beyond my backorder budget.

I think 1 I won outright and three went to auction, where I was outbid. So a total of about 4 backorders with them. So not a 100% boycott, But almost.

Last edited:
•••
@ikehook - I don't think is just a matter of adding registrars for GoDaddy to be successful. I think they need to also revamp their drop-catching systems as well. When they cannot beat hand regged domains, something is seriously wrong with their drop-catching process.
Yeah I don't even try, plus I have a problem with buying credits before hand to try and catch a name that goes through an auction if caught.

•••
•••
I think a lot of domainers probably already do. Because there are usually only around 30 auctions a day. But it's hard to tell for sure. because we can't tell how many domains are won by DC with only 1 backorder.

My bottom feeding is usually for domains I don't think they want. I've been right more than wrong in the last 6 months. But I would say in the last month they have captured more of the domains which I have ordered elsewhere. I can't tell, but I suspect, because of my previous successes, it's my own assessment which has got more bold, rather than them grabbing more domains. But it's probably too small a sample to extrapolate from.

I am basically boycotting them. But I have backordered not many, but a few domains there which I think they would be interested in. Because, if you backorder a full price domain from them, they are precluded from going after that domain. This works. Just as long as nobody else has backordered the domain. But if there are 2 or more backorderers it goes to open auction, which invariably goes beyond my backorder budget.

I think 1 I won outright and three went to auction, where I was outbid. So a total of about 4 backorders with them. So not a 100% boycott, But almost.

They are catching everything, Well ok, they're catching most everything.

Just for fun sometime this week make a list of domains that you would backorder. Then after the drop just type the names one by one into your browser and see where the landing page takes you.

I did this months ago before they added the last batch of registrars, 75% of the names were caught by drop catch.

You can boycott them all you want but that isn't going to do anything. They could care less if anyone backorders. (that might be exaggerated) Their real goal is adding names to the HugeDomains portfolio where they can be sold to endusers. In fact I bet their end user sales have doubled in the past year with the implementation of their installment sales plan.

I have a friend that recently bought a name from them for $200 a month. No outside escrow, just set up the payment plan and get access to the name.

Last edited:
•••

I've tried this a few times. Either they don't respond or suddenly become very protective of the domain. It's a strategy that can backfire for names that would have been within your reach at auction.

•••
You can boycott them all you want but that isn't going to do anything. They could care less if anyone backorders. (that might be exaggerated) Their real goal is adding names to the HugeDomains portfolio where they can be sold to endusers. In fact I bet their end user sales have doubled in the past year with the implementation of their installment sales plan.
/QUOTE]

I agree. They started accepting backorders from external sources, which they would not go after, so they didn't fall foul of conflicts of interests. And gives them some additional small/big revenues. But it's a double edged sword for a domainer. If more than 1 backorder. It goes to public auction, where anybody could bid. Bidding frenzies or not. Prices can get quite expensive. But if you don't backorder there, either they have other backorderer(s) bidding on the domain, or they want it for HD. And as you say, DropCatch/HD sweep up a lot of domains. My comments about only about 30 auctions/day was meaning there are not many multiple backorders on domains, indicating not many original backorderers. But we don't know how many domains they capture where there were only 1 bidder. My feeling is, not a lot. because most desirable domains will always have more than 1 bidder. But that assumption could be way outa the ballpark.

•••
I did predict early on that someday all backorder companies would go to open auctions for caught domains. Pheenix were the first to follow suit. Others will follow.

•••
I did predict early on that someday all backorder companies would go to open auctions for caught domains. Pheenix were the first to follow suit. Others will follow.
It's a no brainer, really :xf.cool:

•••
•••
Yes but you have to find the registrant before it goes into auction. After that the WHOIS changes to Godaddy defaults.

•••
Yes but you have to find the registrant before it goes into auction. After that the WHOIS changes to Godaddy defaults.
The whois will still show the registrant's name. Do a reverse whois to see if they own any other names then use one of those domains to find the contact info.

•••
Snapnames IS STILL KING of the DROP on a daily basis ... once in awhile HUGEDomains will have a winning day, not very often though ...

•••
Back