Dynadot

Dotster

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has some nice features

Dotster is not known as a resellers registrar, but I currently get better prices there than anywhere else on a negotiated basis and large portfolio. The off-the-rack domain price is high without a reselller account, but on the other hand, they don't undercut your retail reseller prices. Their reseller program is complicated to set up, but recently had no setup fee as some other registrars do. The bulk domain interface is a little weak compared to some others, but adequate. new domain search & suggestions are above average.

•••
good registrar

Been using them for 3 years. Very solid, support is good. Prices are high and management is not as good as others

•••
Terrible!

I got an email telling me I won a free domain. Surprise! NOT. I couldn't log in. Now folks I dont know about you but when I politely ask them via an email (which they make you send via their site) to contact me to send my password and dont get a reply thats NOT customer service.
So I think hey I'll just set up a new account and get it anyway. Guess what? They want my credit card number. Sorry bout that Dotster but nobody get my credit card number online especially when something is supposed to be free.
If a company doesn't bother to send me a reply for a password then I really DO NOT trust them enough with any other details and certainly not any domains.
DO NOT use this registrar they are frauds imo

•••
Review

An overall good registrar. I just love their domain suggestion tool. I only have 3 domains with them, mainly because htey have higher prices than the rest.

And Stella, the fact that they ask for your CC# doesn't mean they want to scam you, it's for verification purposes. You don't have the right to yell 'SCAM' unless you have proof of that. And dotster just doesn't do that sort of thing.

•••
•••
Just My 2 cents.

Just My 2 cents.

•••
Transfer out, evil prices.

Too expensive to hold a decent portfolio. Live support is nice, though.

•••
Average

They'r average, their prices are high, but they do offer some special offers and prizes sometimes.

•••
Awesome!!! How do I do this?

I own 1500+ domains of which around 40%-50% are with Dotster. They will work with large domain portfolio clients. They have always been easy to deal with. I met Clint Page, their CEO, at the Domain Roundtable conference and he was very down to earth. With as many domains as I own and acquiring several through drop services, I have had to deal with many registrars. I have to say there are only 3 I care to deal with... Dotster, Network Solutions and eNom. If you own more than a couple of hundred names, I suggest you place a call to Dotster and Network Solutions to ask how they can help you out on pricing. I like NameCheap's interface the best.

•••
Not bad...

Pretty expensive, but decent support...

•••
They just sent me an email to remember to renew a free .info I registered last year. Funny I do not ever remember registering a .info with them

•••
Screwed Up My Hosting Account

Received a 'bronze hosting account will be suspended in 7 days if payment is not made' email from them. Which is fair, as I'd been on vacation and all. 2 days later, I go to update CC information, and they have deleted my entire web site and closed the account. So, on 8/1 they say I have 7 days, on 8/3 they've deleted my site - and are unable to retrieve it. Although I make a habit of backing data up, I've lost all sorts of unique, on-the-fly items that I will be unable to reconstruct, including some seo editing. That site had #1 positions for profitable keywords, I'm losing all sorts of money now.

I am removing my domains from them, the first 60 will be gone in August.

•••
Outstanding resource for us; over 500 domains there!

Dotster has been a proven registrar for our web design, production, programming, hosting and Internet marketing shop of nearly 5 years.

The ease of updates and reseller facillitation set Dotster apart from most other registrars right out of the gate. When we upgrade servers and DNS and have new IP addresses to propagate, Dotster saves us scores of hours of time.

Dotster's name finding tool is among the best. The ease-of-use of the site is quite good, too.

Finally, Dotster's CEO is a leader among registrar execs in keeping Network Solutions in check, and in doing what he can to keep a 'level playing field' in the registrar business.

•••
Review

Expensive, pretty much double what others charge. There setup is quite easy. Allowing you to edit your domains and keep them locked (whereas other domains force you to unlock, edit then relock). Customer service is decent. Features are ok, but at the price they ask you can go elsewhere and get privacy enabled.

•••
Average

Interface is OK, price is much expensive now

•••
Seems they are buying everyone up lately

•••
Ask for a discount!

dudeman said:
Expensive, pretty much double what others charge. There setup is quite easy. Allowing you to edit your domains and keep them locked (whereas other domains force you to unlock, edit then relock). Customer service is decent. Features are ok, but at the price they ask you can go elsewhere and get privacy enabled.

If you have a LOT of names, ask for a discount! The worst they can do is say no.

Regards,
Keith

•••
I grabbed a couple of names during the happy hour

•••
There's another happy hour going on right now, btw.

•••
Yes, I did manage to get one domain name with them

•••
Review

I like Dotster! :imho:

PS. They will honor less than $14.95/per ... if you ask them and explain to them - if true - that you have a lower priced Registrar, etc.
All the best!
-Jeff B-)

•••
I agree to that dotster can be negotiated even with their published prices just show them the exact low priced and quote them in a list your domains and they will give lower price as well, and great technical support very fast and knowledgeable.

I will recommend dotster if you have a lot of domains to bulk transfer theyre best and give you prices based on your proven low price.

two thumbs up

•••
Has anyone tried their hosting?

•••
Their domain-finding tool is great; I use it all the time. Since I was using their services, I decided to reg some domains with them, to compensate them for providing that tool.

BUT ... after reg'ing domains with them, I just found out that they charge $5/year for URL forwarding!! :td:

This is free with every other registrar I've used.

I won't be spending money with Dotster any more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back