Domain Empire

Domain Parking: Tips & Tricks to Help You Earn More!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

smurge

The journey is never endingVIP Member
Impact
And so it begins!:wave:

My goal is to help people learn more about the parking industry and help them earn more money while spending less of it.

There are tons of tricks,tips,secrets that people use to make money in this business.

Let me say this, I will not discuss illegal or bad practices here so please don't ask.

What will I talk about? How to find domains,with traffic for cheap. Creating long term wealth for yourself and how to do it on a budget. I will answer questions and talk about what I know. If there is something I'm not familiar with or not knowledgeable about I will say so.

I am not here to start flaming wars with other domainers or parking gurus. Everyone has their own set of rules to making money. If you don't like mine, that's okay , but please share your ideas with everyone instead of bashing others.

Myths I want to debunk now:

#1. Parking is dead. (Far from it)

#2. You can't make money doing it. (B.S.- you can make a ton of money in it)

#3. Only the rich can do this. (This is not true!)

#4. Google doesn't like domain parking! (Yes they do, they make a ton of money off it. If they hated it so much why do they continue to support it?)

----

So what's the point of all this? It's to help people with parking.

Please feel free to email,pm, or post your questions here and I will do my best to answer them all.

Thanks!

RJ

(P.S. I'm not the best writer so I apologize for any grammar or sentence structure mistakes in advance.)

--Answers to Questions I'm frequently asked!--

#1. What parking companies do I support/like?

These are the main ones I use and have had great success with. I base my success not only on the amount of money I make but also, customer service and transparency.

In alphabetical order:

- Bodis.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)(Zero Click Model Supported)
- Domainsponsor.com (Supports Foreign Traffic) (Zero Click Model Supported)
- Parkingcrew.com (Supports Foreign Traffic)
- Voodoo.com (Highest Payouts In The Industry)

#2. What tools do you use to help you evaluate domains?

Besides my own "TOOL", which I'm not here to promote I would suggest the following;

1. Push2check.com - Great resource site (I do not affiliated with them in anyway)

If we break down the tools I generally look at the following:

Traffic Sources: (Understand that no tool is 100% accurate but together you can get a great picture.)

1. Compete.com
2. Alexa.com
3. Quantcast.com
4. Verisign Labs: http://domainscore.verisignlabs.com/ ( WARNING: This tool to be used when you have mastered other tools. The information on this site is tricky but can be useful)

History of the domain:

1. Archive.org
2. who.is

Backlinks: ( There are plenty of tools for these but here are some sites I use)

1. Majesticseo.com
2. Google Backlinks
3. Yahoo Backlinks
4. DuckDuckGo.com
5. AHrefs.com: https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/brickbuyers.com
6. opensiteexplorer.org (Enjoy this one. It's the search engine for backlinks)

Keywords:

1. Google Keyword Tool

#3. Where can I get lists to analyze:

I have my own tools that do the work for me however here are a few places you can grab lists from to analyze:

1. Dynadot.com
2. Expireddomains.net - (good site)
3. Namejet.com
4. Snapnames.com
5. Godaddy.com
6. Freshdrop.net - (this covers a majority of the above & more)

#4. Do all your domains make money?:

NO!

I'll say it again : NO! I STILL PICK LOSERS!

In fact anyone who says they make money on every single purchase is lying. No one has a 100% success rate and you don't need to. What you need to do to win in this business is;

#1. Pick 51% winners
#2. Make sure to keep your costs low and make more then your spending.

Understand a single domain can make up the costs of lost ones. I picked a domain that makes me $15.00 a day in revenue. That means I'll make $450 a month with it and it's recouped $300 I've lost on previous domains.

Trust me, the sea of domains is massive and there are ton's of GOLDEN NUGGETS ready to be mined by all.

#5. How much do you spend on domains?:

I've spent anywhere from $.99 - $x,xxx! If I like a domain I will spend what I need, to get it as long as "I CAN STILL MAKE A PROFIT"! That's the key.

However, recently I am testing a new program which allows me to buy strictly "HANDREGS". YUP, Handregs! You would be surprised at how much stuff is just sitting on the ocean floor of domains that people think are garbage.

#6. Blacklisted Domains? Revenue Sucks! HELLLLLP!

This is something that's not addressed a lot and something everyone should be aware of: THE BLACK LIST!

