IT.COM

Domain Names in China: .com.cn versus .cn

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I own two domain names: one that ends with ".com" and one that ends with ".cn".

Someone else owns the same name that ends with ".com.cn".

I want to sell my two domain names in China. Does the other owner have an advantage over me, since his ends with ".com.cn"?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it depends your domain its necessary that the end user had to got it for their's brand's design

•••
i studied abroad in shanghai, china last semester. noticed that 80% of domains were .com.cn for some reason. hope that helps.

•••
.cn

Sites like sina.com always have a .com.cn. I do not know if someone would buy a domain for use in China if they can not buy the .com.cn domain name along with the .com and .cn.

•••
It depends as said above but .cn looks more generous than .com.cn

•••
I'm from China :)
Overall .cn is popular than .com.cn in China domain market.

Some commercial companies enjoy .com.cn more because .com.cn contain both .com and .cn so it looks more official than .cn
For online entertainment websites they no doubt prefer .cn because it is shorter, easier to input.
Here are two facts:
1. com.cn started at 1997 whoile .cn only showed up at 2003, so some big websites still use .com.cn as their main web adress.
2. In auctions the price for .cn is twice higher than .com.cn for same prefix.

Last edited:
•••
.com.cn is rapidly losing popularity in China and as the op said sales of .cn are much higher.

In addition you can get idn.cn which is on the verge of exploding whereas ,com,cn only currently caters for ascii which is predominately pinyin or numbers.

idn.cn/.中国/.中國/.com is where it is going to be at very soon.

•••
Neither. Stick with .COM. IMO.

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that this is a FREE appraisal. This is a guess at quick flip resale value not an unrealistic end-user price. Often times my appraisals are rushed, too low, or too high. Sometimes my advice is totally wrong and occasionally downright dumb. If the post stamp is after 5:00pm EST, the chances are even greater that inaccuracies will occur due to blood alcohol levels.

•••
Not sure about SLD domains ... the .in bubble sort of burst although who knows, long term investors with true premium names may succeed depending on what the country locals give in terms of devotion (!) to the cctld....

I think that gTLD (com/net/org/info) are still better bets on the whole, unless you're targetting an established ccTLD market (.de/fr/ca/co.uk/us)

Rob

•••
Thanks for everyone's help.

I am targeting China. Does anyone know how to go about finding an email address for anyone in the marketing department at China Mobile? I've done many Google searches.

Thanks.

•••
Neither. Stick with .COM. IMO.

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that this is a FREE appraisal. This is a guess at quick flip resale value not an unrealistic end-user price. Often times my appraisals are rushed, too low, or too high. Sometimes my advice is totally wrong and occasionally downright dumb. If the post stamp is after 5:00pm EST, the chances are even greater that inaccuracies will occur due to blood alcohol levels.

Particularly as China are advocating the use of idn combined with .cn/ .中国. :p

•••
I would be happy to have a .cn rather .com.cn. It should be one extension.

•••
If you got same name end with .com. You can sell him at a decent margin.

Chinese chooses com.cn not because it's a ccTLD of cn. But it has a "com" in it.

•••
.cn has become more popular than .com.cn

Only a few big portals like sina use .com.cn as their main website. Others have moved to .cn

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back