Dynadot

poll Domaining.com drives me nuts!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

As a webmaster how would you have outside links in your website open?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Open in same tab

votes
    11.5%
  • Open in new tab

votes
    69.2%
  • Be a dork and have it open in a new window

votes
    19.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
linjk.png

I visit www.domaining.com most every day and one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that they break one of the web design rules that most websites follow.

Here is the rule....

1. Any article on the originating website opens within the same tab.
2. Any article linking to an outside website opens in a new tab.

Why is this important?

Well let's start....

I go to domaining.com and look at the headlines and sure enough when I click it the new site opens in the same tab and I say to myself, ok I can just hit the back key. Then I read the article and it has another interesting link and I click on it. Now before you know it domaining.com is the furthest from my mind because I have been sucked into the internet of things. As far as hitting the back button that is long forgotten. I am done, close my tab and go on with my day. The next day I wonder how I missed reading some of the articles. Wash rinse repeat and I miss a number of articles.

Now had domaining.com opened the article in a new tab then when I was done and I closed the tab for the article I would have seen the original domaining.com tab and realized I had not finished reading all the stories.

This is a UNBREAKABLE rule of mine. I will NEVER link to an outside source on any website I design without it opening in a new tab. This is my number one rule.

So what do you think.

Vote up top and discuss in a reasonable manner.

PS. Maybe if we get enough votes we can have domaining .com add a "target="blank" command to the links. I'm wishing here but you never know.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to switch to decaf. :-P

•••
You need to switch to decaf. :-P

HeHe..... then I would look like your avatar :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

I say this as I sit drinking my huge mug of morning java :xf.grin:

•••
I prolly visited that site once or twice, since it's been online

imo….

•••
I prefer to open then in new tab

•••
Never been to that site but I'm sure I agree with your linking method. I'll sign the petition for other users sanity lol.

•••
Show attachment 101525

I visit www.domaining.com most every day and one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that they break one of the web design rules that most websites follow.

Here is the rule....

Why is this important?

Well let's start....

I go to domaining.com and look at the headlines and sure enough when I click it the new site opens in the same tab and I say to myself, ok I can just hit the back key. Then I read the article and it has another interesting link and I click on it. Now before you know it domaining.com is the furthest from my mind because I have been sucked into the internet of things. As far as hitting the back button that is long forgotten. I am done, close my tab and go on with my day. The next day I wonder how I missed reading some of the articles. Wash rinse repeat and I miss a number of articles.

Now had domaining.com opened the article in a new tab then when I was done and I closed the tab for the article I would have seen the original domaining.com tab and realized I had not finished reading all the stories.

This is a UNBREAKABLE rule of mine. I will NEVER link to an outside source on any website I design without it opening in a new tab. This is my number one rule.

So what do you think.

Vote up top and discuss in a reasonable manner.

PS. Maybe if we get enough votes we can have domaining .com add a "target="blank" command to the links. I'm wishing here but you never know.....

Agree it should always open in a new tab.

•••
I totally agree...

That is very fundamental point to avoid any traffic going away from site.. I read somewhere the average time spent also counts in page rank / website ranking..(hope I am correct)
Hope they correct it..

•••
•••
It seems you're not aware of power of middle mouse click and contextual menu: middle click (wheel click) in majority of browsers opens link in new window, while right click allows you to open link in background (when I don't want to switch to that link immediatelly, but continue reading the existing tab, while that new tab opens and sits in the background).

The same applies to mobile - long tap to link usually offers both those possibilities, open in new tab and switch immediatelly, or open and sit in the background.

•••
It seems you're not aware of power of middle mouse click and contextual menu: middle click (wheel click) in majority of browsers opens link in new window, while right click allows you to open link in background (when I don't want to switch to that link immediatelly, but continue reading the existing tab, while that new tab opens and sits in the background).

The same applies to mobile - long tap to link usually offers both those possibilities, open in new tab and switch immediatelly, or open and sit in the background.

Quite the contrary, I have an extension which opens a link in a new tab when I right click.

That is straying from the original question of poor webdesign though.
On my chromebook I have no such extension and it is an effort to open links in a new tab. As in click with two fingers, scroll down to open in new tab. It should just be properly coded on the website.

•••
Hello,

First, each title of headlines is followed by an "open in a new tab" icon so if it is difficult to open links in a new tab with Chromebook then simply click this icon and not the text of the headline.

Now, for those who ignore it or forgot:

HOW TO OPEN A LINK IN A NEW WINDOW:
- Click the right mouse button (contextual menu), and select the option "Open in a new window".
- Or press the shift key while you click the link.

HOW TO OPEN A LINK IN A NEW TAB:
- Click the right mouse button (contextual menu), and select the option "Open in a new tab".
- Or press the Ctrl key while you click the link.

MAIN ADVANTAGES TO AUTOMATICALLY OPEN A LINK IN THE SAME TAB:

- First, is natural, people DO NOT EXPECT a new tab or window be opened when clicking a link.
- It gives the user the opportunity to decide if he wants to open a link in the same window, new tab or new window.
- When a link automatically opens in a new window or tab there is no way to open it in the same tab, so anyone who likes that natural navigation should be obligated to watch each new link in a new window or tab.
- It's impossible to go back to the referring site (here domaining.com) just pressing the back navigation button after a link has been opened in a new window or tab.
- It's very annoying to terminate having n tabs or windows opened after visiting a site.

The way it is done allows everyone to decide to navigate the way they prefer.

•••
First, each title of headlines is followed by an "open in a new tab" icon so if it is difficult to open links in a new tab with Chromebook then simply click this icon and not the text of the headline.

Been reading your site for years and never noticed those icons. I went back and checked it out and sure enough, works like a charm.

Still even if you look at namepros as an example any outside links automatically open in a new tab, that is the standard for almost every website. Yours is an ok solution but it does stray from the norm. Your little icons had very little meaning by themselves I thought it was a posting indicator or something, it is only noticeable now that you mentioned it.

All in all it is still a step away from normal web standards, maybe a little "New Tab" tag would help.

Last edited:
•••
Great it works for you.
I will look if there is a new tab icon that makes the job better.

Regarding this supposed "standard" about open extern links automatically in a new tab or window (which as I explain will block the back button and the possibility to open links within the same tab) has been popular by "egoism", that's my feeling. Sites owners think they may lose traffic when people click external links and absolutely want their visitors to remain in their site as much time is possible. It is not my case, I am maybe in the error but I always thought it was a lack of courtesy for my bloggers and advertisers.

Good week-end!

•••
one of the web design rules that most websites follow.

Here is the rule....

I'm in SEO since 2006, full time since four years. I have NEVER heard about this rule. You invented it yourself and now call it a rule.

Pro-tip just for you: Ctrl+Click. Or as was advised above, middle mouse button. Or you can assign any shortcut in your browser for that.

Good luck ))

•••
I'm in SEO since 2006, full time since four years. I have NEVER heard about this rule. You invented it yourself and now call it a rule.

Pro-tip just for you: Ctrl+Click. Or as was advised above, middle mouse button. Or you can assign any shortcut in your browser for that.

Good luck ))

Has nothing to do with see and more with web design. Visit the top 100 sites in the world and check for yourself, the majority follow the rule.

Still think it's made up?

Last edited:
•••
Darn spell check

Above should say

Nothing to do with Seo

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back