Dynadot

poll Domain name with plural and singular noun, which is better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain with plural and singular noun?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Plural (MyBooks.com)

votes
    48.8%
  • Singular (MyBook.com)

votes
    51.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

craco

Established Member
Impact
Hi every one,
In your opinion, domain name with plural and singular noun, which is better?
For example, MyBook.com and MyBooks.com, which one do you prefer? (please choose one, don't say you like both)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Full agreed it depends which your end customer/buyer need ....
It's easy to say that. But, what if you only wanna sell domains? You only choose one to introduce?

•••
It's easy to say that. But, what if you only wanna sell domains? You only choose one to introduce?

Again it depends.....
Suppose I am high-end writer and need a name for it then I choose Mybook.com
If I want to run a online shopping store or e-books store and need a worldwide platform then I will prefer Mybooks.com

Hope it helps you!!

•••
its subjective depending on the name and its intended use. Based on that, you wont find one single clear answer.

•••

• If you handreg a domain: Take sing + plural (as long it makes sense and both are available)
  • If you buy from a reseller a domain: If both are available, take both (as long it makes sense), if he/she has only one version- you have no other choice :)
  • If you want to buy a domain from a marketplace and both are for sale: AGAIN: ask yourself what purpose has the name + can you find for the "sing purpose" or for the "plural purpose" more end users

Last edited:
•••
  • If you handreg a domain: Take sing + plural (as long it makes sense and both are available)
  • If you buy from a reseller a domain: If both are available, take both (as long it makes sense), if he/she has only one version- you have no other choice :)
  • If you want to buy a domain from a marketplace and both are for sale: AGAIN: ask yourself what purpose has the name + can you find for the "sing purpose" or for the "plural purpose" more end users
Pretend you own both :) But in marketing sense, you should choose only one to make sure that your campaign works effectively. You may sell the singular domain, and then tell your customers that you give the the plural as a bonus (or vice versa).

For example, It takes more than $300 to list ur domain as premium on Flippa. Now, you don't wanna pay >$600 to list both, so which one you choose to introduce?

•••
You may sell the singular domain, and then tell your customers that you give the the plural as a bonus (or vice versa)
If one of them doesn't feel very fluent, why not. On the other hand a nice "package" sells often better.

For example, It takes more than $300 to list ur domain as premium on Flippa. Now, you don't wanna pay >$600 to list both, so which one you choose to introduce?
AGAIN: The version that has more potential end users

Last edited:
•••
If one of them doesn't feel very fluent, why not. On the other hand a nice "package" sells often better.

AGAIN: The version that has more potential end users

"The version that has more potential end users", so please, which one?

•••
"The version that has more potential end users", so please, which one?

:?: AGAIN:
The version:
  • with better metrics
  • with better trends
  • with the better sound that rolls off the tongue
  • with the purpose that has more companies, start-ups...
  • and everything else that said here already (more than once!) eg.: estibot (only to compare), sales history...

Please read more threads. All your answers are here in this thread and this forum.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Again, it depends on the specific name itself.

I presume that the MyBook/MyBooks are just examples and not the exact names you have in mind.

For example, in English some words are the same in both plural and singular, such as "fish." Yes, some people say fishes, but it's not standard; therefore, Myfish would be far superior than myfishes.

Now if the name is MyCar/MyCars, I would choose MyCars over MyCar, no matter what Estibot says (which is just a bot) because I would intend to sell many cars, not just one.

MyCar.com would be a domainer's domain, a trophy domain, but if I intended to do business, I would select MyCars over MyCar -- every day of the week.

If I were to set up up a forum about cars, then I would choose MyCar because individuals would be discussing their individual cars, and it's a clean kicky name for that purpose.

So what I'm saying: we can't give you a definitive opinion based on a sample -- there are too many unknown variables having to do with the term itself and intended usage.

Obviously, you can't really reveal the actual domain on a forum (please don't), so you need to do a little checking on your own and not take general advice offered on a forum too seriously.

Food for thought.

:)

•••
Now 50% for plural, anhd 50% for singular.
I'm so confused.

And it's going to continue that way. I'm firmly in the camp of the singular whilst others are firmly in the camp of the plural. Whatever you think of Estibot as a valuation service, I think it can serve a purpose in determining which one is more valuable. From the few I've mentioned, the singular is up to 10 times more valuable than the plural. with the exception of cars.com, it's reversed. All we need to do to determine the reasoning why cars.com is more valuable than car.com, or why all the other domains I've quoted the singular is more valuable than the plural, and apply those rules to any given singular/plural. Of course as a domainer, you'd want to hedge your bets and get both :)

•••
@craco - Personally, I think you've beaten this subject to death. There is no one answer. Every domain is different and it's intended use would also make a difference.

•••
@craco - Personally, I think you've beaten this subject to death. There is no one answer. Every domain is different and it's intended use would also make a difference.
No, I just want people to share their opinions. That's it. You see, I just ask :)

•••
What more questions could you possibly want to ask about these valuations. It's been said already it entirely depends on the domain(s) and their usage. What more can be asked about this subject? I think your poll is skewed in favor of the plural simply because you are asking domainers. If you were to ask end-users, I'd think it would be skewed to the singular, because the singular is much more brandable than the plural. Apple/Apples is probably the best example of that.

Some of your previous posts sound almost troll-like.

•••
Singular to name your brand MyBook.

Plural to sell books
My Books.

MyBook is Brandable +1

•••
Hotels.com and Hotel.com are owned by the same company, but they chose to make Hotels.com the main one. Hotel.com redirects to Hotels.com

It makes sense because you select from Many Hotels, your are going to browse many options.

In other cases singular might be more relevant such as MyCar.com where you browse products to take care of your Car...

So your poll results cannot be accurate

Thanks
A

•••
I own bonusdeals dot com which I believe is better than bonusdeal dot com.

Who goes into a store and says, "I want bonus deal," that would be Hong Kong English. But now, bonusdeals...ah, that makes sense in all contexts!

I want bonus deals!

•••
I own bonusdeals dot com which I believe is better than bonusdeal dot com.

Who goes into a store and says, "I want bonus deal," that would be Hong Kong English. But now, bonusdeals...ah, that makes sense in all contexts!

I want bonus deals!
Same goes to reward and rewards. I believe rewards is better than reward

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back