Dynadot

Weird Dotster behavior

NameSilo
Watch

nomen

Top Member
Impact
So reg'd 3 names @ Dotster. Started to update NS and such. Dotster always has autorenew ON on new regs but to my surprise one of the names had autorenew OFF. Then when I was about to change nameservers, it to my surprise showed ns1-2.xeran.com as the default NS (usually it's ns1-2.dotster.com). Now as I look WHOIS for the name, it shows FastDomain Inc. as the registrar and Xeran Web Hosting as the reseller but I can still control the domain through Dotster control panel.

Any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
So reg'd 3 names @ Dotster. Started to update NS and such. Dotster always has autorenew ON on new regs but to my surprise one of the names had autorenew OFF. Then when I was about to change nameservers, it to my surprise showed ns1-2.xeran.com as the default NS (usually it's ns1-2.dotster.com). Now as I look WHOIS for the name, it shows FastDomain Inc. as the registrar and Xeran Web Hosting as the reseller but I can still control the domain through Dotster control panel.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue with one of my domains few months ago. Domain purchased at Dotster, but it somehow was registered by FastDomain, even though I didn't have an account there.

To cut the story short here, I was able to finally transfer the domain to Dotster at their cost, but it took me some time and energy trying to solve that case.

It was very bad experience especially since I discovered the issue after I sold the domain. I was not able to push it to the buyers account, nor to transfer it, since it was out of my reach. Luckily the buyer was very patient.

•••
I had the same issue with one of my domains few months ago. Domain purchased at Dotster, but it somehow was registered by FastDomain, even though I didn't have an account there.

To cut the story short here, I was able to finally transfer the domain to Dotster at their cost, but it took me some time and energy trying to solve that case.

It was very bad experience especially since I discovered the issue after I sold the domain. I was not able to push it to the buyers account, nor to transfer it, since it was out of my reach. Luckily the buyer was very patient.

Did the domain show up on your Dotster account?

•••
Yes, it was in my control panel. It was registered during these promos when I was adding many dozens of names, so I haven't paid to much of attention on any particular domain. So I thought everything was fine.

But the problem started when I tried to push the domain to the buyer.
The domain was transferred to his account and he saw it at his control panel, but he couldn't update it (no nameservers change or contact info change was possible).

That's when we discovered our problem and it took us almost two months to solve it.

•••
Another strange case from my yesterday registrations. It was not Dotster, but MyDomain, but I still find it interesting.
I registered 5 domains. When I check whois on 4 of them, I see Domain.com as a registrar and MyDomain as a reseller.

But last one was registered by Tucows with MyDomain as a reseller.

•••
@thedotsol Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to do something about this then...

•••
@thedotsol Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to do something about this then...

I agree. Xeran is different provider than Domain.com and Dotster is reseller of Domain.com, not Xeran, unless they have changed something in the meantime.

Even though all of them are owned by the same company - EIG, in my case it was not possible to move domain freely between FastDomain and Dotster like it was the case for Domain.com group (Dotster, Netfirms, MyDomain).

The only option I had was domain transfer after 60 days lock.

•••
Sorry @nomen - I have only had the personal experience of the "one was registered by Tucows with MyDomain as a reseller." issue and I haven't attempted to move it so I thought nothing of it.
Is it only ONE of the three that is wrong? Is Dotster the only sibling you have an account at? I am curious if you have more than one account if you could push to yourself as a test.

@thedotsol - thanks for providing the correct detailed answer : smile :

•••
@usernamex No need to apologize. But yes, have only one account, i.e. the Dotster account. If the transfer works (as @thedotsol suggested), I'm fine with it, i.e. with the domain being wherever. Transferring it out anyway after 60 day lock...

•••
Yes, it was in my control panel. It was registered during these promos when I was adding many dozens of names, so I haven't paid to much of attention on any particular domain. So I thought everything was fine.

But the problem started when I tried to push the domain to the buyer.
The domain was transferred to his account and he saw it at his control panel, but he couldn't update it (no nameservers change or contact info change was possible).

That's when we discovered our problem and it took us almost two months to solve it.
I have that situation with every domain I transfer to Domain.com or sister registrars. All I do is click the whois refresh button and it then allows me to update everything.

PS - You won't notice the whois updated unless you refresh your browser or go to another page and return back.

•••
I have that situation with every domain I transfer to Domain.com or sister registrars. All I do is click the whois refresh button and it then allows me to update everything.

PS - You won't notice the whois updated unless you refresh your browser or go to another page and return back.

I registered few hundreds at Dotser during these promos and only had this one issue I have described. And this domain was out of my reach, no update posible, no nameserver change.... since it was actualy at another registrar from the begining. I was receiving an error whatewer task I have tried to perform with it.

I doubt we are talking about the same thing. Dotster support was not able to solve that issue, they had to wait for 60 days and to transfer the domain from FastDomain to Dotster. Domain was renewed for additional year at their cost so my buyer was satisfied at the end.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back