This still happens to me this day. I'll buy a domain only to find out the previous owner got blacklisted from Google. This will affect your revenue greatly because Google will not allow Parking Companies to display the proper ad's on your site. If this happens you will need to go to a second feed like Yahoo! or Zeroclick model.

Common Terms for Blacklisted:

1. Faillisted
2. Blacklisted
3. Fail

Check the status of a domain when you park it and you'll see what I mean.

Edit:6/12/2012: Thank You www.ri.sch.edu.sg for this tool!

Originally Posted by www.ri.sch.edu.sg

One thing I can add to this thread is to check if the domain is blacklisted before you purchase them, simply point to:

https://api.bodis.com/domainclassification?domain=(Insert Domain Here)

Classification:

Primary = Google

Secondary = All others but Google (Faillisted,blacklisted, etc from google)

Hope that helps

#7. YUM! YUM! Domain Tasting

If you're not sure what this is it's when you buy a domain and test the traffic for a set amount of time and if your not happy with the traffic you can get a refund or partial refund of your handreg fee.

One thing I see all the time is: Domain tasting is dead! No it's not!

Yes; it might not be as prevalent as it once used to be but there are companies out there that still allow it. How do I know this? Because I do it.

#8. Can I promote or advertise my parked domains?

No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No,No, No, No, No, No, No!

If I wasn't clear let me repeat it; NO!

#9. What do all those backlinks mean from different sites?

(Thanks Martiinko for the info)

All those sites "backlink" scanners work by "downloading" the pages all over internet and then searching for URLs in it. Moving from one page to the other over these links. But...

1. There maybe a difference in last time they check this domain for backlinks.

2. There is definitely a huge difference in their databases of pages. That means if one site has smaller DB they don't probably have all the backlinks from as many pages as the other site.

3. Some backlinks are maybe updated, some maybe aren't. The process of "crawling" the web is very time consuming, so not all the backlinks can be verified every day.

To your other question. The links like you described are ok. If you park a domain all the requests go straight to the main page. But what is important is where is the link located. Is it a "spam in comments section", is it in the "blog post" or is maybe a "banner"?

So I collected couple different pages (and I'm collecting even more) for you to check if the webpage/domain was ever parked before ;) Some have form input some are just simple url + domain name.
I will make it into a simple web app, so you don't have to go to all of this pages when checking a domain name for parking history. Mostly screenshots.

Was this domain name parked before?
All of them are free. And I don't have any connection to them whatsoever.

Fun fact: This article got to 2th place in google search for Domain name parking history after 20 minutes.

*** WORDS OF WISDOM ***

1. Never spend money you can't afford to lose! Consider every domain investment a loss till you make your money back because that's what it is. No one can tell me different on this and the reason why is you are "NEGATIVE" that amount of money till it's recouped.

2. When you buy a domain to park; look to get your initial investment back within 6-12 months.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So parking a brand new domain is a waste of money?
I have a few never used domains that are 1-3 years old and some of them seems quite good for parking, so I had them parked at Sedo a few days ago before I saw this thread... is this a good choice or should I just transfer it to one of the aforementioned service providers?

•••
So parking a brand new domain is a waste of money?

Yes, in most cases.

I have a few never used domains that are 1-3 years old and some of them seems quite good for parking, so I had them parked at Sedo a few days ago before I saw this thread... is this a good choice ..
You should find out for yourself after 2/3 weeks

..or should I just transfer it to one of the aforementioned service providers?

You will find out for yourself after you've had them parked elsewhere after 2/3 weeks.

•••
Yes, in most cases.

You should find out for yourself after 2/3 weeks

You will find out for yourself after you've had them parked elsewhere after 2/3 weeks.

many thanks for the prompt reply...
I also heard about parking services that does SEO and Backlinking to get traffic to their parked domains, is there such service? is it a good thing to SEO and backlink a parked domain?

•••
I also heard about parking services that does SEO and Backlinking to get traffic to their parked domains, is there such service?

Somebody must have been pulling your leg :)

... is it a good thing to SEO and backlink a parked domain?

SEO to a site which contains loads of ads links is extremely basic & useless. As regards backlinks you cannot create them after the domain has been parked.

