NameSilo

Domain Parking Keyword Optimization Basic Tips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For those who are wondering how to optimize domain parking keywords, consider these simple tips;

Know your domain's traffic source and quality - by hosting the domains on your own server with traffic analyzer like Awstats. This feature is very common to cPanel. From there you will know geolocation and searched terms of your domains visitors. Use the searched terms as basis for your lander keywords. Know your visits geolocation so you''ll know what language to use for keywords and to what parking program will best monetize a foriegn traffic, for non-US.

Keyword Discovery - know what people are really searching that are related to your domain names. Get the top 15 highest searched kw and use them for the lander. It benefits users because you provide them with what they're searching that will result to a high probability for maximum CTR. KeywordDiscovery is also a good alternative for Overture keyword tool (OVT, now that's no longer working). It wouldn't show same result as OVT was providing us but it can be of help do determine rough estimate of domain with extension type-in numbers.

Adwords Keyword Tool - know how much advertisers are paying for particular keywords that are related to your domain name. Get the top paying, most searched that are synonymous to your traffic searches. Use this as "guide" to project possible revenue.

For expired domain traffic, use Google and Archive.org's Wayback machine for background and/or historical research.

Domain parking keyword optimization is be easy for everyone by using these basic methods and tools. This is also really helpful for other web marketing campaigns and SEO.

These simple process is very common to most parkers but can be of help to those who are learning and new.

I hope this helps and good luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks netPH!

What about wordtracker? Do you recommend that tool as well for keywords?

•••
•••
•••
Nice one :) I think this will inspire more and more people to get back into parking.

Thanks for compiling that one up and sharing it with us.

•••
thanks netPh! i tried keywordtracker and i must say its pretty impressive even its free trial account.

Anyone here has had any experience using the paid version of keywordtracker?

•••
How accurate is the free Keyword Discovery Tool?

The reason why I ask is one of the domain names that I own comes up with a very low search rate on the Keyword Discovery Tool. But when I check it in Google Adwords I get a bar graph that is 3/4 full? I thought that would mean more than a couple hundred searches in one year.

•••
^ Of course these stats are not 100% accurate. Keyword discovery stats are gathered from within their limited network of partner search engines and directories only. The figures are only a small % of the overall gross numbers of US searches that cannot be fully relied on. Just use it as basis and comparison.

•••
I have a keyword tip to add:
Don't be too overly specific with your keywords. If you optimize around a keyword that nobody bids on, instead of relevant ads you will get generic ads. They pay next to nothing because there are no relevant ads for your keyword. This is especially the case with high $ keywords. They may say they'll pay alot, but quite often there is nobody bidding on them.

An example: "Dsl" has a full page of ad results all the time. Often there are many low paying ads, but theres' no shortage of advertisers. Usually they pay around $.40 for my average. "Dsl flatrate" pays 3 times as much when there is advertisers bidding, but only gets bid on 3 or 4 days a month. Trying that Higher paying keyword I ended up getting less revenue. What happens is that during the other 27 days there are no relevant ads so I ended up getting .05 clicks from generic ads instead of .40 clicks from dsl related ads.

•••
Great advice bnite! But can please explain again concerning not being too specific with overlying keywords..

•••
NetPH,

Great post bro... rep up'd.

Cy

•••
JesusFreak said:
Great advice bnite! But can please explain again concerning not being too specific with overlying keywords..

Hopefully this example will make it clear. I have a domain that used to be a sattelite hacker site. It was specifically targeted to building a small circuit board to modify sattelite receivers. The hack no longer works, and the name has not resolved for years. Still it gets 10 or so visits per day.

I decided to park the name, so I started on keyword research and fumbled through googles site looking for high paying keywords. I found many strongly related keywords that the advertiser cost was over $20 in this specific field. I was extatic dreaming of the possibility of getting multiple $5 clicks per day. I meticulously tried each keyword for a week and never saw a click that payed more than $.05.

As it turns out, Google is happy to charge $20 for an ad click on "jtag pcb," but there simply isn't anyone willing to pay google $20. Eventually I found what worked was to stick with a more general term. "Prototype PCB" My visitors still get ads related to what they're looking for, but there are advetisers willing to bid on "prototype pcb."(sometimes) I don't get $5. I get like $.30, but thats way better than $.05.

•••
Sedo optimization tip

Probably, this can be interesting for those optimizing their parked pages with Sedo:

When you add keywords, Sedo places them into title tag and in some places of parked pages depending on template so they are indexable by search engines.

It is possible to place two sets of keywords to one page, one set is responsible for text ads and second is just plain text that helps to rank better in search engines because it will add relevancy if two sets of keywords are related.

Example:

one has optimized some page with say "car sales" keywords. These keywords are seen in title tag and on parked page in search engine result page (example for Phoenix Blue template):

Title:

"Somedomainname.com" - The Best Car Sales Resources and Information.

