How Dotster Cheated me money!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys

I am telling you here how Dotster cheated my money

1), I registered quite a lot of domains during last year dotster promotion time, mid of July 2016

2), later, I turned off all the auto renew option.

3), however, in 2017 mid of June, one morning, I received about 20 email notifications and told me that my dotster domains are auto renewed. And I felt so surprised as I have turned all the auto renew option off

4), When I login my dotster account, I noticed none of my domains under auto renew option. I started the online chatting with dotster staff

5), Dotster staff told me I have two dotster account, but funny thing both account shared one single email address. When I login my account, I can only see partial of my domain names.

I never knew this before, and I feel extremely angry. How can one email have two account and as the owner I can only access part of the domains. I m 100% sure that I registered all the dotster names under one account, not two!!!

6), I checked my credit card, and each domain cost me about $22 dollars!!! and they auto renewed about 20 names!!!!!!

7) all these names would expire in mid of July, but not mid of June. That meant they auto renewed my domains which have not been expiring yet!!!

Without control, without notice, without right, I was raped!!!!!!!!!

Friends, tell me, what can I do???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did you ask them what is the username of your other account?

Many banks in my country don't let anyone charge credit cards unless I access my web banking account and enable CC transactions. I can set the time and the maximum amount that can be debited from my account. For example, if I have to register a domain name, I enable CC transactions for 1 hour and set the maximum amount that can be debited to $12. No one that has access to my name, credit card number and even CVC code can steal money from my account unless I enable CC transactions. They'll need my online banking username, password and also access to my mobile phone.

What can you do now?

Ask them whether they can reverse the renewal? Or you can do a chargeback if you want.

•••
Request reversal of renewed names from Dotster via Email.
Contact your credit card provider and cancel the payments.

Keep copies of all the correspondence.

Cheers
Corey

•••
that's disgusting... fight and charge back

..but how are folks at dotster & co supposed to make money selling below cost knowing you being a domainer not a regular retail customer will drop or transfer away to a normal registrar in a year?

there will be more of this from all those netfirms, fasthosts, nettigritty and the likes as they watch their retention rates through out the year , for sure...

imo

•••
this is so scary I logged into my dotster and netfirms accounts just to turn autorenew off!

•••
•••
It is very easy to inadvertedly create multiple dotster accounts without realising it. Don't assume you only have one account. Message them and find out.

Also, really important, make sure you switch off your hosting account. It automatically defaults to auto renew without you even realising it. Dotster sets up a hosting account as soon as you register your first domain - even if your didn't request one.

This also applies to domain.com, netfirms etc

•••
The best lesson you teach them by charge back & telling your credit card provider it's unauthorized transaction. Visa will charge them huge penalties.

•••
The best lesson you teach them by charge back & telling your credit card provider it's unauthorized transaction. Visa will charge them huge penalties.
They are not unauthorised transactions. People have more than one account (without realising it) and have not switched off automatic renewals.

•••
This is how they recover their 1.99$ domain registrations:xf.frown:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back