Dynadot

DomRaider: New Drop Catcher Claims 98% Catch Rate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arca

Top Member
Impact
DomRaider is a name I've been seeing more and more frequently recently, though not related to their main domain service. They are a drop catching provider for .com and other extensions, and claim a 98% success/catch rate. But despite their (claimed) high success rate, they only charge 9 € per backorder, which is only slightly higher than reg fee. This is far lower than the leading drop catchers, who charge $59-79 at a minimum for standard .com orders.
11.png

What’s even stranger about their service is that DomRaider only seem to have 1 ICANN accredited registrar. Competitors like DropCatch.com have 1000+.

I had not heard of DomRaider until recently, and there is practically nothing about them here on NamePros (just one short thread in the digital currencies section). Today I also read an article stating that they’ve raised somewhere between 25-35 million euros in their ongoing ICO. I find it surprising that a drop catcher that is practically unknown in the industry, and that runs a dropcatching service seemingly with only one registrar, and charges reg fee for catching names, is “worth” that much. I assume this money has come from crypto currency investors outside the industry, not from individuals familiar with the domain industry. New companies with questionable business models raising a lot of money via an ICO is certainly not uncommon these days though. They are working on other services too, but drop catching seems to be their main forte, and they characterize themselves as "a French startup created in 2013, specialized in 'dropcatching.'"
22.png

If they really only have one registrar to their name, their success rate is probably closer to 0% than their claimed 98%, but with the millions they have raised, they could buy a bunch of registrars. They mainly seem focused on their ICO, rather than their drop catching service.

Do you have any experience with this drop catcher? Has anyone managed to drop catch a pending delete domain with DomRaider? How well does DomRaider perform compared with DropCatch, Pheenix, SnapNames, DynaDot, GoDaddy?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
98% of snap success can happen if they got 2 out of 3 domains.

I never heard about them before, interested to see the reviews as well.

•••
98% of snap success can happen if they got 2 out of 3 domains.

I never heard about them before, interested to see the reviews as well.
On their ICO page they mention something about 20,000 snapped domains sold, and also that they have organized 10,000 successful domain sales via auction.

•••
DomRaider is a name I've been seeing more and more frequently recently, though not related to their main domain service. They are a drop catching provider for .com and other extensions, and claim a 98% success/catch rate. But despite their (claimed) high success rate, they only charge 9 € per backorder, which is only slightly higher than reg fee. This is far lower than the leading drop catchers, who charge $59-79 at a minimum for standard .com orders.
Show attachment 69175

What’s even stranger about their service is that DomRaider only seem to have 1 ICANN accredited registrar. Competitors like DropCatch.com have 1000+.

I had not heard of DomRaider until recently, and there is practically nothing about them here on NamePros (just one short thread in the digital currencies section). Today I also read an article stating that they’ve raised somewhere between 25-35 million euros in their ongoing ICO. I find it surprising that a drop catcher that is practically unknown in the industry, and that runs a dropcatching service seemingly with only one registrar, and charges reg fee for catching names, is “worth” that much. I assume this money has come from crypto currency investors outside the industry, not from individuals familiar with the domain industry. New companies with questionable business models raising a lot of money via an ICO is certainly not uncommon these days though. They are working on other services too, but drop catching seems to be their main forte, and they characterize themselves as "a French startup created in 2013, specialized in 'dropcatching.'"
Show attachment 69176
If they really only have one registrar to their name, their success rate is probably closer to 0% than their claimed 98%, but with the millions they have raised, they could buy a bunch of registrars. They mainly seem focused on their ICO, rather than their drop catching service.

Do you have any experience with this drop catcher? Has anyone managed to drop catch a pending delete domain with DomRaider? How well does DomRaider perform compared with DropCatch, Pheenix, SnapNames, DynaDot, GoDaddy?
It's easy to boast a 98% success rate when 98% of the names they are trying to catch are not .com. It seems like their specialty is ccTLDs.

•••
I backorder and attempt to handreg names everyday. In case of tlds, I've never seen domraider catching any of the domains I try to register. I know they don't because they do catch some of the cctlds I'm after but not gtlds.

They certainly don't have 98% rate unless we're talking about domains that no-one else wants.

From what I have seen the last few months (I know of domraider since some time ago) they are fairly good at catching .fr but that's the only thing that has made an impression on me.