Description:

Car Sales | ........

after some time (after few weeks when parked page was indexed by search engines) one changed keywords to "auto insurance". Then, title tag will contain "auto insurance", text ads will be relevant to "auto insurance" and "auto insurance" will be added to the page. But, "car sales" will not disappear from page! It wil be next to "auto insurance", at least for Phoenix Blue and Retro Green templates. When people do search, they will see in search engine result page someting like that (example for Phoenix Blue template):

Title:

"Somedomainname.com" - The Best Auto Insurance Resources and Information.

Description:

Auto Insurance | Car Sales | ........

So, in case of those people who is not so interested in auto insurance but, rather, interested more in car sales, the chances that they will click that page are getting higher. And because auto insurance and car sales are related topics, they probably will click some ads on that page as well.

If you use low competition and highly searched keywords, it should help to page's search engine ranking. I don't know how much but every thing counts in parked page optimization. BTW, in the case above that page is searchable not only for "Auto insurance" but for "Car Sales" as well.

But this could be even funnier. If you change keywords third time after few weeks say to "Car Dealers", the description on search engine result page will look like this:

Car Dealers | Auto Insurance | Car Sales | .....

Thus, although Sedo doesn't put keywords into description meta tag, users still can manage description which appears on search engine result page. And search engines will see that you change content frequently, this is a plus and relevancy of parked page wil increase with every indexing. Of course, one has take into account that keyword density should not be too high - this will decrease ranking.

Sorry for long post guys :)

Last edited:
•••
I'm very new to this but, I've been trying this tool out and I think it may be a big help when determing a keyword the user may be looking for.

http://www.quantcast.com/

While the expired domains I have are not listed, I have used the tool to check out active sites that still linke to mine.

There is an "Audience Keywords" section that shows what the likely keywords are for the audience.

A few weeks ago I picked up only-yours(.)net. It was a fanlisting site. It presently gets around 80uv a day. My first try was fanlistings then movies and after six days and 481uv with only one click (although it was a .85 click!) I was at a loss for a new key word.

Thie fanlistings.org was a backlink to my site.
http://www.quantcast.com/thefanlistings.org

Based on the Quantcast info I'm tring quizilla, next try is naruto.

I'll post the results in a few days........and if anyone has any ideas on improving clicks I'd appreciate the ideas.

•••
kriss05 said:
Probably, this can be interesting for those optimizing their parked pages with Sedo:

When you add keywords, Sedo places them into title tag and in some places of parked pages depending on template so they are indexable by search engines.

It is possible to place two sets of keywords to one page, one set is responsible for text ads and second is just plain text that helps to rank better in search engines because it will add relevancy if two sets of keywords are related.

Example:

one has optimized some page with say "car sales" keywords. These keywords are seen in title tag and on parked page in search engine result page (example for Phoenix Blue template):

Title:

"Somedomainname.com" - The Best Car Sales Resources and Information.

Description:

Car Sales | ........

after some time (after few weeks when parked page was indexed by search engines) one changed keywords to "auto insurance". Then, title tag will contain "auto insurance", text ads will be relevant to "auto insurance" and "auto insurance" will be added to the page. But, "car sales" will not disappear from page! It wil be next to "auto insurance", at least for Phoenix Blue and Retro Green templates. When people do search, they will see in search engine result page someting like that (example for Phoenix Blue template):

Title:

"Somedomainname.com" - The Best Auto Insurance Resources and Information.

Description:

Auto Insurance | Car Sales | ........

So, in case of those people who is not so interested in auto insurance but, rather, interested more in car sales, the chances that they will click that page are getting higher. And because auto insurance and car sales are related topics, they probably will click some ads on that page as well.

If you use low competition and highly searched keywords, it should help to page's search engine ranking. I don't know how much but every thing counts in parked page optimization. BTW, in the case above that page is searchable not only for "Auto insurance" but for "Car Sales" as well.

But this could be even funnier. If you change keywords third time after few weeks say to "Car Dealers", the description on search engine result page will look like this:

Car Dealers | Auto Insurance | Car Sales | .....

Thus, although Sedo doesn't put keywords into description meta tag, users still can manage description which appears on search engine result page. And search engines will see that you change content frequently, this is a plus and relevancy of parked page wil increase with every indexing. Of course, one has take into account that keyword density should not be too high - this will decrease ranking.

Sorry for long post guys :)

Thanks for info!

•••
learn so much from your tips, Big thanks.

Last edited:
•••
Namedrive optimization tip

This is simple optimization tip for Namedrive parked domains, probably it would be of interest for new Namedrive "customers" :)

In case of 1-click templates, often it is difficult to collect many relevant ads for some keyword set, for example with geographic names in it, on one resulting page. I mean, if one uses, for example, "Raleigh real estate" and "Raleigh North Carolina real estate" , resulting page 1 will contain ad "Raleigh homes", resulting page 2 will contain "Raleigh condos", but very often these two ads will not appear on the page together, whether one uses first or second keyword set. Probably, they will appear together in future but who knows.

