Domain Empire

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
PS. I know someone in the business and he said the gross markup margin on hearing aids is technically robbery of our elderly.

That's why you don't go to the big national companies, as they're all owned by the manufacturers and just sell, sell, sell a single brand, and make massive profits compared to anyone else, as they produce the damn things. Costco sells hearing aids cheap, but they're ancient junk that is several generations behind, so you get what you pay for.

Use word of mouth, find a private clinic that others recommend and who won't jack you, and stay far away from the "big boys". There are also scammers in the private clinics too ("These are high-end hearing aids with the latest technology", as they dust off a 3-year old pair of "stock aids"), so personal references are extremely important.

And remember, you're the customer and don't be pushed into buying what "they tell you to" and request a wide variety of vendor choices at a range of price levels to choose from. If they can't, then walk. Get quotes (with exact model numbers) and take it to a few other hearing centers to see what they can do.

P.S. The reason that hearing aids are so expensive is that the price includes 3-years of support, adjustments, repairs, loss protection (with deductible), warranty, etc., but again, not all larger centers offer that level of support. They are supposed to, but just try getting a (free) adjustment/repair/etc. appointment at Costco or Helix or Hearing Life after your return period is over - good luck with that.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, when it is a well known stand-alone product only known by the two-word variant, you might as well consider that as a one word. Price your inventory accordingly.

I still think that is a stupid price for an old school, keyword-jammed, 3-word, 16-letter (!), .CA, but like you said, it was probably chump change for the buyer.

Just don't anyone use this as a basis for domain investing in 2020.

Last edited:
•••
They could have also gone after HearingClinics.ca, which @rlm just handregged today lol.

•••
Domains don't rob from the elderly who are on a fixed income.

Technically, hearing aids don't rob from the elderly either, its the scummy people running the businesses that target them.

Of course there are plenty of rich elderly who are probably just leaving a large inheritance if they don't spend it, so why not get the absolute best if it improves your lifestyle and you can afford it. However, when they knowingly sell that stuff to people they know can't afford it, that's where it crosses the line. They're selling someone a Ferrari without telling them they really only need a Ford. These people don't realize they've stepped into a Ferrari dealership, they've lost touch with technology and finances, they just want help and trust that they're getting it, but unfortunately they're not. It's sad that people will prey on those situations.

I have one parent gone due to Alzheimer's and the other that is starting get get taken advantage of now. And there are plenty of businesses doing it. I just caught Verizon taking advantage of my dad. Verizon & Roku were running a scam where they disabled my Dad's Roku, then popped a message up on the screen to call Verizon to fix it. Note that Verizon is my dad's cell phone provider, not cable or internet service provider. Yet somehow Verizon magically and instantly fixed my Dad's Roku remotely and he was also magically signed up for a recurring $25/mo "tech service". My dad didn't even have to give a credit card number or realize he was signing up for a recurring charge (because he was already a Verizon customer)! 100% a complete scam.

•••
They could have also gone after HearingClinics.ca, which @rlm just handregged today lol.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one looking haha. I was going to make a joke about people reg'ing a bunch of hearing domains today, then thought, why the hell shouldn't I look first? Looks like I just barely beat you to it, don't be a sore loser :)

•••
They're selling someone a Ferrari without telling them they really only need a Ford.

This is exactly the truth, and when elderly people need to buy anything relatively expensive, talk to friends, family, contacts, doctors (though be careful as some take kickbacks), social groups, etc. and find out where they like to go, and where they're treated well.

Trust me that those "Sell you a Ferrari" places are well known for their tactics.

•••

That should tell you all you need to know about this recent .CA sale. :xf.cool:

•••
P.S. The reason that hearing aids are so expensive is that the price includes 3-years of support, adjustments, repairs, loss protection (with deductible), warranty, etc., but again, not all larger centers offer that level of support. They are supposed to, but just try getting a (free) adjustment/repair/etc. appointment at Costco or Helix or Hearing Life after your return period is over - good luck with that.

So do those companies offer a heavily discounted price that doesn't include 3 years of support, warranty, etc? I'm sure the deductible alone covers the actual cost of the unit. They don't offer it as an optional support package because that's their justification for ripping you off. AppleCare covers an infinitely more complex and expensive machine for around 15% of the purchase price.

•••
I'm sure I wasn't the only one looking haha. I was going to make a joke about people reg'ing a bunch of hearing domains today, then thought, why the hell shouldn't I look first? Looks like I just barely beat you to it, don't be a sore loser :)

You got it fair and square. No hard feelings.

•••
So do those companies offer a heavily discounted price that doesn't include 3 years of support, warranty, etc? I'm sure the deductible alone covers the actual cost of the unit.

Nope and nope - you should really investigate it first, as the cost is far less than replacement and many insurance policies cover the deductible. It's actually one of the good things about hearing aids and the elderly (some lose them a lot), but again, like a family doctor, you need the right clinic that will look out for you.

