IT.COM

discuss Domain Name Trades - Is there a market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you trade a domain name instead of a sale?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    46.7%
  • No

votes
    53.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
I have been thinking for a while is there a market for domain name trades, not sales but allow domain name investors to trade their names in full or partial i.e. Name + $$$ transaction?

It used to happen in the industry back in the day, I traded a few names myself.

What does everyone think? Should we have a section on NamePros dedicated for Domain Name Trades?

Would an Escrow service need to be used? if yes

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
domains are not stocks)

I know but you can still trade them i.e I own BookCase.us and you own Robbie.com - We agree to trade (swap/transfer) to one another instead of a cash transaction.

•••
I have been asked countless times in the time I have been in this field if I would consider a trade. I think that might have lead to a few trades ever.

The problem is really the same with the domain buy requests. There is a major gap between both sides.

You have people who overvalue their domains and undervalue others. There is usually a major disparity in quality between the domain one party wants and the one they offering.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yes, bring the domain trades.

•••
Trades have been suggested numerous times (by strangers), but without an escrow party to do it, and lacking an agreed-upon equivalent cash value, I've never done one. I think it's a maneuver that just adds problems since we don't live in a barter economy.

•••
The registrar Which Must Not Be Named can do domain trades. Although they charge $75 minimum that is about 75 average NP-sold domains worth, probably too expensive :smuggrin:

•••
As far as I know, Epik.com offers escrow service for domain trades.

•••
The registrar Which Must Not Be Named can do domain trades. Although they charge $75 minimum that is about 75 average NP-sold domains worth, probably too expensive :smuggrin:

:xf.smile:

•••
Tax kills the idea as someone would have to trade down and still pay tax on a perceived value.
Rental pool might be a more achievable idea.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back