It is possible to increase ad relevancy in the above case. The way is to increase the weight of "Raleigh" in keyword set by simple repeating this word one or two more times: "Raleigh real estate Raleigh" or "Real estate Raleigh Raleigh". So, often it works, and both ads will appear at the same time more frequently, which will increase page relevancy as well as probability that people will click ads.

However, sometimes it will work in opposite way, i.e. resulting ads can be less relevant, compromise is achieved by trial-error approach.

•••
kriss05 said:
This is simple optimization tip for Namedrive parked domains, probably it would be of interest for new Namedrive "customers" :)

In case of 1-click templates, often it is difficult to collect many relevant ads for some keyword set, for example with geographic names in it, on one resulting page. I mean, if one uses, for example, "Raleigh real estate" and "Raleigh North Carolina real estate" , resulting page 1 will contain ad "Raleigh homes", resulting page 2 will contain "Raleigh condos", but very often these two ads will not appear on the page together, whether one uses first or second keyword set. Probably, they will appear together in future but who knows.

It is possible to increase ad relevancy in the above case. The way is to increase the weight of "Raleigh" in keyword set by simple repeating this word one or two more times: "Raleigh real estate Raleigh" or "Real estate Raleigh Raleigh". So, often it works, and both ads will appear at the same time more frequently, which will increase page relevancy as well as probability that people will click ads.

However, sometimes it will work in opposite way, i.e. resulting ads can be less relevant, compromise is achieved by trial-error approach.

kriss05,

Two great posts in this thread, rep up'd.

Cy

•••
•••
Thanks Cy and JesusFreak

More tips coming... :)

•••
Let your parking companies help each other

OK, while news about Bodis domaining are getting hotter and hotter :) here is another simple optimization tip that helps sometimes.

Example: Sedo + Namedrive.

Unfortunately, no one parking company combines all major functions that can dramaticaly increase revenue. Most of parking companies accept at least two kinds of traffic aka "natural traffic": from type-ins and search engine results. Sedo allows advanced optimization of parked pages while Namedrive has great templates, relevant ads, high payouts (they even pay $2 per click on mugs-related domain :o ) If these functionalities could be combined into one parking platform, revenue would increase enormously.

Well, in the above case of Sedo and Namedrive, let Sedo help ND.

Say someone has some domain parked with Sedo. This domain doesn't have huge type-in traffic. After thoroughful optimization with low competition and highly searched keywords (and relevant to domain name as much as possible) this domain starts to get enough traffic but revenue is low - usually due to low quality Sedo templates, low payouts and lack of relevant ads. If this is the case, this domain should be moved to another parking like Namedrive. If one finds at ND ads that are relevant to keywords that domain was optimized with at Sedo, revenue will increase: great ND template, relevant ads + high quality search engine traffic. It is even better to analyze ND ads and Sedo ads before starting optimization at Sedo in order to choose more acceptable domain and keywords.

So, after some time of getting nice revenue at ND it coud drop down in one-two days. This is because search engines reindexed that page but with ND template which is generally has weaker SEO capabilities (but not always) than Sedo does. A simple trick here is to move that domain back to Sedo before it would be reindexed again. So, move it back, change keywords slightly (to refresh content, usefull for search engines) or hold it like it is and wait for reindexing. After that move domain to ND again and enjoy good ND payouts.

Some experience is needed with SEO to understand how frequently parked pages are reindexed but once you got it, life will be easier. This is another "legit" way to drive traffic to parked pages because it deals completely with natural traffic coming from search engine result page.

Another way is to build minisite, optimize it and, if it doesn't earn with say Google Adsense, move it to parking platform like ND and repeatedly move it back to minisite before reindexing.

Last edited:
•••
wheres the analysis tool on namedrive??

Last edited:
•••
kriss05 said:
Another way is to build minisite, optimize it and, if it doesn't earn with say Google Adsense, move it to parking platform like ND and repeatedly move it back to minisite before reindexing.

I like this idea but there is no set date and time when sites are indexed. So... what happens if you don't put it back in time?

•••
then it will just be reindexed with say ND template. So far it is ND policy that they don't have strong SEO tools due to the fact they use Google feed so after such reindexing domain will loose much of its search engine ranking. But not for ever: wait for next reindexing and put domain back in time. As to knowledge about exact date of reindexing, someone should wait for such reindexing say 2-3 times in order to get more exact data.

•••
I appreciate all of these great tips! I'm still trying to figure keywords out. A few questions, to all you keyword gurus: I understand that you don't want to put too many keywords on one page because this will make the Google gods angry somehow (what exactly happens if you do "keyword stuffing"?) So would I be correct in assuming that even on a parked Web site you don't want to put too many keywords on the site?
Also - I am thinking of parking a plastic surgery site to see how it does, because the keywords are very high paying. I would most likely pick the name of a big city, and then a phrase like "cosmeticsurgery(cityname), on the theory that people would be searching for a local doctor. Any suggestions for keyword optimization for a parked site?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back