Dynadot

Domain purchased from closeout is now GONE?

NameSilo
Watch

CryptoInvestor

Experienced InvestorTop Member
Impact
Hello! I purchased a domain from GoDaddy back in December, I got it from a closeout deal for about $17 total. I just got it Brandpa approved and went to change the nameservers, and its gone! I checked the whois and found it was transfered back to another user on the 6th of this month. I emailed him but, why was he able to do this and how is this allowed?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah I never got that one, just the purchsse confirmation and than an email a week later saying it was removed. I changed the nameservers multiple times over the course of 7 days though? As I mentioned it was listed on undeveloped which requires a nameserver change for a sales page. I have not received a refund yet either (9 days now since it was removed) but I suppose I will wait it out, don't even really care about that i'm just bummed about the domain. I definitely would have liked to have been notified of this possibility while going through the entire GoDaddy closeout process..
It was impossible for you to have it for 7 days when you would of had to wait 5 days at least before it even hit your account and then it was removed on the 6th. also you say you never got the email confirming the transfer was complete. so lets say it was in your account, it would of only been there for one day max before being renewed at tucows on the 6th. all signs point to it never being in your account other than you saying you changed nameservers. the cancellation email comes any time you buy a domain from godaddy auctions from third party registrar that doesn't complete. it doesn't mean the domain was ever in your account. when this happens to me its usually 3-4 days max before i get a refund on my credit card. typically faster if paid with paypal.

Last edited:
•••
It was impossible for you to have it for 7 days when you would of had to wait 5 days at least before it even hit your account and then it was removed on the 6th. also you say you never got the email confirming the transfer was complete. so lets say it was in your account, it would of only been there for one day max before being renewed at tucows on the 6th. all signs point to it never being in your account other than you saying you changed nameservers. the cancellation email comes any time you buy a domain from godaddy auctions from third party registrar that doesn't complete. it doesn't mean the domain was ever in your account. when this happens to me its usually 3-4 days max before i get a refund on my credit card. typically faster if paid with paypal.
Assuming it was in his account for even one day, how is it okay for GD to remove the domain and give it back to the original owner? He bought the domain fair and square, the domain was assigned to him and then taken away. How is this right from any angle?

•••
Hundreds of my domains are from Godaddy, and @Jasonn is right either you register, won the name on the auction, transfer or change the domain name server a notification email will follow, even to transfer the name, a confirmation email are being sent out to verify that you initiate the action. There are two sides of the story, The other side is telling that the domain was never transferred on the new owners account because the old owner renew the name, on the other side, He is firm that the name was on his account for a couple of days before it was removed from his account.

Both sides knows the legality of these, false information can lead into something ugly.

If @CryptoInvestor is certain that the domain was in his account for a couple of days, thats very bad and it will help everyone to be aware because me myself buy names from premium auctions and closeout mostly at Godaddy.

If Godaddy is right, false information is not good to destroy one's reputation. I only have 1 bad experience at Godaddy for almost 7 years being their customer, and they explain everything what happen.

Last edited:
•••
This seems to be a worrying case - especially as it was a GD auction with winning bidder. I don't see how GD can wash their hands of this so easily. There maybe NDAs in place, but surely GD have terms that companies must adhere to?

Also if the OP gives @Joe Styler the confirmation email of the domain being removed from his account, this would be proof it was there in the first place.

•••
Assuming it was in his account for even one day, how is it okay for GD to remove the domain and give it back to the original owner? He bought the domain fair and square, the domain was assigned to him and then taken away. How is this right from any angle?
I don't believe it ever was in his account.

•••
What worries me is that you cant even explain what happened. You really only focus on calling me a liar (incredibly UNhelpful) I’ve attached the email saying it was removed from my account.

Attachments

• 99703667-F16D-46A1-AFBA-A84CFED763DE.png
    99703667-F16D-46A1-AFBA-A84CFED763DE.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 62
•••
I think @Joe Styler needs to look at this. Is this the proof that it was in fact in his GD account, I think it might be.

•••
I think @Joe Styler needs to look at this. Is this the proof that it was in fact in his GD account, I think it might be.

It absolutely was, and I told everyone that mutiple times. I think the fact that i’d be called a liar before they think GoDaddy made a mistake is quite funny. I also have emails each day throughtout my ownership of it (Submitted to Brandbucket/Brandpa, SEDO, Undeveloped).
Next till ill record the entire weeklong process on video , since this is what buying domains from GoDaddy is like...

Last edited:
•••
If it was impossible, it wouldn’t have happened. Check the attachment I added a few comments up.

•••
What worries me is that you cant even explain what happened. You really only focus on calling me a liar (incredibly UNhelpful) I’ve attached the email saying it was removed from my account.
I just think you are mistaken. Like I said you get that email any time an auction purchase doesn't complete.from a third party registrar ie tucows.. It doesn't mean you had it in your account. I get these all the time but never actually had the domain.

Last edited:
•••
I just think you are mistaken. Like I said you get that email any time an auction purchase doesn't complete. It doesn't mean you had it in your account. I get these all the time but never actually had the domain.