I would recommend you to go back to the basics and try to read as much as possible before doing anything else. And I wouldn't for one second think that domaining could be easy money, far from it and if you have any other money making talents I would spend more time on that rather than on domaining.

•••
Hm, seems like majesticseo is limited even for free users, and I'm not yet confident about this whole thing so I'm not ready to pay for my membership. Would like to at least find 1 domain with a little potential first. Is there any other similar website you recommend? Someone mentioned backlinkwatch.com, and I'm not sure if troll or if he was promoting his own site, but it's totally worthless, plus all the adds is driving me crazy.

Edit: went to expireddomains.net and checked the dropped domains with back links the last 24 hours, it did say back links, but then there was only Blekko inbound links to sort after, some random website is supposed to have 82k links, and when I go to google and type link:xxxxxxxxx.com it shows nothing at all. Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited:
•••
Somebody must have been pulling your leg :)

SEO to a site which contains loads of ads links is extremely basic & useless. As regards backlinks you cannot create them after the domain has been parked.

I would recommend you to go back to the basics and try to read as much as possible before doing anything else. And I wouldn't for one second think that domaining could be easy money, far from it and if you have any other money making talents I would spend more time on that rather than on domaining.

:lol: :bingo:... Yes I'm a newbie when it comes to domaining

thats a good advice, thanks... actually, I'm not planning to buy any new domains to park, I just happen to have a handful of them that I dont have time to properly build and monetize... I though I can park them and earn some :$::$: till their time comes

•••
.. I just happen to have a handful of them that I dont have time to properly build and monetize... I though I can park them and earn some :$::$: till their time comes

Thankfully, parking domains are free of charge, so pick up a company (except Sedo) and park your domains and start experimenting........

•••
PROBLEM WITH PARKING

A great domain that pulls $10 ppc quickly slides to 10c ppc on most platforms.

My trick: I split parking SIMULTANEOUSLY among 4 parkings.

:lol:

This way i say:
Fvck Bodis!
Fvck Sedo!
Fvck Vodoo!
Fvck ND!

•••
I often wonder if people understand the importance of keywords. Let go over an example and discuss.

If I was parking a domain that had to do with college education and had to pick one keyword, what would it be?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and please give your 1 keywords with explanation. I will give you all my pick afterwards and explain why I picked the specific keyword.

•••
my pick: colleges online

reason: due to high cpc and searches

plz share your pick and why

•••
I will pick "medical school"

•••
I often wonder if people understand the importance of keywords. Let go over an example and discuss.

If I was parking a domain that had to do with college education and had to pick one keyword, what would it be?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and please give your 1 keywords with explanation. I will give you all my pick afterwards and explain why I picked the specific keyword.

Student Loan

•••
Im also the one who says parking isnt dead, i do get quality rates and yes keyword matter mosts.

@ smurge, i will keep my keyword as " college education " itself.

I feel when someone comes to your domain he would be only looking for the term he has searched for, if the person finds something unrelated he will close it within seconds.

So whenever i set a keyword for the domain i always keep the keyword as what my domain is, this has always helped me in earning better.

•••
I used to pick the keywords and I would get a nickel ppc.
Now I let them automatically assign keywords. My ppc went up 4-folds

•••
....... understand the importance of keywords.

Of course we understand. Sedo only uses keywords for classification, not ads. Bodis now does the same. Domain Sponsor allows you to force search terms on landers, but not keyword ads. Voodoo allows keywords, but rumor has it Google will put an end to this for all providers.

Example, keword set to 'Online Degrees' at Voodoo. First month, $10 clicks from a college.org domain. Second month, down to $2. Now domain displaying these ads:

_____

Free Domains & Website

Award-Winning Website Creation! Get A New Website Free.
www.Intuit.com/Free-WebsiteWeb Domain Registration

Get Info On Web Domain Registration Access 10 Search Engines At Once.
www.Info.com/WebDomainRegistration$2 Domain Names

Best Value In The Market $2, Limited Time Offer!
www.Register.comAmerican Eagles

Gold and Silver American Eagles Live Precious Metal Prices
NWTMint.com

____

I would not expect big dollar clicks for long, without content. Especially with Google's earnings faltering.

•••
G uses a lot of interest based advertising. Things they think you are interested in based on past searches on their official search site plus the websites you visited that had Adsense.

From this data they would many times display ads on parked domains that are relevant to what your browsing history is rather than what the domain is.

