Dynadot

discuss Over 750 Domain Name Registrars Expected to Shut Down in the Next 12 Months

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Just read a brief article with the title...

Over 750 Domain Name Registrars Expected to Shut Down in the Next 12 Months, ICANN Predicts
ICANN estimates over 750 accredited domain name registrars are likely to close within the next 12 months as a result of the over-saturated drop-catching market — the process used to game the system and rapidly register valuable domain names within milliseconds of deletion....

Source: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20170705_over_750_domain_name_registrars_expected_to_shut_down/

What do I think of this? Not sure. What about you?

Here's another article:
http://domainincite.com/21891-icann...ampaign=Feed:+DomainIncite+(DomainIncite.com)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good news for domain investors, in my opinion. This means fewer daily attempts to catch names due to the disappearing registrars and more opportunities to register nice (although non-premium) names, both with software and by hand-registration.

Last edited:
•••
Good news for domain investors, in my opinion. This means fewer daily attempts to catch names due to the disappearing registrars and more opportunities to register nice (although non-premium) names, both with software and by hand-registration.
I'd suggest that the loss of these registrars will just reduce the number of name catching services, concentrating things among a relative handful of key players and ultimately pitting domainers against each other even more which will drive up costs.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
•••
its probably not very realistic to think you know let alone use any of them 750 ones

•••
Sounds like these registrars were created mainly for drop catching...

"By my estimate, roughly two thirds of the registrars are shell accreditations under the ownership of just three companies — Web.com (Namejet and SnapNames), Pheenix, and TurnCommerce (DropCatch.com).

These companies lay out millions of dollars on accreditation fees in order to game ICANN rules and get more connections to registries — mainly Verisign’s .com.

More connections gives them a greater chance of quickly registering potentially valuable domains milliseconds after they are deleted. Drop-catching, in other words."

•••
These companies lay out millions of dollars on accreditation fees in order to game ICANN rules and get more connections to registries — mainly Verisign’s .com.
That is exactly why I say they will have fewer resources to catch every good name under the sun.

•••
i could name maybe a dozen, and i only use one...won't affect me

•••
i could name maybe a dozen, and i only use one...won't affect me

Yes, it will still affect you, because the one you use uses the twelve you don't use to try and catch names. Again, those other twelve you mention are generally part of the network of the one you use.

•••
What do I think of this? Not sure. What about you?
I think it would be good but cautiously excited because 2239 will still remain. It could also mean that the 3 big names keep theirs and the smaller registrars who are not registering as many domains cannot afford to keep paying the ICANN fees. Hopefully the article is correct and the drop catchers are the ones losing registrars. I am always for the underdog!

•••
By my estimate, roughly two thirds of the registrars are shell accreditations under the ownership of just three companies
I have read that the big 3 total 1751 registrars between them.

•••
What do they expect to catch? Would be fun to see what 3.000 drop catchers get daily into their nets.:xf.smile:

•••
wouldn't surprised if many of them don't even shut down, but get bought out by bigger drop catchers. The rich get richer. But we all need them so what the heck...

Probably makes it a bit more expensive to get those premium domains everybody wants, but who knows, maybe easier and cheaper to get those under the radar names people don't want to pay $60+ to catch.

Last edited:
•••
On the flip side of this coin, I might be interested in acquiring one of those closing registrars. ! couldn't do this by myself, but might be interested in some kind of partnership with 3-4 other reputable domainers. But I would need a mailing list of these registrars, or some kind of notification prior to closure. Any ideas? PM me. It would basically be for .com registrations. To keep it simple.

Last edited:
•••
From what I see, many registrars are just making it look like they are taking over from other services on different domains, that were actually themselves in the first place. O_o

•••
Interesting news. Who is losing them ? The top 3 ?

•••
750 to shutdown.:xf.eek::xf.eek:
How many total are out there, i only came to know 10-15.
Are they all individual or child working under parent corp.
Which are the biggest registrars having web spread sub registrars.

I think its true as @infosec3 said.
It's more better when less struggle in the path.
Many more domainers will have chance to have some valuable assets fall in their hand.
At the same time, don't think many top valuable domains may be registered under these registrars as well know flippers will probably choose big names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back