The main problem with hearing aids is manufacturers buying up clinics (this happens a lot - Robillard Hearing in Ottawa recently went under and was quickly snatched up) and then selling only their own brand through a large national chain (like Helix, HearingLife, Connect Hearing, etc.) thereby forcing patients to buy "only their product" and reaping huge profits through vertical integration. This is similar to an HMO, while private clinics usually offer a range of products and prices and are more tailored to personal support.

New technology is coming out all the time, and while one patient would be better suited to Brand 1, another might need Brand 2 and someone else Brand 3, and if you go to a manufacturer-owned hearing center, you only can only buy what they sell and are limited to about 10% of the hearing aids on the market. It's like only shopping at the Sony Store.

As for not offering basic programming, replacement, and warranty support, that would be impossible since the equipment and software to program hearing aids is not available to the public, takes significant training to do well at, and would be very cost-prohibitive. This is not a consumer item like a TV or phone, it's a medical device regulated through ADP and similar orgs.

The big problem is like Esdiel said, how many clinics are selling people the top-end hearing aids when they might need only basic. And if their budget is low, they tell him/her that they "need this in order to hear". Also, some lower-income or subsidized patients are not viewed as worth it financially. This upselling is a real problem, so rather than paying $2-$3K for a pair of basic or midrange hearing aids that would do just fine, they walk out with with a pair of $5-$8K top-end units that might actually do worse for their hearing loss.

Very, very few people need to spend $7K on a pair of hearing aids.

It's especially bad now with the pandemic and many are trying to stay in business by upselling everyone. Get referrals, ask around, shop around, ask them about brands they sell and budgets for hearing aids, and visit several clinics until you find one you like.

Last edited:
•••
You got it fair and square. No hard feelings.
haha I had just registered it no more than an hour prior. I didn't really expect to find anything. Probably a waste of $ but what the heck. Sometimes those pay off.

•••
haha I had just registered it no more than an hour prior. I didn't really expect to find anything. Probably a waste of $ but what the heck. Sometimes those pay off.

Another cheap lottery ticket and a nominal risk for the potential payout.

•••

HearingClinic.ca is in use and has been registered since 2001, so i think it has some potential.

Seems like the plural version dropped a couple years ago and no one went after it. You'd think the buyers of hearingaidclinics.ca would have noticed and grabbed that up too... but i guess it wasn't the exact keywords they wanted... or they never thought to check.

Either way, smart move on your part i'd say. Can't really go wrong for $10.

Last edited:
•••
Can't really go wrong for $10.

Or $3.99

And people tend to see what they want to see. Who knows, I hand-reg HearingClinics.ca a few months ago and have it sitting on Sedo, maybe I'm $7K richer right now?

Last edited:
•••
On another note, I think this is going to be a real ugly week for the bank account, as I just remembered that last week's auctions are going to be run alongside this week's domains, so I really should have paid off my CC entirely on Monday. Oooops.

fea5bd4fd1dffa91aeaca894bd419ff1.gif

Oh why oh why can't one of my GoDaddy deadbeats please pay! LOL

Last edited:
•••
•••
I sure hope they do, right after this weeks auctions... :)

My main problem is that the banks act like it's 1962 and pretend (to make money/interest) that it actually takes 3 business days for CC payments to be processed.

And nope, the GD Sold tab still shows "Pending Buyer Purchase" for these (cough) "Domain Sales".

Last edited:
•••
Just got a price request on a .ca from Afternic which was nice to see.

•••
It will be mine!!! Namespro will grab this one and NOBODY else will come and snipe me at 13:39:59. I have faith!!!!! :xf.grin:
F0B80B4D-4A2C-4486-97A8-A97840D139A2.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
Congrats,

You are the king of 2 letter .ca's (pardon the pun) (y)

I had it all all done at sibername but I decided not to proceed, which in hindsight would have been fruitless anyways.

Last edited:
•••
You are the king of 2 letter .ca's (pardon the pun) (y)
:xf.grin: I wish it went for that. Ended up at $4800. Not like they will get that one anyway. This one has MyId’s name all over it.

•••
HeHe...

I was wondering about that thinking how the f$%# did namespro grab it?

•••
What's really crazy is that Ranger.ca and/or Anniversary.ca/AHC.ca/COS.ca apparently were only bid up to $221/$202/$201/$200, and with all this traffic at the top of the chart, you just never know...

Last edited:
•••
OMG, someone just hammered all my auctions (at various registrars) into oblivion and the money is absolutely flying around this week.

I think I'll (finally) just go to lunch and hope I pick up a few stragglers.

•••
Just came across a rare pic of Danny Hunter!
230AC111-CBC7-41CB-B1CF-34FD55D0169B.gif

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back