NameSilo

Drink.com on Ebay? Look closer.

Spaceship
Watch
I just came across this auction on Ebay where the seller is offering DRLNK.COM but has made obvious efforts to disguise the name to look like DRINK.COM

In the listing description, the seller uses capital D,R,N and K but mixes in a lowercase L (l) so that it looks like an I (i).

The auction is up to $3k at the time of this post. I hope this isn't a NP member pulling this crap.:td:

View it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
circa1850 said:
Now, teach me something.

What do you mean by this statement?

CTRL+C copies what is highlighted on a screen and CTRL+V pastes it (basically the same as using the right mouse button and selecting copy and paste respectively). It of course ensures you have it exactly as typed. For example with the auction mentioned in this thread if you did this and then went and used that to fill in a whois request form it would show it on the whois the way it is meant to be (as long as it does not just return it as typed)

•••
A quick way is to past the text/word into notepad -- uppercase and lowercase letters are immediately apparent

•••
•••
Maybe but the fact remains, you shouldn't have to check.

You don't go to buy a beer and then while you're in the store, open it and check it isn't apple juice or coloured water. Just the same as you don't buy pain relief tablets, then have them sent off to be analysed to make sure they actually relieve headaches instead of being dog tablets or fakes made out of sugar or chalk...

It shouldn't be down to the customer to throughly investigate every little thing. As filth pointed out, false advertising is unethical and fraud. If you engage in it, you should be prepared to face the consequences especially when it comes to Paypal chargebacks and an Ebay ban, when the buyer undoubtedly files a complaint.

•••
JRBHosting said:
Just a quick tool I made...converts the EBay listing into whatever case you choose.

http://www.jrbhosting.com/ebay/ebay
Handy tool! Great talent. Thanks for making it available and known.

I agree with B33r that it is a shame to validate everything. But if you're going to do business the ebay way, anything to protect YOU, the consumer, can't be bad. Unfortunately, there are scams no matter where we look.

Something we just have to deal with, unfortunately.

From what I have been seeing, same problems (shill bidding, undisclosed sources from PM, unpaid bids, seller prefers one buyer over another) exists even on these forums.

If it smells like sushi, it is probably fishy.

My first puchase on this very site did not go through because the seller preferred another buyer over me. That buyer had feedback.

Seller's feedback=0
Buyer's feedback (me)=0

I guess it is up to ourselves to monitor ourselves and other sites and report suspicious activity along with blatant outright abuse.

That's what great about these forums. Sharing of ideas. :blink:

•••
Handy tool! Great talent. Thanks for making it available and known.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure its legally ok. I'll make a new thread about it.

•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:
So far the auction has been viewed 95367 times which i find amazing.
Has now been viewed 1,867,411 times!

•••
Well I checked the ebay auction for the domain. It appears the sale has ended and all bids are retracted as well as the domain.

If you read on the bottom of the sales page for his DRLNK page. The seller answers some email questions. At the very very very bottom of the page he clearly states(I am sure now he clearly states after everything) that the domain is spelt with a L and not an I.

Q: is this domain - D-R-I-N-K . com ?

Jan-25-07

A: no. It is always the way though, as soon as a domain name gets upto a good price on ebay, people start snapping up all variations. You will also notice...more

•••
•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:
lpstong if you read through the thread you will realize people know this.

The domain was re listed and has again ended at http://cgi.ebay.com/Com-premium-let...ryZ11153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats fine but nothing was said about his quesion and answers at the first auction. Where the seller answers no to the domain being D R I N K. He answered this at the bottom of the 1st auction page.

In either instance it has been cleared up on the spelling of the domain at both of the auctions. 1st one being closed and the second under way.

•••
lpstong said:
filth@flexiwebhost said:
lpstong if you read through the thread you will realize people know this.

The domain was re listed and has again ended at http://cgi.ebay.com/Com-premium-let...ryZ11153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats fine but nothing was said about his quesion and answers at the first auction. Where the seller answers no to the domain being D R I N K. He answered this at the bottom of the 1st auction page.

I think this is what filth was talking about... (post #14)

RegFee said:
So, what does the question/answer that they posted on the bottom of the drLnk.com auction mean?

Q: is this domain - D-R-I-N-K . com ?
Jan-25-07

A: no. It is always the way though, as soon as a domain name gets upto a good price on ebay, people start snapping up all variations. You will also notice from the who is, that this was registered after the auction started, if i was selling d-r-i-n-k.com , i would have at least registered it BEFORE I started my auction! [I got some nasty pop ups from visiting d-r-i-n-k.com and had to restart my computer because it crashed, just to warn you]

huh?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back