Domain Empire

security Domain transfers will be locked for 60 days with any change to contact information

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
ICANN is getting ready to deliver a resounding blow to domain crime, by changing the domain transfer process, once again.
Any change to a domain’s contact info would be considered an update that requires the domain registrar to lock it down for 60 days.

Beginning on December 1st, registrars are required to send emails to the registrant to confirm changes whenever they are made; once confirmed, these changes would cause domains to be nontransferable for the following two months.
It appears that pushing domains between accounts would also lock down the domain, if the source and destination WHOIS info differs in as much as one letter!
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I did not went thru all pages of this thread, but as the whois is run by registrars it can be also overrun by registrars, right?
so I dont see a problem here, you give your registrar a call and he will lift this lock from your domain.

•••
NameSilo writes this (as I understood it after quickly reading it, it means no big changes and not 60 day lock with them):

Change of Registrant
Starting December 1, 2016, new ICANN regulations covering changes of Registrant go into effect. This ICANN regulation is covered within the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy covered on ICANN's web site at https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en. We have updated our Terms and Conditions as a result.

New regulation overview
Until December 1, 2016, the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy only covered domains transferring from one registrar to another. As of December 1, 2016, the policy now also governs change of Registrant within a registrar. Most notably, the new regulations mandate the following:
  • Any material change to a Registrant for a domain is to be considered. A material change is anything other than a simple change such as to correct a misspelling.
  • Confirmation is to be sent confirming the changes and is not to be made by the registrar until confirmation has been made.
  • Both the prior Registrant and new Registrant are to be notified of the changes.
  • Any impacted domains are to be locked from transfer to a different registrar for 60 days unless the new Registrant opts out of that lock.
How has NameSilo implemented these new requirements?
We have endeavored to balance the requirements of the new policies and requirements with the ease-of-use our customers have come to expect when managing their domains with us. To that end, we have leveraged ICANN's allowance of a Designated Agent to both approve changes and opt out of any mandated transfer locks when changing Registrant information. In short, you explicitly permit NameSilo to act as your Designated Agent for purposes of compliance with the aforementioned policies. We have therefore updated our Terms of Service within the "AGENTS AND LICENSES" to grant us the ability to serve as your Designated Agent allowing us to automatically approve changes of Registrant and to explicitly opt out of any associated transfer locks.

What changes can I expect?
The only change you will notice related to your domains registered with us is that our system will send an email notification to Registrants if their information is changed. Also, if the email address is changed for a Registrant, both the prior and new email addresses will be notified. These emails will include the new Registrant information being used as well as a list of impacted active domains. If you have domains with other registrars, you may want to inquire as to how they have implemented the necessary changes to determine if there is a larger impact to the management and ability to transfer your domains. We strongly recommend not changing Registrant contact information if you would like to transfer a domain to us, as doing so could result in the domain being locked for up to 60 days.
Can I opt not to have NameSilo serve as my Designated Agent in relation to these policies?
No, you cannot. All users in our system must agree to our Terms of Service which contains the Designated Agent provision.

•••
•••
Nothing new I guess

Whoa, hold on there.

As far as we know, only Namecheap and NameSilo have implemented such a policy. A list of registrars that act as a "designated agent" would be helpful for future reference.

Does anyone have information on other registrars?

•••
Whoa, hold on there.

As far as we know, only Namecheap and NameSilo have implemented such a policy. A list of registrars that act as a "designated agent" would be helpful for future reference.

Does anyone have information on other registrars?

Yeah, a list would be useful indeed.

I also want to point out the older thread on this topic (it has already been mentioned on the first page of this thread): https://www.namepros.com/threads/ne...sfer-policy-for-domain-names-by-icann.975106/

Don't know how influencing, participating and lobbying work regarding ICANN and their decisions work, but probably for some this didn't come out of the blue. As I understood (maybe I'm wrong) it takes time before such new rules are implemented and (theoretically) there should be time to influence decision making. I would guess that it's like almost any other lobbying.

So the fact that this new rule will be implemented - assuming that it has been prepared for longer time (months, years?) - tells me that someone might be benefiting although the new procedure seems to me on the first glimpse unnecessary or at least complicating things. I understood that more security (domain hijacking) was the main reason or at least an important reason. More security and safety is always a good motive to implement unpopular regulations/procedures that have side-effects.

In politics powerful lobby groups are (unfortunately) often able to influence political decision making in a way that is beneficiary to the industry/companies/organizations they represent. Often these have not so good side-effects for the so called "normal people".

So I wonder if in this ICANN issue something similar happened?

•••
how about switching privacy contact to public contact !?

It will impact transfer?
I presume not, but I'm not sure. Just read what another person replied to you and he presumes it will.

Last edited:
•••
hmm
so what happens to push within same registrar now for 60 days?
for:

- new regs
- domains thta was just pushed to us
- domain that was just transfered to us from somoene else (not ourselves)

•••
is fasthosts a good registrar?
I don't really know. I'm only member of FH 1 month or so, because a domain I bought at namepros had to be pushed to such an account. So I made an account (and maybe subscribed to their newsletter if they have one). That's why I was getting the above info. This was the 1st registrar to tell me this in an email to all its customers and resellers (although I knew already some months of this new policy that is coming). The others will follow of course, as it's dramatic new regulation from ICANN, but it is only really changing the 1st of december. I don't know if all registrars are even already aware of the new policy. Some will wait till the 30th november I think, or the 1st of december to send an email with the changes. And at some others you will probably only get aware of it if they implemented it and you actuall change something.

•••
just had an incoming transfer to godaddy on this new system

whois update needs to be approved by (buyer) & ( seller) once both have approved (email link) the contact updates.

Last edited:
•••
Can we still push recently reg domains to new owners within the same registrar.
Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back