•••
I use domraider as .fr dropcatcher. That works quite well but i have not tried wih other extensions.
In the .fr case, the 98% catch success may work as there is no competitor. For example dropcatch does not work on .fr dropcatching. Snapnames does but i have never got any .fr domain with them so i guess their snap engines are not optimized for this extension.

•••
Success rate is probably for their local ccTLDs like .fr and .be.

I don't at all see what problem their ICO claims to solve. That said, I do think if WHOIS was moved onto Blockchain that some of their work could be quite valuable. But right now blockchain wont fix the trust problem that makes escrow partners so important to this industry. It can do, but expect it needs to be through a top-down program starting at registrar/registry level.

Sorry, just to add, their founder looks like a serial entrepreneur, and hopefully the ICO does not turn out to be vapor. I could not find any mention of how many tokens were reserved, so the amount raised they quote is difficult to verify or quantify.

They had never been mentioned on this forum prior to now AFAICS.

Last edited:
•••
See this...

simpleinterest.in/domraider-ico-is-legit-but-do-invest-with-care/

•••
•••
1 registrar? Seriously, just 1 registrar?

•••
Last edited:
•••
A few other links of interest:

https://domainmagazine.com/2017/09/...ion-unregulated-fundraising-by-domraider-ico/

https://medium.com/@jeromy_bernard/domraider-ico-where-is-the-35million-75389c0ce892

Interesting that this almost unheard of drop catching company is aiming at $100M USD valuation based on this ICO. ICO bubble I hear you say?

This was me trying to present the facts the everyone. I don't have that great of marketing skills and money to spread the correct message to everyone. I just have some technical skills which help me analyse what others overlooked.

•••
Quite a bit more here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2132588.0;all

Their ICO tokens had a value of €35M, with €15M tokens withheld for stakeholders, and €50M tokens for ecosystem marketing.

You can also see details of their bounty program used to promote the ICO. So reminiscent of spam tactics employed by SEOs about 10 years ago.

They do admit that their primary drop catch success is with local ccTLDs, but make the point that their cyptotoken is targeted at all auctions, not just domains. They will implement first for their own auction system.

To me it looks like they avoided western English-speaking countries for their ICO campaign.

•••
•••
•••
FWIW, based on what I saw it's not a scam. That does not mean it's a wise investment however. But the way ICOs go these days it's almost impossible not to make money, so this will probably end up looking like a missed opportunity. ICO will make .com bubble look mild IMO.

•••
I just tried Domraider.com. First off, you can only backorder what they have available. They stated to me that they only have a list of domain that their robot detects. "If a domain name is not on Domraider it is because we do not detected it with our robots." < Is what they emailed me.

Out of the 7 domains that I backordered I was only able to acquire 2 (28.6% catch rate for me, so far). It seems that if a domain is backordered on another backorder service they will get the domain rather that Domraider snapping it up. Note: They do not have LLLL.COMs, or other higher quality domains. Of the domains that seem to have reasonable quality I was not able to acquire using their service.

With that said they only have 1 Registrar that I could find, unless they use partner Registrars to snap names. Since you can only have a certain amount of connections to the Registry per Registrar, if they only had one Registrar then they would definitely not be able to be competitive in backordering domains. (That's why Snapnames, Namejet, etc... have a lot of registrars. In order to be competitive in drop catching you have to have more connections to the Registry in order to catch them.)

Other things to note:
- They operate on a monthly payment system, so the payments are made on the first day of the month for the domains acquired.
- Domain contacts can not be changed and the domain will not be locked at the Registrar level. They stated to me in an email that in order to "change the domain name contact you have to transfer the domain name, we do not operate on it."
- You do however have access to transfer the domain, and change the NameServers.

•••
I'm using domraider for about two month and I can tell that the catch rate 0% for good domains in all TLD sometimes they catch good domains with .fr .be and .it
they have "reward program" support.domraider.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000450533-How-does-the-DomRaider-Early-Bird-Reward-work-

I earned about 150 euro with this program , the problem is I request domraider to send the 150 euro to my paypal, it have been 10 days and they didn't send me nothing , the support is almost useless they keep asking you stupid things

sorry about the horrible english :)

I will try to update this thread if they pay or not

•••
12 days and didn't send me nothing and they don't respond to my emails

•••
I Get the payment paid today

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back