Dynadot

Domaining.com no longer free

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Got my usual daily email, clicked a link and got the domaining sign-in page rather than the story I expected. No problem, I logged in only to find the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Unfortunately the Domaining.com membership is no longer free. We started to charge a low annual fee to help us pay our bills: hosting, data transfer, ... For this reason free accounts have been closed. If you are serious about domaining then we invite you to SIGN UP AGAIN HERE.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
lol...i only really enjoy reading couple blogs so this dosent effect me...

wish them well...

they have other features which i didnt use, i probably wont be paying for this..less reading, less time being wasted, lol...

•••
I'm saddened to hear this and I wish there could have been some other way. Francois has made a great site out of Domaining.com which I feel has really brought the domaining community more together.

There are some alternative domaining RSS aggregators and I fear most people will switch to them rather than be required to pay a fee which really is too bad because I know a lot of time + money went into building + promoting Domaining.com.

internext said:
Got my usual daily email, clicked a link and got the domaining sign-in page rather than the story I expected. No problem, I logged in only to find the following:

•••
Sad to hear,

I hate to say it but i wont be paying to read other peoples blogs.

only 4 or 5 i read daily.

Shame.

•••
How do you opt out of the emails if there is no longer an account to log into ?

•••
I'm still able to view my account as it has alsways been,

i'm sure in there emails there will be a link for you to "opt out" of any future emails (thats the law i think :) )

•••
It would be ok to pay if you get to read just informational blogs instead of "more or less" paid reviews of services and self"fragger" image promotion.

•••
I never really used it apart from finding some specific info that I required...& I always found info that I needed

Such a shame that I'll have to stop using it now... :(

•••
•••
It seems someone didn't write a business plan...does he not realise that this is not an original idea and that it could easily be replicated for free?!

•••
Pound said:
It seems someone didn't write a business plan...does he not realise that this is not an original idea and that it could easily be replicated for free?!
I think he should realize that from last time.

•••
trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

•••
Still working free of charge for me.

•••
I think reducing the advertising rates would be a much better choice. Instead of $100/day to have a sponsored headline, cut it to $50/day. Instead of $1400/week for a banner ad, make it $500/week. The banner advertising prices ($1400/week) are a fair bit more expensive than at Namepros despite Namepros receiving about 250% more traffic than Domaining.com according to Compete.com, so that might explain why it's being hard to sell.

I think Domaining.com could make $2000/month pretty easily between advertising sales and commissions on domains sold -- it just requires looking at the prices and adjusting them accordingly. Better to make at least some money than no money, everything already invested being already sunk.

•••
Hosting/server costs? It's a glorified RSS aggregator. I enjoy the site, but not enough that I'd pay to read someone else's articles.

That also means I'll stop listing "featured domains" for sale at Domaining.com now knowing that a very limited number of people will be viewing my name listed for sale.

•••
IT'S STILL FOC!

I havent seen any differance today!

Im using the site as always!

Regards,

Robbie

•••
robfer said:
IT'S STILL FOC!

I havent seen any differance today!

Im using the site as always!

Regards,

Robbie
Maybe early news the OP discovered? I logged out and logged back in and never seen the message either.

•••
internext said:

Same happened to me just now.

•••
The actual news feeds on the index were always free - But clicking on "submit a domain" or one of the "domains for sale" leads me to a New signup page for a paid membership.

•••
Looks like the email has just been sent out informing the site will no longer be free - just received mine saying my account is now closed, no more newsletters and asking for $35 p.a. Doesn't seem much, I know, but I'm afraid I won't be signing up.

What about the bloggers - what are your view on this? Will you be looking for other ways to promote your blogs to the domaining community?

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure if it's because I am a blogger, but I have yet to get any email and all the features work for me on Domaining.com .

How this will effect my blog if domaining goes to "paid" I am not sure. Since many will stop visiting Domaining.com, they can still visit my blog directly, RSS and so on. Blogger's could get more traffic really, but it's just hard to say.

Either way, I think making Domaining.com a pay site is the Wrong Way to go...

•••
I won't be paying either, it's just not worth it, i can go directly to all the blogs i like, i believe that instead of making more money, he's going to see it flying away.

I thought that domaining.com starting to sell domains would avoid this situation, but i guess he wants it all...

•••
I'm still getting the newsletter for free..

•••
bad move imho. There are plenty of other alternative rather than this. :ghost:

•••
Wrong move :( really wrong :'(

They could have sold email ads if they wanted to.

But paid membership for reading feeds is what I don't understand.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back