Dynadot

Domain owner murdered partner...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Well, I was trying to buy a domain and it turns out that the owner is in prison for murdering his partner!

Now I'm left wondering if he'll sell it at a discount so he can buy some prison cigarettes. ;)

Anyone else have a crazy domaining story?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How'd you find out? Did his e-mail have an auto-reply saying he's out of the office and serving time in prison?

•••
How'd you find out? Did his e-mail have an auto-reply saying he's out of the office and serving time in prison?

LOL. I Googled his email. His name popped up and I double checked his WHOIS location against the articles information. Exact match.

•••
like domaining partner or sexual partner?

•••
•••
There are few possibilities why he murdered his/her partner
1. His/Her partner throw a low ball offer
2. His/Her partner said your domain worth reg fee
3. His/Her partner refuse to lend money to renew domain.
4 His/Her partner to him "you can never be a successful domainer"
5. this_username_was_banned never buy your domain even if you kill me.

•••
Can you trade a pack of cigarettes through escrow?

•••
There are few possibilities why he murdered his/her partner
1. His/Her partner throw a low ball offer
2. His/Her partner said your domain worth reg fee
3. His/Her partner refuse to lend money to renew domain.
4 His/Her partner to him "you can never be a successful domainer"
5. this_username_was_banned never buy your domain even if you kill me.

Hah!

Can you trade a pack of cigarettes through escrow?

Hmm. I've heard stories but I'll call and ask tomorrow. ;)

•••
Hah....so this was the inspiration for your ''no domaining in prison" flippa listing. :xf.smile:

•••
•••
I don't think your crazy story can be beaten, Shane lol.

I'll try: I once purchased a misspelled domain. Crazy!

•••
Hah....so this was the inspiration for your ''no domaining in prison" flippa listing. :xf.smile:

Hah! It actually wasn't. Pure coincidence!

I don't think your crazy story can be beaten, Shane lol.

I'll try: I once purchased a misspelled domain. Crazy!

It i absolutely ridiculous.

Side note, I just spent $150 on a typo last week! Ugh...

•••
Must have co-owned several LL and NN com to do that type of dirty deed!

•••
Perhaps he suffers from a domain brain damage and the partner had just bought killme.com

•••
•••
•••
Ok this one time..... Actually you win

•••
•••
Pretty sure there's another "crazy domainer stories" thread floating around here somewhere.

I recall one other domainer murder mystery. I'll post the link tomorrow.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
My craziest domain story: some years ago, I was wondering if I should buy some LLL.it domain and asked an opinion in an italian domaining forum.
One of the pros there told me that "it wouldn't be a great investment, unless it was something great such as LUV.IT"
I went to check on a registrar, out of curiosity, and realized LUV.IT was available. Registered it, and one year ago sold it for 25.000 EUR - by far my biggest sale and definitely making my domaining hobby worth the time I spent on it

•••
My craziest domain story: some years ago, I was wondering if I should buy some LLL.it domain and asked an opinion in an italian domaining forum.
One of the pros there told me that "it wouldn't be a great investment, unless it was something great such as LUV.IT"
I went to check on a registrar, out of curiosity, and realized LUV.IT was available. Registered it, and one year ago sold it for 25.000 EUR - by far my biggest sale and definitely making my domaining hobby worth the time I spent on it
Great story! How'd you sell it?

•••
Actually the story is longer and more interesting than I made it, because the domain was "sold" two times, but first time... I had it back!

First time I "sold" it, it was an american company that wanted to acquire the domain for a startup.
They sent me a direct email, as they found it in the whois info.
My price for them was EUR 15000 but (essentially as it was a startup) they asked me if they could just pay the half, 7500 EUR, and if after two years the project would have failed being funded and / or generating revenue, I would have the domain back.
This was regulated by a signed contract.

After two years, they failed to reach their objective, so I managed to have the domain back, and essentially gained 7500 EUR for free. This was - I think - in 2010.

One year ago, when I was out of the domains business, another startup (mexican) asked me to acquire the domain. I raised the price to EUR 25000 also because since 2006 I had been using the email for my personal account, and losing it would have been a complication.

After a couple of months they confirmed they were interested in buying the domain and accepted a condition to keep my email account up and running. Luckily the buyer was a very honest and cool person, and one year after the sale I am still using my @luv.it email on a daily basis.

In the end, from LUV.IT I gained EUR 32.500 - and I was directly contacted by the buyers "both times" I sold it.

Now I have no idea if I was using a professional brokerage service that could have reached even higher figures, but I guess I am happy with what I got :)

•••
I went to check on a registrar, out of curiosity, and realized LUV.IT was available.

OMG awesome

That will teach you to check availability even if it seems the name must be taken 100%

•••
Out of curiosity, I just found the original link to that conversation :)

http://www.alverde.net/forum/compravendita-domini/80267-regalo-domini-3-lettere.html

the LUV hint was given in private before this message. I was receiving $400 offers for it at that time.

And yes - always make sure to check availability.

But I would say 10 years ago there was less automation around the whole thing. I had already then built an AJAX domain-search engine (that I am still using now) that automatically searched for every combination of wordlists, letters, etc. in every selected extension.

At that time I also found many 4L .com domains that today would be considered "gorgeous", and shared them as I thought they were uninteresting :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back