Hence why you are seeing ads for domain registration.

•••
Thanks for the post,its very informative.Especially for that tools list which help in evaluating the domains. Good work.

•••
Hey Matt,
u used to write reasonable stuff.
Not anymore.
And Bodis is paying a fraction for the SAME portfolio it paid 3 years ago.

Care to comment?

:bingo:

•••
G uses a lot of interest based advertising. Things they think you are interested in based on past searches on their official search site plus the websites you visited that had Adsense.

I recently discovered that and think it's a huge negative. Perhaps depending on it being a 1 or 2 click lander a high percentage of the ads I am seeing on my own parked pages are based on subjects I have personally searched for in the past, with little if any relationship to the current search term and domain.

It seems they go back in the past a long way since I see ads for niche subjects last searched for several weeks ago or even longer. In most all cases I am no longer interested in the old keyword subject or else already purchased the item, already obtained the desired information, or have zero interest in it now. As a result the ads are most all worthless.

Interest based ads seem to be a huge negative to our PPC income and contrary to benefits of owning exact match keyword domains. It's quite possible interest based ads are a major reason google has devalued or penalized EMKD names.

P.S. Is there a way to opt-out of IBA or at least have it used less?

Last edited:
•••
Bodis is paying a fraction for the SAME portfolio it paid 3 years ago.

Care to comment?

:bingo:

I don't think this is specific to Bodis, but rather across the board.

I think the majority of people here regardless of parking service, are now seeing fractions of what it was years before.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

I recently discovered that and think it's a huge negative. Depending on the domain and it being a 1 or 2 click lander a high percentage of the ads I am seeing on my own parked pages are based on subjects I have personally searched for in the past, with little if any relationship to the current search term and domain.

It's not just parked domains. What you see is not necessarily what another visitor sees. I've found the same thing has happened with my searches on Google itself, especially if I'm logged into my Google account while doing it.

Advertisers are increasingly targeting their ads more narrowly, so It's possible that there may be specific ads available for certain keywords that will never show on a parked domain.

•••
...I've found the same thing has happened with my searches on Google itself, especially if I'm logged into my Google account while doing it....

I see the IBA effect regardless of being logged in to google or not. It's there when searching using yahoo too or not being logged in to any account at all.

Looks to me that a login makes little if any difference. Not sure how the technology works since it would seem like some kind of login and IP tracking would be needed for my prior search words to be used in the ads but no from what I am seeing every day.

This looks to be ongoing at random websites I am visiting, and all the parking services I have used, certainly not only voodoo or bodis.

hmmmm... maybe google has a secret cookie which sends the info to them installed in our computers! Seriously could that be true? It seems likely they do unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
•••
P.S. Is there a way to opt-out of IBA or at least have it used less?

That would depend on the parking companies account settings or arrangements with google. With your own adsense account, you can disable interest based ads by going to "allow & block ads / advanced settings / Interest-based Ads Preference", and enable of disable it there. I have experimented with it both ways, and see little change either way.

hmmmm... maybe google has a secret cookie which sends the info to them installed in our computers! Seriously could that be true? It seems likely they do unless I am missing something.

You can opt out of personalized ads here: https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/preferences/?hl=en#optout

Links about controlling your search history, remove it all, turn off , etc here: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=54068

•••
Could Bodis implement a feature to allow us to switch off interest based ads?

Would be a bonus if we could remove them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
The problem with Bodis is that they limit their max clicks to, say, 49c, while their competitors may pay for the SAME domain $2, $3, even $5.

•••
The problem with Bodis is that they limit their max clicks to, say, 49c, while their competitors may pay for the SAME domain $2, $3, even $5.

This may be true but let's look at it from another angle.

Other companies may pay you more but if you get a claw back you are screwed.

On Bodis, they may pay less but you don't have to worry about clawbacks. They eat that risk!

There is good and bad with all parking companies.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Guys,

I do not want this thread to become about BODIS, or issues with parking companies. This thread is about helping people with parking and sharing resources.

Sanfran; I will respectfully ask that your comments be tailored towards the theme of thread.

Once again people, I created this thread to help others. There are other threads out there if you have issues with parking companies.

I hope you all understand why I posted this and don't take it personal. I just want this to be a helpful and useful thread.

Thanks,

RJ

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back