I can assure you I am not. So lets say all the planets align and you believe me, HOW do you explain that happening than? Because whether you believe it or not, it was in my account and I changed nameserves multiple times, I cant accept your answer as “It wasnt in your account” when i’m CERTAIN thats false.

Last edited:
•••
I can assure you I am not. So lets say all the planets align and you believe me, HOW do you explain that happening than? Because whether you believe it or not, it was in my account and I changed nameserves multiple times, I cant accept your answer as “It wasnt in your account” when i’m CERTAIN thats false.
You said you never recieved the transfer confirmation email. Claimed to have it for over a week when even if it was in your account it would of been there for less than 48 hours max. Anyways it doesn't matter to me really so all the best to you.

•••
What that email says is that the transfer of the domain was removed from your account - not the domain. I apologize if the auction for our expired names may be confusing or the email you received. The domain was never in your account and also never at GoDaddy at any time in the life of the domain. A transfer was initiated and then cancelled. I checked in our back end system which shows me the entire history of the domain in our systems and it was never here.

•••
@CryptoInvestor original owner can renew domain with renewal fee or with renewal + redemption fee within renewal or redemption period. You cannot do anything about it.

•••
Is it just me or does it sound ridiculous that a closeout auction can finish with a domain sold, even though the domain is still in the redemption period? Makes a mockery of the industry - all the registrars moving the goalposts and setting different redemption periods.

Also the redemption fees are mental at GD - a client of mine accidentally let .com, .org & .co.uk expire and didn't realize. Redemption fee.....£342 including renewals! Absolutely crazy.

•••
That's your choice. The OP has stated multiple times that the domain was in their account and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Edit: Btw, your own comment stated that the domain was likely in the OPs account for a day and not weeks as they stated. So you're contradicting your own statement.

•••
Wow just had the same thing as @CryptoInvestor happen. I'm really shocked.

Bought a name from GD closeouts, received the domain into my account on Jan 13, and then today the domain was removed from my account!

I am 100% sure that the domain in my GoDaddy account as I took screenshots of the domain in my account to verify ownership and remove listings of the domain from various marketplaces (still have this screenshot, so I'm certain the domain was in my account).

I called GoDaddy and they said the former owner sold the name, didn't transfer it and let it expire - and now they have to take it from my account to give it to the buyer! Is the mistake of the former owner a valid reason for GoDaddy to take a domain out of my account? They practically stole the domain from my account on this pretense (how can they take a domain from my account after it has been there for several days?). So the former owner still gets paid for his failed sale, thanks to them taking what is now my domain from my account (the customer rep confirmed this when I asked in disbelief). Very disappointing by GoDaddy! I am shocked that GoDaddy can simply go ahead and steal a domain from my account that has been there since Jan 13. They didn't contact me in advance or anything to see whether I'd like to keep the domain, "help" the former owner, or even take over the sale of what was now my domain. They simply picked the name right out of my account, and I even got an account transfer confirmation email as if I had initiated the transfer out by myself! (how can they even initiate an account/ownership change without my approval?)

Last edited:
•••
Wow just had the same thing as @CryptoInvestor happen. I'm really shocked.

Bought a name from GD closeouts, received the domain into my account on Jan 13, and then today the domain was removed from my account!

I am 100% sure that the domain in my GoDaddy account as I took screenshots of the domain in my account to verify ownership and remove listings of the domain from various marketplaces (still have this screenshot, so I'm certain the domain was in my account).

I called GoDaddy and they said the former owner sold the name, didn't transfer it and let it expire - and now they have to take it from my account to give it to the buyer! Is the mistake of the former owner a valid reason for GoDaddy to take a domain out of my account? They practically stole the domain from my account on this pretense (how can they take a domain from my account after it has been there for several days?). Very disappointing by GoDaddy! I am shocked that GoDaddy can simply go ahead and steal a domain from my account that has been there since Jan 13.
Holy crap... WTF is going on with GD.

•••
Like Joe said, this is just the cancellation of a transfer, not an actual domain. If OP ever had the domain in his possession, he'd have an e-mail confirming that. All evidence points to OP mistakenly thinking he ever had the name.

transfer.png

•••
I can only blame Godaddy if domain goes to any other account except original owner.

•••
I called GoDaddy and they said the former owner sold the name, didn't transfer it and let it expire - and now they have to take it from my account to give it to the buyer! Is the mistake of the former owner a valid reason for GoDaddy to take a domain out of my account?

Woooaahh..... this makes me want to transfer all of my domains out of Godaddy.

•••
Woooaahh..... this makes me want to transfer all of my domains out of Godaddy.
You cannot within 60 days. I cannot see Godaddy done anything wrong.

•••
I called GoDaddy and they said the former owner sold the name, didn't transfer it and let it expire - and now they have to take it from my account to give it to the buyer!

OK that's not good. At least you will get the owner's cut of the sale, though. Did they say how much it sold for?

•••
OK that's not good. At least you will get the owner's cut of the sale, though. Did they say how much it sold for?
"Sold"! How?

•••
@CryptoInvestor Do you have an e-mail from GoDaddy regarding this name with the subject "Domain Transfer Confirmation?"

In the body, it would say this:

"Your transfer request is complete

Congratulations! We've completed the transfer request for the following domain names:

__________.com
"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back