Dynadot

Dotster

NameSilo
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I use them for all my domain reg's (i have one of their reseller account) and i get domains VERY cheaply, things always work correctly and i have never been charge for URL fowarding (are you sure tha wasnt masked forwarding), i have many domains there.

Highly recommended if you have a large portfolio they will give you an excellent rate!

•••
They are not so bad, the frequent specials are OK

•••
Dotster has really turned around!

Dotster has totally revamped their hosting packages and is now right up there with the most robust and economical hosting companies. I've transferred all of my (30+) domains over, and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
•••
The thing I don't like about their hosting is that the control panel is nothing like cpanel which is what I'm used to. You can't install scripts like you can with Fantastico. What do you like about their hosting? When did they revamp it?

•••
what happen to the happy hour/time? They do not run anymore?

•••
obvio said:
The thing I don't like about their hosting is that the control panel is nothing like cpanel which is what I'm used to. You can't install scripts like you can with Fantastico. What do you like about their hosting? When did they revamp it?

I don't know exactly when they changed everything, I just remember looking at their packages some time ago and thinking they were seriously overpriced. The control panel is different and it took some getting used to, but once I got the hang of it I realized that it's a really full featured interface. They offer most of the features you can get with Fantastico, they're just not as easily implemented.

vokkerzen said:
what happen to the happy hour/time? They do not run anymore?

Yeah, they just ran one not too long ago... A couple weeks ago, maybe. They were giving away coupons for $1 domain registration. Pretty sweet deal. :)

•••
I asked about the ability to install scripts on the multiple domain account and they replied back that you would have to use frames on your main account to have their auto install scripts running on any of your add on domains. That seemed like a ridiculous non solution to me.

•••
I just called their customer service people (who rock, by the way) and asked them about this. They said that right now I'd have to install the scripts in each of my accounts, but they said that they'd work to fix that problem next week and let me know if they're able to come up with a solution.

Every time I call Dotster with a problem I end up liking them even more. :)

•••
WizKid101 said:
Yeah, they just ran one not too long ago... A couple weeks ago, maybe. They were giving away coupons for $1 domain registration. Pretty sweet deal. :)

How can I get on list?

•••
Join their affiliate program or become a Doster customer. I get newsletters from them both as a customer and as an affiliate.

•••
how much does affiiate program pay?

•••
Marcvs said:
Highly recommended if you have a large portfolio they will give you an excellent rate!

Agree.
Ask nicely, and they may just convert one's standard $14.95/per account to an continual, automatic $8.95/per account ... if you like their services and keep your domain names with them (and renewed with them), IMHO.
Have a nice domain name Sunday! :music:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Their affiliate program pays out $50 for each hosting plan sold, and 15% of any other purchase.

•••
WizKid101 said:
Their affiliate program pays out $50 for each hosting plan sold, and 15% of any other purchase.

Ok, thank you

•••
I've bought several domains with Dotster. I used them when NetSol was king and saved $20 per. I think there new hosting packages if you use the code below will net you (5) count 'em (5) free names with the package.

Special Offer: Buy any of Dotster's new, enhanced hosting packages and receive five free new domains. Enter coupon code "5forfree" in the check out section of our billing process.

Not a bad company at all....... I think 1and1.net are doing the same.

Randy

•••
why buy hosting from domain registrar

•••
The price. Dotster is still a pretty small company (compaired to GoDaddy) and their service is really good. I'm really happy with them.

•••
Review

I love dotster
second largest number of my domains are in dotster

•••
WizKid101 said:
The price. Dotster is still a pretty small company (compaired to GoDaddy) and their service is really good. I'm really happy with them.

I am stil not confortable with buying hosting from a registrar. Thank you however

•••
Pretty useless customer service, good otherwise

Hmm... where to start?

Customer service - generally poor, recently took a couple of weeks just to get a simple problem solved. That was after one of their customer service reps promised he'd sort out the problem but didn't, and it wasn't until another cs rep came along that it was fixed.

Price - good for ccTLDs, expensive for normal TLDs.

Authorisations & coupons - don't use coupons if you're paying with Paypal (search the board, there's at least 2 threads)
Basically, they authorise the full amount, regardless of coupons, remove the actual amount (price without coupons) and then leave the remaining amount authorised for a month until it's removed automatically by Paypal. See above for their cs response to that problem.

Interface, generally good. Buggy availability checker (when checking 2 pages of extensions).

Overall, avoid coupons and Paypal, and their customer service. Good prices for ccTLDs though.

•••
Crap!

I registered a domain with them, and now I can't log into my account! My email to them was never replied to, they're horrible!

•••
Awesom!

Been with them from some time now i am more the satisfied with their service. Ill recommend dotster to anyone anyday.

•••
Review

terrible company. STAY AWAY!@@@@@

Last edited:
•••
Review

The prices listed as part of this profile are not Dotster's existing prices which are about $14.95 for a 1 year registration of most gTLDs. Overall, a great registrar. Their new Domain Discovery System is great and the recent revision to their account management control panel was a needed upgrade and is more intuitive. Been using them for years.

•••
Above average except for phone support

My employer and a number of our customers have used Dotster for years. We have had no problems to date except for two times when we tried to call support; in both cases callbacks took 1.5 days or more. Online support has been timely and correct.

They charge extra for basic DNS service; its not a lot but many other registrars offer free or lower cost DNS. The DNS renewals are not automatically sync'd to domain renewals, and Dotster doesn't notify when DNS service is expiring, however they have never cut off the DNS service over a missed renewal either.

We are all satisfied customers.

•••
Back