Dynadot

poll Domain name with plural and singular noun, which is better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain with plural and singular noun?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Plural (MyBooks.com)

votes
    48.8%
  • Singular (MyBook.com)

votes
    51.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

craco

Established Member
Impact
Hi every one,
In your opinion, domain name with plural and singular noun, which is better?
For example, MyBook.com and MyBooks.com, which one do you prefer? (please choose one, don't say you like both)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many times when the singular is more valuable than the plural. And vice versa. It largely depends on what you are going to use the domain for. As an example, Estibot (I know) values MyBook.com at $27k and MyBooks.com at $5.7k. Now I'm not saying they got it right or wrong on this one, but Estibot values MyCar.com at $122k and MyCars.com at $9k. This has been my experience, too. That the singular is usually more expensive than the plural. The list goes on, Coupe.com/Coupes.com, Zebra.com/Zebras.com

Last edited:
•••
It depends on the domain name and what it is going to be used for.

If it's for selling multiple products (keyword-based), plural is better (for example; notebooks). If it's for branding, singular looks better (for example, macbook).

•••
Hi, it really really really depends on the name and it's purpose...

In your example MyBook/s are both ok. The plural one is in IMHO the better one.

BUT: If you had to choose between MyCar*com and MyCars.com, would be IMHO the sing better, unless you wanted to catalog you garage with your 100 cars and let them say "Hello World!" :) In this case would be MyCars of course the better one ;)

And you can always use Google Trends and Google Keyword Tools but don't forget to ask yourself "what purpose has the name?"...
Just like app and apps right :D

•••
There are many times when the singular is more valuable than the plural. And vice versa. It largely depends on what you are going to use the domain for. As an example, Estibot (I know) values MyBook.com at $27k and MyBooks.com at $5.7k. Now I'm not saying they got it right or wrong on this one, but Estibot values MyCar.com at $122k and MyCars.com at $9k. This has been my experience, too. That the singular is usually more expensive than the plural. The list goes on, Coupe.com/Coupes.com, Zebra.com/Zebras.com
Nice ideas, thank you!

•••
It depends on the buyer.
In the past, I've sold sometimes the singular and not the plural and vice versa.

That's why the experience is so important in domaining !

•••
I would definitely go for mybook

mybooks sounds like a place where an individual can store/showoff their book collection whereas mybook can be used as a brandable name for a company dealing with any digital reading material

just my opinion

•••
I would definitely go for mybook

mybooks sounds like a place where an individual can store/showoff their book collection whereas mybook can be used as a brandable name for a company dealing with any digital reading material

just my opinion
Thank you, nice explanation.

•••
Every one, now, 7 people prefer singular while 5 prefer plural noun.
Please cast your vote!

•••
Depending on the purpose of the site build on it would be a deciding factor if it was me. If I had a site about many of an item, say books then the plural would be best in my opinion. If the site was about a certain item, like a Book, then I would choose the singular.

Say you are an author and wanted a site just covering a particular book you wrote then the singular would be the best choice IMO.

If again, you were an author and wanted a site that showcases all of your books, writings, etc. then the plural would be my choice.

•••
I think mybook is better (refer facebook)

•••
Now,
Singular: 10
Plural: 7
Yo guys may prefer singular domains.

•••
I prefer whichever one I can sell for the most money :)

•••
I prefer whichever one I can sell for the most money :)
That's what I'm asking. How can you know which one you can sell for the most money? Plural or singular?

•••
Mybook is best as Facebook not facebooks..:xf.smile::xf.smile::xf.smile:

•••
That's what I'm asking. How can you know which one you can sell for the most money? Plural or singular?

As somebody else said, in most times the singular is more valuable because it holds more possibilities for branding than the plural,ie crowd.com/crowds.com. I also would imagine that most searches are done in the singular. But there are exceptions car.com/cars.com. I don't think there is a formula you can apply for such cases (there maybe one). It's probably down to your own judgement, and marketing skills.

•••
As somebody else said, in most times the singular is more valuable because it holds more possibilities for branding than the plural,ie crowd.com/crowds.com. I also would imagine that most searches are done in the singular. But there are exceptions car.com/cars.com. I don't think there is a formula you can apply for such cases (there maybe one). It's probably down to your own judgement, and marketing skills.
You mean the intuition haha

•••
Adam Dicker spoke about singular vs plural domains at NamesCon 2015.
Watch the video. (about 1.5 minutes)

•••
Now 50% for plural, anhd 50% for singular.
I'm so confused.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I notice that singular domain gets more votes than plural one in the poll, but in comment field, more people are talking about plural domain and its benefits.

•••
i think estibot will show you what are the best plural or singular.

the reality: singular is more better ..

•••
i think estibot will show you what are the best plural or singular.

the reality: singular is more better ..
But now, according to the poll, so many people like plural instead of singular doman.
Confusing hah? :)

•••
Hi, it really really really depends on the name and it's purpose...

In your example MyBook/s are both ok. The plural one is in IMHO the better one.

BUT: If you had to choose between MyCar*com and MyCars.com, would be IMHO the sing better, unless you wanted to catalog you garage with your 100 cars and let them say "Hello World!" :) In this case would be MyCars of course the better one ;)

And you can always use Google Trends and Google Keyword Tools but don't forget to ask yourself "what purpose has the name?"...

oh71qs.jpg

104jar5.jpg

2digklw.jpg

Full agreed it depends which your end customer/buyer need ....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back